6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2019 8:55 AM by rachaelp

Origins have vanished

ambios

Hello,

The origins of my parts on my board have vanished. You can see from the screen shot, with tOrigins and bOrigins turned on they are not showing. Obviously without origins I can't move parts or attributes. Any idea where my origins may have gone?

Thanks

tOrigins and bOrigins turned on but they're not there

Showing other layers but still no origins

• Re: Origins have vanished
          ambios

I saved my work, closed the program and restarted it - all is good. Sometimes you just need a restart, but strange behavior.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              rachaelp

Hey Patrick,

I'm glad restarting got it to work for you and I think I know why it did but it might help others if we can explain what the actual root cause of the problem was if they have a similar problem. Are you by any chance running EAGLE 9.4? If so I suspect you had the selection filter open at some point and changed the filter to not include devices. This will cause all the origin point to disappear as you are seeing. Could this be what happened to you?

Best Regards,

Rachael

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              madams

Same thing just happened to me. Had to save the file, quit eagle and relaunch.

rachaelp

madams  wrote:

Same thing just happened to me. Had to save the file, quit eagle and relaunch.

What version of EAGLE are you running? If it's a relatively recent version I suspect it's simply the objects got turned off in the selection filter. Hitting the "Reset" button at the bottom right of the selection filter pane will restore the default selection setting and resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Rachael

madams

Eagle 9.5.1. I did check the layer filter. Origins were on.

I'll try the reset next time, but at least turning eagle off and back on again worked.

rachaelp

madams  wrote:

Eagle 9.5.1. I did check the layer filter. Origins were on.

Yes the layer filter is one place to check, but this has been the case for a very long time so most people know to look there now. The "spike" I've seen in the last few months with people asking this question is almost always related to the selection filter. It's new in 9.4 (??) onwards so a lot of people don't know to look there too and it's not in a lot of the legacy tutorials which pop up in search results when people search for this issue.

If you make sure you have the selection filter panel turned on, either by issuing SET SELECTION_FILTER ON from the EAGLE command line or toggling it on from the view menu then you'll see in the panel you have two sections. The top selection allows you to filter the selection on object type and the bottom selection allows you to filter by layer. It's actually REALLY powerful and makes many tasks much easier so I highly recommend you try to use it.

Best Regards,

Rachael