1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 3:19 AM by elem2018

Kernel configurations reset by make command

elem2018

Hi There,

my environment:

BBB, ti-processor-sdk-linux-am335x-evm-05.01.00.11

After running

$(MAKE) -C $(LINUXKERNEL_INSTALL_DIR) ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE)  tisdk_am335x-evm_defconfig

I get .config file in the linux kernel root path

Now I changed CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=m to CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=y  in this .config file to get inbuild driver.

After that I built the dtb file

$(MAKE) -j $(MAKE_JOBS) -C $(LINUXKERNEL_INSTALL_DIR) ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE)  am335x-boneblack.dtb

Now strange thing happened:

CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=y in the .config file is set back to CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=m,   not what I wanted CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=y !

It seems that the make command reset the .config file.

Question:

How can I make sure that CONFIG_BRCMFMAC=y stays permanently, not reset by the make command?  I tried to do it in the tisdk_am335x-evm_defconfig file, but the same results.

Regards

Xi

• Re: Kernel configurations reset by make command
          elem2018

Hi,

excatly speaking it is not reset, but ovewritten.  Now I find out that the FMAC driver can't be set as built-in, running menuconfig I can only choose either FMAC as module or no FMAC. In the appropriate Kconfig file, I see the FMAC is defined as tristate,

so it is strange why only two states are allowed.  The Linux kernel versoin 4.14.67.  Thanks in advance for any hint

Regards

Xi