7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2019 4:27 PM by beacon_dave

Soldering project for Army nerds

ctucht16

Hi everyone I am a novice to asking questions on here but I have a project in mind. This August I will be in Texas for my yearly training with the MN National Guard and with my section being electronics and all I am wondering if there is a easy way to teach my people about soldering. I am hoping to show them how fun and easy it can be by having everyone make a portable raspberry pi game console. I have a 3d printer to make the cases at home but I'd love it if there is a kit with all the components in it already. If someone has built one that I can use for inspiration then that would be cool too. I appreciate all replies.

• Re: Soldering project for Army nerds
          koudelad

Hello,

This is probably not what you want to start with (or you do?), but I can't resist linking this playlist. Avionics soldering by the books: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnOW2VdCTI&list=PLFh-hDpACrgZ2143k8X_qPAC0eLc9pWgU (in case the link won't work in the future, search for "expert level soldering").

From my point of view, I obviously do not do all the procedures, but it is good to know, what are you skipping during your soldering, compared to this.

David

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            14rhb

A great idea. How much time have you got with them and what timescales are you looking at e.g. 2 hours a week for 3 months or a single afternoon as part of a weekend away?

Soldering generally consists of (1) components to a PCB and (2) wires to sensors/connectors. It would be good for them to experience both in anything you plan. There is also Surface Mount Technology (SMT) which you may like to just show them for now.

You could have them working in pairs or threes to limit the number of soldering irons you need to provide? Cheaper approach but less fun.

You can get kits with everything in them to make a small project including a soldering iron - provide one per person and they get to keep the set afterwards? This approach is abviously a bit more costly but at least everyone can work at the same time. Something like https://cpc.farnell.com/ucreate/startsolderbeginn/learn-to-solder-kit-beginners/dp/SD02111  perhaps? Such a kit would give a sense of achievement but, with limited components, would give little experience, but perhaps enough still for an introduction. You could always have a second event with a more detailed project?

Rod

ctucht16

Im hoping we can get time before to teach the basics of soldering (wires, through hole and surface mount). Every tool kit we will be using has a soldering iron in it already. I'm just hoping to find something that is fun to build and has a practical use. I was planning on offering a kit to every one who wishes to buy and make, if they don't want to buy a kit then they can watch or practice on a scrap board i have at work. we should have about 11 people with hopefully a few hours a day for around 3 weeks. So time really doesn't matter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                DAB

Check the US Army achieves.

There were many electronics courses, including soldering that were staples.

When I was in Tech School, we watched several US Army training films on electronics maintenance techniques.

Check the Maker website, they have a lot of introductory articles on soldering.

DAB

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  beacon_dave

Perhaps something like the Solder Time watch kits ?

SolderTime 2

Not R-Pi, but Atmel/Arduino based so can be re-programmed after building.

1 of 1 people found this helpful