9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2019 7:09 AM by Matt Collinge

General Preferences - Email Notification - 2nd

geralds

Dear E14 Support,

At May 17, I told you that my account settings, at the item "general preferences", there was changing the item "email notification" that was set to "no" and all checkbox items was unset.

Then I set it all to checked, so I received the email messages for so two or more weeks.

https://www.element14.com/community/message/275354/l/general-preferences-email-notification#275354

Today I checked it all again and still I saw, that all settings was still unchecked once again.

preferences

Why? Hmmmm.....

Does someone playing with the users account settings?

Or is there still a software bug -  e.g. after monthly web page updates ... "error-40" or so...

Please, I like ask you to check why the user settings are changing every time, because I did change nothing.

Thank you

Best Regards

Gerald

---

• Re: General Preferences - Email Notification - 2nd
          Christopher Stanton

That's odd geralds , I can confirm there's no settings change that we're aware of behind the scenes for this.

Can you please let us know the next time these settings change without you altering them, then if you can leave them alone, we can check the database/etc. to confirm if something odd is happening.

geralds

Hi Christopher,

yes I will do so.

May be at monthly E14 software updates during refreshing the data settings may some items be lost.

Well, I checked it now: all settings in the checkbox items are right set; 2019-06-06; 13:20 Central Europe.

Best Regards

Gerald

---

geralds

Hi Christopher cstanton ,

It seems that the settings of the notification preferences are be lost once again.

notification preferences

I have not changed any settings.

Can you please check this what happens with that setting? I leave it now deactivated until you checked it out.

May be also, this is what I think today, today afternoon I cleaned the history of my web browser, Chrome, but without deleting the cookies, meaning without deleting the login settings.

The IE shows me the same like Chrome.

Thanks

Best Regards

Gerald

---

Dudley Nelson

Hi geralds

Huh - that's really odd.

I can confirm that the database isn't being affected by whatever it is you are seeing.

Here's a screenshot I took of your dataset on June 5th

And here's a shot of it today

The checkbox you are looking at is the receiveNotifications column - as you can see, it has the same value in both.

So this instantly makes me think we're looking at a bug where the value is set to one thing but appears to be set to something else - but that begs an immediate follow on question.

Are notifications working for you? Or do they keep stopping working?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        geralds

Hi Dudley dudley.nelson ,

hm...

Well, today so at 2: PM, Central Europe, I marked the checkboxes again because I wanted to receive the emails.

If you need I can uncheck it for checking the settings.

I'm sure there is a bug somewhere.

Ok,

1: I clean up the history in my browser…. Then I'll see if there is the problem. One moment please...

Edit:

after cleaning the browser data:

IE and Chrome as well does not change any setting in the preferences.

1. I cleaned without deleting cookies.

2. I cleaned with deleting cookies.

-> all email notifications are keeping active checked in the checkboxes.

2:

Now I uncheck the checkboxes for you for confirmation if that was unchecked by manually.

Can you please check this now all checkboxes must be unchecked and the radio-button must be marked at "no".

preferences

I switched off the radio-button at 15:57 Central Europe time.

---

Gerald

---

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          geralds

Hi Dudley dudley.nelson

Well, the general preferences are now off one again, the 3rd time.

preferences 003

The last email I received today was at 8:06 AM, Central Europe.

This post was the latest what I received as email reminder:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/276728/l/re-reminder-post-your-pi4-projects-on-element14#276728

Please can you check this behavior? I leave it now switched off for you for checking out few days.

I did nothing, I did not change any settings in my user profile.

One point may be, I now have more than 50 unread posts in my E-14 inbox because I did not have time to read them all.

But can this turn off the settings?

I'm a bit frustrated now because I have no explanation for it, even though I've checked the settings everywhere.

I leave it now switched off for you for checking out few days.

I did not switch off, ok. This attached image shows that what I saw after clicking to the general preferences.

Best Regards

Gerald

---

Dudley Nelson

Hi geralds

I'm sorry, I saw this on Friday, but Friday was my last day for about a fortnight before I go away, and I didn't get a chance to take a look at this properly.

I can't say I disagree with your thought that you're up against a bug here, but I have no idea what that bug is. Like I said earlier, when I check the database, your settings are correct (as you want them) and don't match what you are seeing on screen.

Interestingly, your settings *have* changed since the last time I checked - you now have receive notifications off. Unfortunately that table doesn't have a "last changed" column so I can't see when these changed.

However, I'm about to go away and that's my priority for the next few weeks

cstanton - do me a favour and log a ticket for this?

And Gerald - any insight into what is causing this from you would be appreciated. I'll take a proper look at this when I get back from my travels.

Dudley

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  geralds

dudley.nelson  wrote:

Hi geralds 

I'm sorry, I saw this on Friday, but Friday was my last day for about a fortnight before I go away, and I didn't get a chance to take a look at this properly.

I can't say I disagree with your thought that you're up against a bug here, but I have no idea what that bug is. Like I said earlier, when I check the database, your settings are correct (as you want them) and don't match what you are seeing on screen.

Interestingly, your settings *have* changed since the last time I checked - you now have receive notifications off. Unfortunately that table doesn't have a "last changed" column so I can't see when these changed.

Well, I would suggest, not just "last changed" but "by who changed, user ID; or internal user or external user (may be intruder)" as well is needing.

However, I'm about to go away and that's my priority for the next few weeks

cstanton  - do me a favour and log a ticket for this?

And Gerald - any insight into what is causing this from you would be appreciated. I'll take a proper look at this when I get back from my travels.

Dudley

I do that. My logic in this is:

Why should I constantly change these settings?

Well, I do not do that because I need it. Odd, interesting is that all other settings in my profile have not been changed, only this for the email notifications.

Several months ago, in March, I reported that an E-14 website that I clicked might have shipped a Trojan.

That was when I played a part in collecting badges.

This website was not maintained by you, it was quite old.

! I ask you to check regularly the old posts, if strange things could have happened there. If necessary, please delete these old posts. !

Bug, or Spam, or... Danger? -> Virus?

At the same time, so for a year, I was involved with Microsoft's operating system Win10 in a "Windows Insider Program".

This means that my Win10 regularly had intermediate versions of the operating system on the PC.

This started the problems with my mail client Outlook. Since April, everything is now back to normal, I am no longer included in this program,

but I can not reinstall my operating system, because I have here run very important programs with older licenses, and I fear that after reinstalling these licenses lost go.

At the same time, you have updated your E-14 website several times.

Well, there may be many reasons why my settings suddenly stop working properly, do not stay as focused as I personally set them.

! I NEVER change anything if I do not have to change it. And if I change something, then it has its reason. !

One more point:

please change my user ID number, because it is public now. This can be a security risk.

I wish you nice travels with a lot of fun.

Best Regards

Gerald

Matt Collinge

Hey Gerald, I realise Dudley is dealing with this odd bug, but wanted to jump in & assure you that disclosing your user ID isn't a security risk.. that number is publicly available to any user (or guest) of the site if you know where to look.

Re. the bug, I'm going to raise that with the platform vendor today to see if they've seen anything like this before.

Thanks,

Matt.

2 of 2 people found this helpful