16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2019 11:59 AM by neilk

Creating DuPont equivalent crimp terminal

andrewj

What’s the generic term for the single pin crimp terminal to stick on the end of a wire in order to push into an Arduino header socket?  I’m used to the term Dupont connector but this isn’t a search term recognised by Farnell or CPC and there seems to be a fair mix of crimp terminals that may or may not be correct.

• Re: Creating DuPont equivalent crimp terminal
          shabaz

Hi Andrew,

I think it's just called a crimp socket, or a 0.1" SIL socket crimp terminal. Anyway, a typical one is this crimp socketcrimp socket, it fits the 0.1" SIL pin headers on the Arduino.

There is a suitable crimp toolcrimp tool for it too.

There are plastic pieces to go over it, but I don't think they are available from Farnell/Newark for single pins. However, personally I feel heatshrink sleeving gives a nicer result.

7 of 7 people found this helpful
            dougw

They are crimp sockets in rectangular housings but there are many terms used by different manufacturers and distributors.

Consequently they are difficult to find, even though they are very common and almost every supplier carries them.

Here is an example from Amphenol:

HousingHousing

SocketSocket

7 of 7 people found this helpful
              fmilburn

I have recently started crimping my own and have some Amphenol as well as inexpensive Chinese pins and sockets.  I have the crimper that Shabaz linked above and like it.  The Amphenol work well. The Chinese unbranded ones are fiddly, especially the sockets.  I have to pinch the bits that hold on the insulation a bit before inserting in the tool.  In other words, you may find variation in what is out there. 

8 of 8 people found this helpful
                andrewj

Thanks guys, but I probably didn’t explain it very well.  I have the crimp tool that you told me about previously Shabaz, but the crimp sockets you mentioned, above and previously, didn’t seem right: they look like sockets (obviously! And something I would push a pin into) but didn’t have single housing in that series, and I couldn't find what I was looking for in that series either.  Heat shrink is a good idea for the housing and I have plenty of that.

Doug - the links you provide don't work for my Country (UK) but I suspect from the wording they are sockets as well. 

What I'm looking for is the pin connector, I.e. the crimp terminal that is a male pin to push into a female header socket.  There seems to be a lot of variations but I can't really make out which would be the right one - I think a 1mm pin should do it - but it doesn't help that I don't know what they are called!  The dupont fly leads seem to fit properly but the ones I have aren't long enough.  I could buy a Dupont crimp kit on Amazon but they all seem to be from cheap Chinese manufacturers and I'm very wary - as Frank mentions.  D-sub pin terminals look ok but I realise they are intended for a different connecter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    neilk

Hi Andrew,

I decided to take the plunge and go for one of the (probably) Chinese kits, but from ebay rather than Amazon. It gave me the pins, sockets and a selection of housings. I thought the mistake I made was in also buying a (probably) Chinese crimp tool. I have do what Frank( fmilburn ) does which is to pre-bend the crimp component to hold the insulation before I crimp the whole pin or socket in the crimp tool.

I assumed I struggled because of my cheap crimp tool, but Frank seems to be saying that the cheap pins/sockets are the problem and the Amphenol ones are OK.

Frank, can you show us the difference, please.

Neil

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        andrewj

I suspect it could be a bit of both!  I'm really put off buying from Amazon and eBay these days as it seems almost impossible to find decent quality with their search engines - any results are swamped with the same product, from different Chinese suppliers, at slightly different prices.  I've even found on eBay where I'm buying a branded product, a '2 day' delivery turns into the best part of two weeks albeit the product arrives with 48hr postage - I suspect they are taking orders, buying from main suppliers, then shipping them on.

fmilburn

Shabaz and Doug are giving good advice below.  What I have observed is the Chinese ones are made for an automated crimping machine while the Amphenol came loose.  DSub pins also work well in my tool. The tabs that hold insulation on the Chinese ones are too wide to fit the die in my crimping tool without bending them a bit and that is a fiddly task and somewhat prone to bad connections.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                          shabaz

Hi Andrew,

Oh, sorry, I forgot the Arduino has the sockets and not pins.

These crimp pinscrimp pins will fit, and are cheap, although stock is low currently. I've used these with heatshrink, I don't think these particular pins will fit the plastic housings Doug mentions.

The pin is of the order of 0.7x7mm. 1mm won't fit (e.g. typical D-sub pins won't fit, they are approx 1mm diameter).

EDIT: these crimp pinscrimp pins will also fit (0.635x0.635mm) and better availability, but they're more expensive.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              andrewj

Thanks Shabaz.  The 70 in stock will be more than sufficient; it's unfortunate that CPC don't sell them as I've already got a basket with them.  I assume they will deliver the 70 now and 30 in October when they have them back in stock!!

I didn't think it would be so difficult to find the right ones - parametric search doesn't allow sizing to be used, and it doesn't help that thousands of items share the same basic name!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              dougw

The series I linked above is Amphenol Mini PV

pin 47792-003LF47792-003LF

socket 75231-013LF

housing 65039-036LF65039-036LF

There are other parts in the series - check which you need.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                              shabaz

I had the camera out, so figured I'd take some photos.. I don't have the China crimps (although I did try them at one point) so cannot show the difference.

Step 1: strip cable, by about 4mm (eyeballed, no real need to measure with the pin crimp, since there is space for the excess length. The socket crimps need a bit more accuracy but can still be eyeballed). I'm using thin wire (10/0.1, i.e. 10 strands of 0.1mm) so I like to fold it back, so I strip twice this amount.

Step 2:

Since I'm using thin wire, I fold it back. Ignore this step if you get good results without doing this with your wire type.

I just use a fingernail to fold it over, no need for pliers.

Step 3: Insert crimp so that the to-be-crimped portion of the crimp pin is flush with the tool crimping area. Then lightly press the tool (or ratchet by one step) so that the crimp pin is held in place and won't fall out. That will leave a free hand for the next step.

Step 4: Poke in the wire from the other side, so that you can just see it egressing from that tool crimping area.

I should have taken the photo from the other side really. But the point is that the tip of the wire should be just visible coming out of the tool crimp area.

Press the tool entirely until the ratchet releases.

Final result: (Normally I'll put some heatshrink sleeving over it).

Some other views of the crimped result:

Some tool marks are visible, but this is heavily zoomed in, the actual amount of tool marks is acceptable I think.

The insulation clamping portion is visible here. I see no movement in that area when I bend the insulation to the right of the photo. It grips it well for this small diameter.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                                  andrewj

Very useful pics, thanks Shabaz.  I figured out how the crimp tool works with Molex KK series terminals after a lot of head-scratching.  I suspect I may have the wire pushed too far forward, what do you think?  The wire itself is right on the border for size for that connector, but I've got some smaller gauge on order.

shabaz

Hi Andrew,

I've not used these before, but your insulation area looks good (it should terminate near the red line marking below), the wire portion should terminate at the yellow line portion though it seems (I could be wrong).

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                          andrewj

I think you're right looking at it that close up.  The spring at the end is meant to depress when the pin is pushed into the receptacle, and it won't be able to with the wires there.

I've ordered some thinner wire and more connectors, as well as the pin connectors you mentioned.  It's not surprising that I don't know what I actually need until I find myself thinking it's all well and good but how am I going to connect this to that.  Fortunately, I'm busy again this week so can't really get back to my project until Thursday.