1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2019 4:48 AM by Christopher Stanton

Costs increasing, website getting slower...

Agent24

I want to post some feedback about my recent ordering experience. I don't really expect anyone to care, but you just lost a sale today and I'd like to tell you why.

I have been a customer of Farnell for over 10 years, and enjoyed fast delivery and better prices than RS-components, as well as the option to purchase most parts in small quantities

(RS sometimes only sells with MOQ of 50 pieces, for example)

However, after assembling an order today, I noticed that the shipping cost has increased, and also that the free-shipping threshold has increased from $45 NZD to $64 NZD.

This presents a problem - because these costs are not inclusive of GST, and now the minimum order value for free shipping costs more than it does at DigiKey, which is $66 NZD inclusive of GST.

So, I was able to purchase all the parts I was going to buy at Farnell, at DigiKey instead, plus some extra TorxPlus bits which Farnell doesn't sell, and all for LESS than what I would have paid if I had ordered from Farnell!

As a bonus, DigiKey's website is lightning-fast, as opposed to Farnell's which just seems to be getting slower and slower and slower... (I see there are long-running threads in the forum here about that too)

So, to sum up - my ordering experience from Farnell has been getting progressively worse, and now the pricing is also worse than DigiKey, who have a better stock selection anyway.

I'm not sure there is any compelling reason to use Farnell at all after this point....