71 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2020 3:38 PM by Jan Cumps

Altium Circuit Studio Development???

engineereddownunder

My license for Circuit Studio has just come up for renewal, and after just double checking there has been next to no activity in the development world around Circuit Studio - is it worth renewing the license or is this product a dead duck? The last version release was in May last year with apologies for how little it contained and promises of a more major release later in the year - which never came, and which has been followed up by silence (as far as I can tell) from Altium... Thoughts? Anyone seen a recent roadmap for this software? I actually really like the software but don't want to pour money into something that is not being actively developed.

• Re: Altium Circuit Studio Development???
          batuu

Same situation here. The silence on such questions is depressing ... Altium appears to be massively strengthening its marketing and sales activities for Altium Designer. They don't care about the CS users. The only way to grab their attention is probably to throw in a lot of money and buy an upgrade to AD.

frog

Agreed, I hope I've been an active supporter of CS but I can't see that I'm getting much back for my subscription.

sstallion

I keeping hoping 2.0 is just around the corner, but it's been over a year since 1.5 was released. By chance, I had a conversation with an Altium rep this morning about purchasing AD - they're still offering a 40% discount until the end of June to switch from an existing tool (even CS) to AD. I'm considering it, but given I still have a couple of years of maintenance left on CS I don't want to waste the money (not to mention the 1.8K USD maintenance for AD is exorbitant).

frog

I'm bumping this thread in the hope that there will be some kind of official response...

engineereddownunder

Yes thank-you, was about to do that myself - do Altium even look at this forum?

frog

To the best of my knowledge they don't, but hero and general good bloke Peter Barnard does, and may know whom to ask.

Hi Frog / Jeremy. Altium do look at the forums but only occasionally post. I'm in regular contact with Altium but at present they don't have any plans regarding the next version of CircuitStudio that can be made public. They are well aware users are asking the question and I personally expect there to be an update in due course.

engineereddownunder

Thanks Peter, its nice to know something is going on in the background - concern is simply that if the Altium team have dropped the product without telling anyone then continuing support would be a waste of time. Any news from Altium would be better than complete silence, even if its something along the lines of the product development roadmap is being stretched out, hence the fact no updates have been seen as expected late last year (if that was the case). Appreciate your input!

lamabrew

Only because I just had lunch with a friend today that's looking to move off PADS and thought CS might be a good fit and was asking me questions...

IMHO Altium is shooting themselves in the foot (feet?) badly with no solid roadmap plans and no apparent commitment to a mid-level product. It's going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy that it fails in the marketplace.

I suspect at this point that many people that would consider switching to CS won't because of fear of spending time on a dead-end tool.  Those stagnant sales numbers then become the 'proof' that there's no market here and all of us that did buy into CS in the past will be tossed in the bin.

I would have liked to promote CS as a solid offering with a bright future for someone doing non-complex designs on non-daily basis, but really couldn't do that given the uncertainty.  (For him the lack of built in 3D output in PADS has him looking for a better option, as well as he felt that since the sale of Mentor that PADS is being under-invested in/left to die a quiet death...certainly CS 3D output is killer, but I can't argue against under-investment.)

For me, the three things that I really would like to see get addressed soon are:

• Absolutely no useful library revision control. You can't open a design and get a report of where the design database and library databases are out of sync, nor any intelligent way to decide what should be synced (i.e. there are plenty of good reasons to not move a specific component to a later rev) nor a way to handle merging parameters that might be in conflict. (oh and please fix the wonkiness in using integrated libraries when updating).
                                  • No support for PCB panelization unless you do a hacky work around.  For me 80% of the PCBs have to be panelized, and I have reasons to control that vs. letting the fab or assembly house do whatever they feel like.
                                  • Make variants useful.  i.e. allow for different components in the same position (like where the same PCB for a power board can be built to output two different voltages by changing a resistor...).  Yeah you can do it by manually editing the BOM, but that opens up so many possibilities for error...

For me AD is way overkill both in capability and price relative to what I need at present.  Of course in the future maybe my designs do start needing "big iron" CAD but the experience with CS isn't leaving me with a positive vibe about Altium.

This forum and help from Peter are really positive aspects to CS but there's only so far that can go.  So I'll add my voice to the chorus of users asking for some indication that Altium can find a way to make CS successful and continue to grow it.

frog

I'm bumping this thread again in the hope that there will be some kind of official response...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  lamabrew

Seconding that bump...back using CS after doing other things for past 2 months and thought I would poke around here for any news.  I can't figure out what Altium hopes to gain by treating its paying customers like mushrooms...(and again, this is not aimed at Peter who's the closest thing we have here to a spokesperson and is probably the only reason I didn't give up on CS long ago).

mc6800

Agreed, it would be nice to have some news (not a dig at Peter, I'm sure he will post something once there *is* news).

I still suspect that Altium would be better off replacing CS by a pin/layer/size limited version of AD (possibly using the previous year's version for each low-end release to maintain the advantages of the full version). It would almost certainly require much less development time than maintaining the AD and CS codebases separately. They could then simply offer all existing CS licence holders a straight swap to the new software (perhaps subject to having active maintenance) and then end further development of CS.

My suggested limits would be something like:

1) Max 6 Planes, 6 signal layers (so 1-12 layers in total)

2) Tracks >= 4 mil

3) Max 10,000 pads/pins/vias (i.e 2x the slowdown limit, but less than the 50,000 upper limit for CS)

4) No specific upper limit to board size, providing (layers x layer area) <= 6000 cm^2 (so a 4 layer board can be up to 38x38cm, but a 12 layer only 22 x 22 cm). In all cases the calculation would be based on the smallest bounding box that encloses all of the board shape.

In addition a free version could offer 2 layers, 250 pads/pins, tracks >= 6 mil, drill holes >= 0.3mm, boards <= 15cm in any dimension. Upgrading to the low-cost or full version would be just a matter of entering the new licence key (and paying for it, of course!).

Vault access would be an optional paid extra for the free and CS replacement versions

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                        tarribred61

OOh, no!  I would prefer not to have simply a limited version of AD (I used Protel99 and AD6 through AD16). CS is pretty good and better than what you suggest.  I think we all agree that some better communications from them and some indication of future release plans would go a long way.

There were some threads a while ago with features we would like to see added.  I'm sure they are aware of what was requested.  For designer who are doing ECAD and especially PCB design all day, everyday then CS likely isn't powerful or productive enough.  If you do occasional design and especially mostly schematic work it is quite good.

tarribred61

While we are griping, here is my list of features I would like to see considered for addition.

Maybe time for another poll like we had in 2017?

1) Add Sch List panel like in AD; provides a selectable list of schematic parts by ref des; this is similar to what is in PCB

2) In schematics and PCB; Find (and select and edit) similar objects

3) Overall; add Project packager wizard; allows easy creation of zip file of critical design files for archiving

4) In PCB; Improvements to 3D capability including Free (unattached) 3D body support instead of just 3D bodies on components, measurements in 3D

[Found out you can do this with a command that is not on the tool bar.  When in PCB and 2D mode, use the Search box to type in Place.  It should autocomplete with a selection for Place 3D body.  This becomes a free 3D body rather than one associated with a component. When in 3D mode, place commands are available for moving and orienting the model.]

However, we used to have a way to define a board shape from a 3D body and that was lost to us from ver 1.3 to 1.4.  It would be nice to have that function back.

5) Overall; CAM viewer integration like in AD

6) In PCB; improved Polygon Pour manager

7) In PCB; Place a proper layer stackup table in the drill/fabrication drawing; current workaround is to make a separate drawing using screen shots or export it as a separate Excel file.

8) In PCB; Add teardrops to selected PCB routing

9) In PCB; Upgrade component footprint wizard to IPC compliant version. The one in CS is OK but I miss the one from AD

10) In PCB; Add ability to define a few custom layer sets; [actually we got this in May 2018 release 1.5]

11) In PCB; add a shortcut/ hot key to switch metric and imperial; curiously this presently does this in PCB library editor’s pad window with CTRL-Q

[we sort of can do this with Alt-h G M or Alt-h G I;  so I'm happy enough and would prefer to see other features ahead of this.  But it would be nice is CTRL-Q toggled imperial and metric throughout the PCB windows]

12) Bug fixes; especially the recent Vault searching issues; CS start page showing Error 404; CircuitStudio Start page is showing "404 Not Found"

[not sure when or how but the CS Start page problem went away for me and the Vault searching problems were fixed]

13) PCB rule generation; improve the Rules Wizard to a) allow editing of the rules scope of an existing rule and b) add in more of the query keywords that Altium Designer has.  For 'a', existing rules scope can be editted by exporting the rule to a *.rul file and modifying in a text editor and then importing back.  It would be easier if there was a way to open the rule scope directly from within CircuitStudio and modify it using the rules wizard menus.  Also, would be nice to add in 'OR' logic to the existing 'AND' logic for combining the keywords to build more specific rule scope.

[edits to my post done on Nov 11, 2019 and Nov 27, 2019]

[June 2, 2020] See my updated wish list here...

Wishlist for CS?

engineereddownunder

Bumping this one again, I'm using CS fairly constantly now and finding a few more bugs along the way, the latest seems to have started after a Windows update. Uninstalling the update has fixed the problem for me but has left me thinking we haven't even had any minor bug fix updates for what must be around a year now... As mentioned above - ALTIUM PLEASE TELL US SOMETHING EVEN IF ITS GOODBYE! Despite a few current flaws I really love this product and I think it fills a really important space in the market, so really hoping we are going to see something very soon but unfortunately we're at the point where I think we need to start looking for a good alternative.

jstrautman

We tried Circuit Studio for about a year, then went back to Eagle since it was bought out by Autodesk and seemed to be getting more support than CS. I'm not trying to troll, but occasionally I will come back to these forums to see if we made the right decision. And boy did we ever.  Eagle has been getting at least 4 or 5 updates each year which are starting the fill the holes that Eagle previously had with Cadsoft that made us reach out to CS.  I agree that CS is a much more sophisticated tool than Eagle, but without support, we were struggling and were also worried about the lack of a future plan from Altium and Element14 for the product.   This is just my 2 cents.

chasenbeck

Sorry if this has been asked before....Since there is no word on development and Altium AD is well above most people's price range, has there ever been talk of aggregating users to share a single seat of AD?

I know there'd be so scheduling hurdles but maybe if the users were from different parts of the country or world the conflict might be a minimum. I am not familiar with all the technical limitations of Altium's licensing program so it might be a moot point from the git-go but I thought I'd ask you fine people.

frog

That's an interesting idea but I doubt that there would be much traction - the idea of having a 25% share in a software package that I use every day for my business isn't very reassuring, regardless of any licensing issues.  Perhaps others have different ideas though.

chasenbeck

Completely understand. It’s an unconvential model. Maybe another way to phase it would be weekend warriors paying for time on a license that corporations wouldn't be utilizing anyways in an 8-5 Monday-Friday.

We’d have to have  some guys better at math than me to figure out how many licenses and users it takes before it would make financial sense to have AD on demand. Ex $ 30 for 8 hours.

engineereddownunder

This might work for some but for many of us we need fairly big chunks of time on the software, CS works well because it's relatively unlimited and fills all the requirements for designing relatively simple boards.

I think a better solution would be a limited version of AD which has a similar level of features to CS, I know that's probably not a simple change to make but Altium will need to keep in mind many of the CS users currently are part of small start-ups without the capital to invest in AD at this point. Dropping support for CS now is more likely to cause us to move to a completely different product and invest in that rather than reaching a point where it makes sense to fully invest in AD, migrating to a cut down version of AD would give us the continuation we need and would benefit Altium in that moving from a basic version to the full version is a logical step once the need arises and the budget is available.

Still hopeful of some word from Altium...

lamabrew

Was doing my weekly poke-around the discussion forums as I yell and curse Altium for not providing a way to automatically generate *useable* pick and place files in CS...

Got a computer generated form email from the local Altium sales office about there special du jour on AD,  though in this case it had a from address from an actual person (well I assume there's an actual person at the address) in the local sales office.

So I figure what the heck, I sent a short reply saying that while I'm an Altium CUSTOMER (at least in that I gave them money, Altium clearly doesn't see that as a threshold for being a customer) AD's feature set and price don't fit with current needs, but maybe some day down the road, etc.  I also mentioned the experience with CS has started to turn me off to considering Altium as a viable company for future CAD tools.

I guess I expected at least a quick email back with at least a "thanks for letting me know"  - I certainly wasn't expecting a lowly sales person trying to make this month's quota to solve Altium's abandonment of CS customers.  But alas, just like this thread, I got nothing back...except a few days later another automated email "reminding me" of Altium's wonderfulness.  err, NO.

Gone from shooting themselves in the foot to shooting up the rest of their body parts...

<shrug>

(ok, I really just wanted to bubble this thread up to the top again)

engineereddownunder

That's funny I had the same experience last month, was asked if I'd like to attend a local AD roadshow - I asked is there would be anything related to CS at the roadshow and got a reply saying "unfortunately not this time around". Struck up a short conversation with the sales person who was very pleasant - until I asked about CS road map... Silence, no reply. That's pretty crappy Altium are currently very successfully upsetting and frustrating a lot of small business and start-ups which are potential future AD buyers. I'm about to renew my CS license, though that seems like it will be a waste of money at this point - maybe putting some money in will help get some information out...

tarribred61

I'm wondering if the release of CS (and also CircuitMaker) in conjunction with Element14 was in reaction to Mentor Designer (and later Maker-Pro release) with Digikey in 2014.  See https://www.edn.com/electronics-products/other/4437730/Mentor-meets-Digikey--low-cost-CAD-results

That is to say, it was less of an effort to compete with Eagle, KiCAD and such.  Since that effort by Mentor seems to have underwhelmed the market maybe Altium has decided to put less attention on CS.

It isn't surprising that discussions with Altium sales people about CS gets the ghost treatment.  They have no financial stake.

lamabrew

tarribred61  wrote:

It isn't surprising that discussions with Altium sales people about CS gets the ghost treatment.  They have no financial stake.

Sales people I agree on, but IMHO Altium as a company might hurt longer term prospects for conversion of CS customers in to full AD seats, either because us "small" businesses grow or we end up somewhere influencing CAD decisions (though in all honesty having neen though it previously the latter is such a complex issue that is many times dominated by what was used in the past and the hit from training/learning a new tool).  Or Eagle comes out with a AD importer that does a reasonable job and we all decide to take the pain now rather than putting more designs in to a dead tool.

I don't want to jump ship; the features CS has work well enough for now. Though it crashes frequently I have not lost any work because of that; just time lost to watching the crash progress bar inch across the screen.

Lack of (useful) support for basic things like panels, pick and place, design variants, and library/part revision control are wearing on me. I assume that other packages my solve those issues they probably have some other problem(s) that would be equally annoying.

Assuming (parts of?) the same code base is powering AD and CS the crashes to bother me - is AD that flaky too?  No effort to fix the crashes. Software QA is tough, but it can't be ignored if you're making products that businesses rely on.

My annual renewal comes up in Jan. I can't see paying that under current circumstances. OTOH if Altium provided some concrete plans/deliverables schedule I would have no issue at all renewing.

frog

I guess the problem for Altium is that CS is in danger of becoming such a toxic product that even a massive investment won't be enough to turn the tide and it's better just to walk away.  I'd like to think that we haven't quite reached that point yet but I suspect that Altium have different ideas.

frog

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but...

Element14 provided support (in this forum) for Circuit Studio, thanks in large part to Mr Peter Barnard.  It seems inconceivable that E14 did this out of the kindness of its corporate heart, presumably Altium provided some kind of incentive.  I would be difficult to believe that E14 would choose to dispense with Mr Barnard's services unless Altium had withdrawn whatever incentive was in place.  In other words, Peter's departure equates to Altium no longer supporting Circuit Studio.

If anyone at Altium or E14 would like to confirm or deny then I'd love to hear, as I'm sure would many others in this forum.

engineereddownunder

So I have been pushing for some more information from element14 and Altium and got a reply which sounds promising (from element14 APAC Technical):

There's definitely a major CircuitStudio version coming in in the future, and work is being done on it, but it's at that difficult stage where we're not given a definite time frame.
                                                              The hold up for this is that they're doing a lot of work on the platform and user interface for both CircuitStudio and CircuitMaker to bring them more up to date and more in alignment with Altium Designer (which is a moving target while AD20 is being finalised) and for various reasons the project timeline has slipped more than expected.

I have asked if they can pass on to Altium how beneficial a brief update to the community would be, so we'll see if anything comes through. For me this response is a big relief, provided it is accurate - we will see I suppose.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                                                  frog

Well that's encouraging to hear, thanks Jeremy.

mc6800

Thank you for the update, but I am not sure if I should hold my breath waiting for the next release :-)

I seem to recall that last year a similar comment was made that once AD19 was out, a significant update to CS would be delivered. In the end I think we got 1.5/1.5.1 (and later 1.5.2 once everyone complained about the Digi-Key breakage).

The comments from the Altium seem to indicate the problem is that they have 2 or three separate codebases - and that keeping them all updated is too much work for the available staff.

mars01

mc6800, agreed. If they really have done a 'hard work' and they really cared about the user feedback, at the least we may have seen some beta coming out, like they do for AD.

The latest updates where a joke, most likely just copy/paste of old code blocks from AD and perhaps a few new lines thrown here and there to make everything fit. So ... what hard work? Bugs they kept there, they are .... precious

joel_l

This same story has been going on for years. I renewed once a few years ago, not again. Does that mean CS is terrible, no. You can do a design with it. Try the demo, if it works for you, fine, just never expect it to change from what you have. If there is an update someday great but I am not holding my breath. I've heard too many promises and excuses.

ghieber

Also bumping the thread...

I am one of the many Eagle users who jumped ship when Eagle was taken over by Autocad and they started their new license model. It's not only cost, I don't accept depending on other people's good wil to be able to use my tools, and to access my own work of the past.

So, during the last 2 weeks I evaluated the CS trial, and like what I see. My decision now is, buy or not. For that it would be helpful to know if Altium is committed to maintain a mid level product that fulfills the requirements and fits into the budget of customers somewhere between advanced hobbyist, small business, freelancer, etc. So, Altium and Element14: a fact - based word of encouragement would be highly appreciated.

regards, Georg

zebryk

Hearing that Peter Bernard is gone, I have zero confidence there is any future for CS.

My only reason was for a way of working with my customers who had Altium.

Be it so humble, I just re-upped my trusty Easy-PC tool which I am very comfortable with.

(As a RF engineer, I route and layout everything manually anyways.)

frog

In terms of fulfilling the requirement and fitting into the budget, yes CS is a good product, but all that's come from Altium over many months has been a deafening silence.  At Jay says, Peter's departure has more or less marked the end of support for CS.  While it would be the work of a moment for somebody at E14 or Altium to post at least a few words of encouragement, there's been nothing.

IanJ

With Autodesk's announcement & video showing Fusion360 & Eagle integration (bloody hell it looks good seeing Eagle with a ribbon)......so surely, but surely Altium will step up the process of developing CS.

Come on Altium......as others have said the "deafening silence" is too much!

Ian.

engineereddownunder

Well... Just saw Autodesk have built in ECAD to Fusion 360... for free! I already use Fusion 360 to model components for CS, and at a first glance it looks like a great start. Coupled with the great online support community and the rate at which Autodesk are turning our updates and improvements this might well be the last nail in the coffin for CS in my view. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks and I'll be giving it a test drive over the next few weeks.

KennyMillar

Since E14/Farnell/AvNet is the only place you can buy CS, and since there has been absolute silence on updates, bug fixes, and roadmaps, one can assume that CS is a dead duck.

They won't be able to open-source it and release it to the community either, because it shares so much code with AD.

I'm sad to say, it looks like we have all wasted our money.

Lets all leave reviews on the product sales sites telling new customers about our experiences. Although, in my experience, any attempt to leave a negative review for a product (even a genuine honest negative review) gets moderated away. Still, if we all leave our honest reviews then the mods will notice, and maybe they will bump our concerns up one flight of stairs.

lamabrew

Curious if you had an opinion yet on ECAD?  Can it import Altium (CS or the normal AD ) design files and libraries?  Even if it was just an "OK" import of schematic and PCB  that took some cleanup that might be reasonable for what I would want to accomplish.

Even if I had to do designs from scratch that would be OK, but the libraries are not something I would want to recreate from scratch and/or have to go through every part.

I don't want to give up on Altium but every new design I do looks like it's becoming a stranded asset.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

Regards,

Brewster

engineereddownunder

I haven’t had the chance to test drive it properly yet, have had some deadlines looming so I’ve been focused on projects already in CS. From an initial view it’s pretty fresh, I would guess they’ll build in import tools over the next year or so. At this stage I plan to try a few small basic projects with it to get familiar, then maybe migrate some bigger projects if they bring in some import tools. Gut feel at the moment is it’s still too early to try and tackle a reasonably complex project with.

frog

In what is possibly the latest twist (or perhaps I've just noticed it) I opted to send a crash report to Altium and got a "503 - Back-end server is at capacity" despite several attempts.  Now it is possible that the Altium back-end server is overloaded, with it being Sunday night for most of the world, but I do have to wonder whether the said back-end server has been assigned to other duties and Altium are no longer even pretending to listen to bug reports.  Has anyone else seen this?

mohala

I can understand the pain, I've been using Altium Designer for more than 6 years, and have come to a point where I can't afford to buy Altium personally, which is sad for me, even though I asked if they do discount prices for individuals. Which they apparently won't! Which made me think I will have to go to thier cheaper software like circuit studio.

Problem is now reading up I might not be able to do rigid-flex and have the flexibility of Altium Designer. I then recently found out about Solidworks PCB powered by Altium.

I've called up to see a cost of Solidworks PCB and the sales guy said it would be cheaper than Altium Designer but more expensive than Circuit Studio, but it is a perpetual licence with a maintanance fee.

I feel like Altium has put Circuit Studio to one side while moving the focus towards their partner projects like Solidworks PCB.

Mo

clexpertcz

Hello,

I have CircuitStudio license from 03/2018. A year later, in 03/2019, I paid maintenance for the next year. No new version of CircuitStudio has been released for this maintenance year, nor an update or a tiny release. Just nothing throughout the year. Now the maintenance is over again and I am wondering if I should pay for the next year. Does it make any sense at all?

I used Eagle before. Then I bought a CircuitStudio license. I have paid Fusion 360 subscription, which now includes Eagle. I like CircuitStudio very much, I have learned to work with it, I am quite happy with it, although it sometimes crashes and contains errors. But again, I don't want to pay a subscription if I don't get any updates or bug fixes.

What do you suggest?

Petr Zahradnik

joel_l

Keep using CS as is if it fits your needs. I dropped the subscription some time ago, I don't use or need any of the features that came with the subscription. The software is still usable without.

IanJ

Kinda where I am Joel_l..........albeit I still have the sub active in the hope.

Eagle - From looks of it, it's gone downhill till they sort out the Fusion360 mess.

Kicad - Never ever liked it. GUI sucks, and never been a fan of free products.

Altium Designer - Far too expensive.

CS - Like the GUI, functionality fits my needs well. Just wish the Vault worked better, currently a waste of time. If Altium want to try and keep subs then refresh the vault BIG time.

Yes we have a lot of choice.......but none of them are properly finished products!!!

Ian.

mc6800

If  you are in the USA, the OrCad distributor seems to currently have an offer for $750 - but I don't know how well this compares to CS.

Personally, I am still using CS, but I haven't renewed the subscription. *If* Altium produce a good update I will reconsider paying again. I was fortunate that my subscription ended a week or so after 1.5.2 was released, so I was able to get the fix for supplier links.

clexpertcz

You are right. I have not pay maintenance fee yet. So, I will see how the situation will evolve. Thanks.

Petr Zahradnik

rufusthedog

I have been a Protel / Altuim user since the day the bought CircuitMaker and offered a low price to get into Protel. I stopped updates at Altium 2012, I just couldn't afford the maintenance costs. Went the Eagle route until Autodesk took over. I just bought CS which seem to work for most part but has import issues etc. One program has promise but lacks real import capabilities is Autotrax. The guy who maintains it generates updates weekly. If I file a problem the next day a new update is released. You get a lot of features for $99. I remember Protel had many problems in the beginning. They would add features and wouldn't correct the old bugs, but eventually they ironed out most of the bugs and it worked very well. I still like my Altium 2012, it seem pretty bug free. I hope they do the same for CS and make it a fully usable.

IanJ

I bought a license for Autotrax DEX 2 or 3 years ago......and yes the frequency of updates was real good, and the software is pretty feature packed......however I fell out with the developer when he wouldn't fix some basic issues a number of folks were having. Of course it's his software and thus totally his own rights to do what he wanted but we parted ways and I gave up my license when for example he wouldn't allow the dropping of a via onto a ground plane to complete a 0Vdc net from say a resistor topside. I remember there were some other issues also.
                                                                                                          So, in the end best of luck to him and I moved to CS at the time and still to this day haven't regretted it.

PS. I was using Eagle prior to this and found the Autotrax DEX library management pretty good.....it's why I tried it.

Ian.

robbrad89

Altium just published several Circuit Studio videos on their Altium Academy channel a few hours ago.  I got excited until I noticed some of the tutorials were done with version 1.4...

frog

I'm going to bump this thread again in case anything has changed.  If anyone from Altium or Element14 is listening, please give us an update on what is or isn't happening with CS development.

lainscough_dfc

From My latest discussions with ALtium (May 2020) it 's still being developed, but it's going through a GUI migration to get into step with there main line products. This is just taking longer than planned to get done and get an new version out. I expect the resourcing able to be put onto it is limed due to return they get from it.

I would personally pay and see what happens, Cheaper than having to buy it again later. Your choice.

tarribred61

Thanks for that information.  However, it would still be greatly appreciated if there were to be an official response from Altium and/or Element14 soon that we all know there is a plan to go forward (or not) so we can all make informed decisions.  I like CircuitStudio and hope to see it continued to be improved and can coexist with their flagship Atium Designer.

We had an encouraging reply from a poster on last Nov 10, 2019.  I think we got hopeful that we would have heard something official by now.

lainscough_dfc

I agree, I like the tool as well and plan to at some point upgrade to the Designer platform.

I pointed out to them that not putting a statement out is potentially limiting people moving from CS to AD as there making it seem like they don't fix bugs in the tools or care about the users.

Why would anyone expect the AD users to be treated any better if you start off using CS. They would not. Potential marketing nightmare of their own making.

I hope they put out a statement soon or even better a new version.

Thanks

Lee

tarribred61

I agree with you that not making a statement is generating a self-inflicted wound and a building sense that CS will be abandoned.  In addition to your comments I think the main problem they generate for themselves is that the present users (me anyway) would be hesitant to recommend this as a tool to others because of our doubts about the future.

I was a user of Altium Designer way back between 2009 and 2016 and my recollection is that they also used a user forum approach for helping to implement customer support.  The user group was bigger and more active than with CS.  We had a way to upvote features and bugs so they would have some user feedback on what to work on for releases.  AD released somewhat regular updates and patches which made sense to justify their revenue stream by making people keep the subscriptions up to date.  I'm saying this in case other users are under the impression that AD users don't have to rely on user-to-user support and instead are taken care of by Altium.  Sadly, when I left the prior company that used AD and my license for AD was not longer in force, I found I no longer had access to the AD forum.

I plan to keep my CS license up to date since it really does not cost that much to do so and it is a useful tool.

Jan Cumps
                                                                                                                                not making a statement is generating a self-inflicted wound

It is.  e14 + Altium are no babies. They have a trained marketing and communications department and could send out a message. They don't and that tells a story.

shabaz

In some respects, it's a self-inflicted wound by the purchasers. It's amazing people will spend hundreds of $$$ on software either without checking the release history or thinking "it's been many years since an update, I'll just keep ploughing money into it because I heard on the grapevine that a new release which will fix my problems might become available one day in a year or two".

If it's a business purchase there's no way it's justifiable. It makes no sense. Why do people do it?

andrewj

I agree and find this thread perplexing.  No updates or messaging for a year or more and with excellent open source tools like Kicad I can’t understand why the desire to stick with CS.  It must be a good tool to make it worth the aggro I guess.

Jan Cumps

shabaz  wrote:

In some respects, it's a self-inflicted wound by the purchasers. It's amazing people will spend hundreds of $$$ on software either without checking the release history or thinking "it's been many years since an update, I'll just keep ploughing money into it because I heard on the grapevine that a new release which will fix my problems might become available one day in a year or two".

If it's a business purchase there's no way it's justifiable. It makes no sense. Why do people do it?

Yes, but it's backed by two companies that are industry leaders and have an excellent reputation. Who'd expect this?