3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2019 11:06 AM by BigG

State of Arduino by Massimo Banzi at Maker Faire B.A. 2019

jomoenginer

This was posted by Make where Massimo Banzi from Arduino gave a State of Arduino speech at the recent Maker Faire Bay Area 2019. 

Some highlights I pulled out of the speech.

• 30M downloads of the Arduino IDE per year but less purchased licensed products.
      • New Head of Open Source and Communities - Badly needed
      • Working closer with the Open Source Communities
      • Donating $50,000 to support Open Source projects
      • Intro to the new Re-imagined Nano line including some with multiple sensors
      • Arduino IoT Cloud updates
        • New features including SIM support for the MKR GSM 1400

https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/05/21/arduino-sim-the-new-cellular-connectivity-service-for-the-arduino-iot-cloud/

• Maps
      • Arduino Science Kit Physics Lab
      • Arduino CTC GO!
        • STEM Program for 14 to 17 year olds.
      • More work on FPGA support including FPGA IDE

I'm sure I missed some but it was quite informative

• Re: State of Arduino by Massimo Banzi at Maker Faire B.A. 2019
          BigG

Thanks for sharing Jon.

Treated myself to an extended coffee break (30 mins) while watching this. It's pretty good and as you say informative.

From my perspective I picked out these additional points:

• Started with a view on what makes Arduino IDE special (idea was to maintain just 6 or 7 buttons) despite pull for feature creep
          • Philosophy throughout is "Keep it Simple"
          • He sees great value in the "patron model" hence contributing back to the community and encouraging others to do the same - is he aware of patreon.com, I wonder
          • As part of their contributions they are also now members and supporting RISC V (hardware architecture) foundation
          • Continues to build on "Arduino Core API" (CHAINSAW) which looks pretty good and I think it opens up options to use other IDE's. Also encouraging other hardware architectures to pursue similar approach (and they're doing the same) to develop their own core API framework
          • As part of intro to Nano line he mentioned an integrated sensor option for the BLE version and revealed something about a machine learning option
          • Loved the iterative approach to developing a new IDE for FPGA's (we tried something then threw it away and tried something new etc.). What he revealed looked pretty awesome - drag n drop blocks etc.
          • Then, LOL - although it will be pretty cool , he mentioned at the end of talk the new Arduino IDE 2.0, which will have a "PRO" button. Looks like all the tugging for new features is about to take place as we will be given a new "complicated" PRO IDE option with debugging features and the rest...
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            ralphjy

Thanks, I would have missed this.

I have to admit that I use the Arduino IDE a lot.  Mostly for ESP boards and I recently used it for an Spresense board.  And even for Arduinos .

Lots of nice improvements on the horizon.  I like the new “pro” features for the IDE and the FPGA interface looks great.

I’ll need to get some of the new Nano IOT boards to try.

BigG

I subscribe to a few newsletters. This popped up earlier today and thought wow, nice to see Massimo's ideas being implemented for this new low cost RISC-V dev board...

From SeeedStudio... "In April, we added the full ArduinoCore-API interface to support Arduino IDE, Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and other development environments in so that all k210-based development boards can run Grove Arduino Library. "