12 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2019 12:26 PM by shabaz

Internal Server Error on Logout

gecoz

Hello there,

After checking if I could properly login to the site, on logging out I got the error shown below.

I don't know if it is related to the problems experienced on the platform recently, but I thought I would mention it.

Fabio

• Re: Internal Server Error on Logout
          gecoz

I have tried again today, and logging out doesn't cause errors anymore.

Fabio

gecoz

Spoke too soon... tried again this morning and I got this:

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.e461402.1552550162.b98323d

I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this. I'm using Chrome Version 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Debian 9, and all I'm doing is click Logout from the drop-down you get if you click on your name on the top right corner of the page.

Fabio

Dudley Nelson

Hi gecoz ,

I've looked into this. On the face of it, it looks like a relatively simple failure where the connection to our servers timed out. You've had a connection to our CDN, it's their connection with us that has timed out.

Looking at our servers around the time that you got this doesn't show anything unusual (although it was around the time our backups run which hammer server resources), so usually I would just write this off as a network/load blip and move onto something else.

Except for the fact that you got this twice! That gives me concern. You are either very very unlucky, or there is something else going on. Logging out is a relatively intense server side operation, believe it or not. There's a reasonable amount of server side logic that the system goes through when you log out, but even then, it's not so intense that I'd expect there to be regular failures in it.

I'll speak with our CDN and see if this is relatively common, but we have access to a bunch of reports and the number of errors we return to end users is very very small - we had some blips this week as we did restarts. But it is very easy to forget that every blip is an end user who has lost connection or been presented with an unfriendly error message.

It's also exceptionally hard for me to be able to see if there are a lot of people struggling with a specific URL or area of functionality. Errors we have on our site we have good tracking of, but we are a little more hostage to what our provider gives us when the error never even reaches our servers.

This weeks errors, you can see the spike for the restarts we did, and the blips in the run up to those restarts.

drilldown into Tuesday afternoon's spike - this is the two restarts we did.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      gecoz

Hi dudley.nelson,

Thank you for looking into this and for the information. I too believe this is possibly due to a timed-out connection leaving something stale behind.

But there is definitely something going on, as just before replying to your message, I have made sure I was still logged in (visiting some other pages, and indeed it let me access as logged in), then I tried logging out, and I got this again:

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.17e11602.1552567017.2799fad5

I know how hard is to track down those kind of issues, so I appreciate your effort. It is nothing major, as it is not impacting any functionality, but, as you said as well, I don't think those kind of server error should reach the end user (at least not so regularly as I am experiencing).

Again, thank you for your reply. Let me know if you need any more information.

Fabio

Dudley Nelson

errrrr what?

That decodes to the exact same error message, so there is something going on with your session tracking as you log out... I'm very confused.

I've had another look over the logs and realised that I'd made a fatal assumption when looking for your error while looking at the logs - that you'd be logged in! I've since found what I think is you in the logs, it appears that you tried to logout from this very page, after clicking on your avatar at the top of the page. I can see the requests for your avatar from what I am assuming is your session cookie, and then soon after I see that same session attempting to logout.

It appears you then go into a loop - when you log out, you are redirected, but in your case you are being redirected to the logout page, which then redirects you to... the logout page, which then redirects you to the logout page, and so on. Akamai are detecting this infinite loop and giving you the error to break the loop.

I've never seen that before. It doesn't happen to me when I logout (how many computer programmers does it take to change a lightbulb? The lightbulb works in my office!).

I'm going to try to perform the same test on your user in our beta site, which you do not have access to. It might be something specific about your connection that is causing it - in which case what I'd like to do is to grant you access to beta and have you try the same thing there - as then we'll have full logging and the logs won't be full of all the other people who access the site and make it much easier to see what is going on here.

gecoz

Hm... interesting.

On my side what I have done was try logging out from this page, and I got the error page. After getting the error page, I pressed back on the browser to go back to the the page, but this time I appear logged out (but still can see the avatar and my name, but the drop-down menu doesn't show all the entries - no logout for instance), so I had to reload the page in order to get the Login button instead of my avatar. Only then I was finally able to log in.

Just let me know what you need me to do, I'm happy to help.

Fabio

gecoz

Hi dudley.nelson ,

I have finally managed to find what was causing the problem, and indeed the culprit was this guy:

This Chrome setting was causing the session to be kept alive, and giving me grief not only with the e14 site, but also with many other. Now I have switched to "Open the New Tab page" on startup, and the problem has gone away!

I thought I would let you know. Thanks for your help.

Fabio

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    Dudley Nelson

That's very odd. I use that exact same setting, and while I'm an administrator on the site, to Akamai I'm treated no different from anyone else. I've not seen that issue at all.

I'm not doubting you when you say that changing that setting has stopped the issue. That's definitely a piece of the puzzle. But I question if that setting is the root cause.

If you can reproduce this, can you get me another error code? Those codes timeout after about 48 hours - if I can get a fresh one I'll speak with Akamai about it and see if there is something weird about your setup.

gecoz

Ok, I have now switched back to the old setting "Continue where you left off", and see what happens. I have to say, I had it set that way for a long time, without experiencing any problem, then all of sudden, I started noticing the weird behaviour on logging out the e14 site. Lately, also other web app started  complaining (Barclays Banking website for one) that the server could not understand the request. Obviously something was going on, and the browser session management probably was not doing its job properly.

After switching to "Open the New Tab page", Chrome must have performed a "clean-up", and all the errors disappeared.

I have to say that my browsing habits probably do not help the cause: I usually keep multiple windows open, and on each window I usually have something like 30-40 tabs open at once! And to top it up, I never shut the browser when I shut down the laptop, causing the browser to "crash" the session, and when I restart the browser I always choose to restore the previous sessions...

Anyway, I will keep perseviring with my bad habits, and see if I can get the browser into the same state again, and if it happens, I will send you the error code presto!

Fabio