12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2019 9:04 PM by martinvalencia

What Do You Think About This Product: Coeur CST High-Current Interconnect System

rscasny

I often don't think about connectors and connection system reliability. I like many people assume a connector from a quality company works reliably to connect wire-to-board and board-to-board applications. But what happens when there are is a misalignment between the two members that are being interconnected? Contact stresses can occur. Stresses can impede ideal contact/pin mating and in some situations increase contact resistance. When currents run higher and higher, in the hundreds of amps, undesirable thermal conditions can occur.

So, when I was introduced to this connection system -- Coeur CST High-Current Interconnect System -- which provides a degree of float to accommodate any misalignment, I found it interesting and wanted to share it with the rest of you.

The Coeur CST High-Current Interconnect System provides up to 1.0mm of float due to its wave spring float mechanism so entire core socket assembly moves within the float housing.I am told that it doesn't add stress on contacts in float position and it offers low mating forces. There's also no risk of resistance increase due to high contact beam deflection.

It's rated between 30.0 and 200.0A connects PCBs, bus bars and cable. It's used in data centers, PDUs, electric vehicles. When I saw them, I thought they could be used in any number of power converter types, load center terminations, battery banks, and more.

I'm not sure how they could be roadtested, but I could get some sample kits if someone has a decent way to test them. I've been told they've gone through rigorous testing already. But maybe a roadtest could be fashioned more along the lines of experimenting and observing its floating mechanism. If you have any ideas, leave a comment.

Randall Scasny

RoadTest Program Manager

• Re: What Do You Think About This Product: Coeur CST High-Current Interconnect System
          14rhb

Looks like a useful product to know about at least; I could see it being popular in robotics, R/C vehicles or car-audio:- where they strive for compact designs, currents can be high and the ability to easily swap parts would be beneficial. This Coeur system reminds me of OSP/OSSP RF connectors in their usefulness for producing neat solutions.

From a testing point of view a lead-acid car battery could be utilised to generate the required currents but some thought would be needed in the load selection/cooling of that load. Roadtesters would also likely need a clamp-current meter. <Safety Hat On>: the use of limiting fuses if using a car battery and eye protection against molten metal would seem appropriate as well !

Rod

5 of 5 people found this helpful
          • Re: What Do You Think About This Product: Coeur CST High-Current Interconnect System
            shabaz

Interesting item. From speaking in the past to an engineer working on high-power connections in computer server modules (like disk drive caddys etc) where there is a connector with hundreds of low-power pins, but several large high-current pins) they called it 'gatherability', where the connector would be able to align, even if there was an offset initially. It's important for servers etc because the people rapidly push and swap the cards, and so coarse and fine gatherability is needed in the connection method (coarse getting it roughly aligned as the connectors begin to approach each other, and fine gatherability as the connectors mate).

This particular contact is press-fit, which makes it versatile I think.. the documentation mentions it can be press-fitted into a PCB, or metal bus-bars. One could even make custom battery packs in this way, with nice high-power connectors. Roadtesters would need some drilling experience, or PCB creating experience, and at least a vice/vise, if not a small arbor press. As Rod says, it could also have uses for R/C, high-power car audio (the amount of junk fuse-holders out there is ridiculous.. one could design a much nicer holder with these connectors).

5 of 5 people found this helpful
              dougw

Nice looking connectors.

I could have used these when I was building a large autonomous vehicle robot that had a 2 KW inverter running off a large 12V power system (>150A). We used heavy welding cables. That was just for instrumentation - the drive train was a hybrid gasoline-hydraulic system.

Another application I had that could have used them was a high output water electrolysis system generating H-O gas. That one was only 1.5 KW (~100A) but it was also mobile.

I am not working on these at the moment, but still have a couple of beefy power supplies.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                ralphjy

Looks like an interesting and useful product.  There isn't a difference in the durability spec for float and non-float (200 mating cycles).  I would have expected the wave contacts to have a longer life with less deflection but I guess the life must be determined by the loss of plating.  I'm surprised that there is not a contact resistance spec (initial to over max cycles).  This might be a hard item to roadtest unless there are pre-assembled evaluation modules and/or busbars.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                  three-phase

They look like smaller versions of the tulip connectors we use on rackable switchgear.

Tulip contact

They come in a variety of different styles but are made to allow the switchgear contacts to align with the live busbars and outgoing bushings as the breaker is moved into its service position. They also maintain the correct contact pressure to prevent heat being generated from increased resistance.

An injection test set is the controlled way to push current through contacts and then measure the voltage drop across them to calculate the resistance. Thermography is also useful for monitoring the temperature rise as current is increased.

Kind regards.

6 of 6 people found this helpful
                    michaelkellett

They are interesting but the current rating (and size) is a bit big for most of my work.

If you don't get a better offer I would be interested in using a few of the double pin/socket carriers to make up plug and socketry for the electric outboard motor on my rowing boat.

(The goal is to have two batteries easily removable for charging and towing (batteries shouldn't stay in the boat when towing).

And I could provide comments on how I got on and pictures etc.

MK

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      waelect

This was a product i was looking for for a test jig at work. I would be very interested in the performance in relation to low frequency RF for the test jig. The concept was to place a dual polarised LNA connected to a 4 port Vector Network Analyser. The issue I had with the current test jig was slow to connect and required a lot of fidgeting to get good analysis. I have improved the design although this connector could allow for speedier connection.

This was a refinment into making testing more efficient compared to my current practices. Unfortunately, although I designed a test jig board without these connections I was unable to perform a time/cost analysis for the test. Still, like most things It would stay in my mind fo rthe next application.

Malcolm

rscasny

Hi All,

I was just informed that my boss has requested 3 sample kits for me to give to anyone who is interested. I'm not sure exactly what sizes or components are in the kit, though. If you are interested in getting a kit and giving some feedback, message me or leave a comment. If you were working on something that you think might benefit from this kind of component, mention that. If you get the kit and in the end you need a different size, I'll try to get it to you.

Randall

martinvalencia

Good day!

I'm very interested in your product and I would love to try it, I work in a mineral production plant (copper) and also in brick manufacturing plants (Peru-Arequipa), we always work with motors from 100HP up to 200HP, we have Siemens and scheneider variators, We always work with amps greater than 30A.

I'm interested in learning more about your product, given that the plants where I work are always looking for more modern and efficient solutions for their electrical work.

attached photos

I hope ur soon answer!!

Best Regards

Ing. Martin Valencia

Peru - Arequipa