12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2019 2:31 AM by kmossman

Raspberry Pi system suggestions for my 10 year old son

laramorgan

My 10 year old is CRAZY about computers and is interested in setting up his own Raspberry Pi system.  Any suggestions on what I should get?  He saw a video about one being set up with a touch screen and the clear box.  Any suggestions?

• Re: Raspberry Pi system suggestions for my 10 year old son
          shabaz

Hi Lara,

There are links to a 'starter pack' here:

Raspberry Pi

that contains the Pi 3, as well as the power supply (it's slightly different to a typical phone USB charger, so it is needed), memory card and case.

Apart from that, a HDMI cable, and a keyboard and mouse (the Logitech wireless ones are convenient) and a monitor or TV with HDMI connection are useful.

The small touch-screen is not as useful, it is more for single-use projects (e.g. turning the Pi into a permanent music player perhaps, or for home control) and doesn't help much for someone setting up their own computer for learning and exploring, because the display is just too small to be usable - and in fact cannot be used in conjunction with a larger monitor/TV simultaneously, it is one or the other. Better to spend that money on a larger monitor/TV.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
            fmilburn

Hi Lara,

There are a number of choices but the official Pi 7" display is popular for several reasons

• It is well supported
            • It is about the smallest that I find the touch screen useable in desktop mode (the touch screen does not have the resolution or ease of use that a modern smart phone has however)
            • The Pi and the screen can run off of a single 2.5 A USB power adapter
            • A nice reasonably priced case is available for it

This is what I am using

Be sure to get a 2.5 A USB adapter and good USB cord, e.g. the official Raspberry Pi one as a lot of people make the mistake of buying an inexpensive one which sometimes fail to supply sufficient power.

Here are some example projects I have done with the kit listed above :

Good luck!  If he needs help or would like feedback on projects there are a number of Pi experts here on Element14.

Frank

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                14rhb

Good point about purchasing a quality and properly rated power supply - it is sometimes overlooked and causes people a lot of difficulties.

Rod

uscdadnyc

Hi Everybody. USCDADNYC (Edward Yee) here. I haven't been on this element14 Blog for Over Two Years. But Luckily I think raspberrypi.org has Frozen Further H/W Development on the RasPii. So with the Exception of Parts Suppliers changing (MCM Electronics is now part of Newark/element14?), Some of the stuff I did (two years ago) Still applies. Hopefully. I too put my RaspPi3 in a SmartPi Case alomg with the "official 7" TouchScreen. As I remember I had to solder wires from 7" board onto the RaspPi GPIO Pins. AAR1 Soldering might be a Little advanced for a 10-year Old.

AAR2 I used a Dremel Tool to "Free" the Full Size HDMI Connector that is hidden inside the SmartPi Case. With the use of a Right-Angle HDMI Adapter. You can have CONCURRENT Displays. The 7" Touch Screen and any HDMI connected TV/Monitor. I posted Pictures (two years ago) But I forgot the Thread(s). IDK whether they still  up at element14? AAR3 It is great to be Back and Contrary to my Moniker USCDADNYC, I am not in Trouble like Actor Lori Loughlin. I hear she is going from "Full House" to "Fuller House", to the "Big House" with a Cameo on "Orange is the New Black".

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  urkraft

You can download for free all issues of the MagPi magazine (the official Raspberry Pi magazine) as well as useful books about setting up and programming them and project suggestions free here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/#

The official Raspberry Pi website is https://www.raspberrypi.org/ It is a good place to keep updated about them as well as activities related (for example: Pi Jam).

- raymond

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                    uscdadnyc

I posted a Reply to Frank Milburn at 7:40PM EDT 13APR19. This concerned the RaspPi3 that we both have. BUT for your Ten-Year-Old Son. I suggest the Raspberry PI-W (W for Wireless, i.e. WiFi) . With a maximum of ~$30 (USD), one can have a great starter RaspPi for a Ten-Year Old. IN FACT you (& Son) can Have my RaspPi-Zero-W & accessories for FREE. Just contact me at my email address. So it is a learning experience, you can have your Son duplicate/buy parts to make his own RaspPi-Zero-W. Then "Pay-It-Forward" i.e. To a Peer of his Age/Interest. I can send Everything EXCEPT a) HDMI Monitor/TV b) Full-size HDMI Cable. BTW tmy Offer includes a microSD Card w/ the OS (Operating System)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      14rhb

Hi Lara,

Not wanting to confuse you, but following on from the good advice from shabaz and fmilburn you may, if your budget allows, you could consider some of the Raspberry Pi 'laptop' kits. Essentially turning the small Pi board into a reasonably capable laptop(https://cpc.farnell.com/pi-top/ptiugr200001/pi-top-3-rasperry-pi-laptop-no/dp/SC14901 ). There are some reviews on Element 14 like:

Pi-Top - A Raspberry Pi Laptop - Review

Pi-Top - A Raspberry Pi Laptop - Review

It is not particularly cheap, the screen is not a touch screen and I believe you still need to purchase the Pi. For many uses a low cost laptop or Chromebook would probably be a cheaper option. But for learning about the Pi, the Linux operating system and making Pi related hardware it is probably something to consider.

Personally, I would purchase the kit that Shabaz lists, providing your son with a suitable monitor (be that a new one or time on the family HDMI TV), keyboard and mouse etc and let him start out that way. Perhaps with some pocket money etc he can then step onwards to the touchscreen at his own pace and direction?

Rod

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        kmossman

There are a number of Pi kits available that come with sensors and devices like relays, motos, and such.  Osoyoo, though, makes a great high quality kit at a lower price.

Has your son done any programming?  Python is the default on the Pi though, of course, other languages/scripts can be used - bearing in mind the OS is a version of Linux.

Some knowledge of electronics is helpful....