2 of 2 people found this helpful
Hi - I am a bit confused by your 8MB and 64MB boards!
I haven't worked with the micro:bit for a year or so, but as far as I am aware, there is only only one model, and that has 256 KB of Flash memory and 16 KB of static ram.
Are we talking about the same thing here - ie BBC micro:bit?
Perhaps you can send me a link to a description of the devices you have.
Sorry, I am mistaken for something else. I got two boards recently and one is 4-year old. The older one is working fine but newer ones are not. nRF does not detect accelerometer services whereas with same hex file older one starts accelerometer services and nRF is able to detect, even my app inventor app works. How and what to debug now? Both new boards not starting any of services making me think that there could be some some extra stuff which I need to do! Both boards could be faulty but I am doubting that. Any advice?
2 of 2 people found this helpful
There are 3 versions of the BBC micro:bit in circulation:
- Released to schools - no version marking
- On general release, marked 1.3B has separate accelerometer and magnetometer (compass)
- On general release, marked 1.5 has combined accelerometer and magnetometer
As a result of the hardware change, older .hex files may not work with the 1.5 version, depending on when and how they were created: https://support.microbit.org/support/solutions/articles/19000090748-updating-your-hex-file-for-the-motion-sensor-change
However, I don't understand why none of the services on the version 1. 5 board are not working. Did you use MakeCode to create the .hex file? Are you trying to start ALL the services at once? There are references on GitHub that this can/will cause problems with version 1.5.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Neil for your quick responses. Really appreciate it.
I have been creating new hex file with microbit.org so version should not be problem. It is correct none of sensor services are work on newer boards, that is really surprising to me and that is making me think that I am missing something. I am not starting all services to avoid any memory issues. I have tried temperature service, button service, accelerometer service ... one by one but nothing gets published, nRF is not able to detect anything and same is true for my android app.
Same hex file works with older board so I guess nothing wrong with hex file. Anything else I can try to root cause the problem?
Bitty accelerometer program works where result is shown on LED. So accelerometer is working. It is something that this value is not getting published on bluetooth. But as such bluetooth works because nRF is able to connect to bluetooth. Any advice/suggestion is appreciated.
Could there anything related with firmware or some onboard drivers? How can I try that?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
This problem seems to be escalating above my Pay Grade!
Obviously you are pairing the different micro:bits with your Android device and connecting them for testing purposes. One known issue is that when connecting to a fresh micro:bit, or re-connecting to a previously used micro:bit, after flashing a new .hex file, the Android device may NOT pick up the Bluetooth services correctly. See here for a guide on how to fix this:
http://www.bittysoftware.com/common.html#microbitblue2 Item 9 in the list of common problems
And just in case. here are the MakeCode blocks for a simple program that I use for testing the micro:bit bluetooth temperature service. I'm pretty sure you don't need it
If you still haven't fixed it then this is your final port of call https://support.microbit.org/support/home These guys get paid a lot more than me!
Top Right you can open a support ticket.
Let us know how you get on
Hello, I have 3 microbit boards, two with 64MB and one with 8MB. I am able to start services on 8MB board, but same hex file does not start services on 64MB board. Please suggest what needs to be done to start accelerometer services on 64MB board (none of services start on 64MB board)