6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2019 7:26 AM by tyro01

Disable collision detection

tyro01

Hello,

A collision was detected when I added fiducial mark close to QFP footprint.

Can I disable collision detection in this part? Or I have to include these pads in the footprint?

Am I missing something more important?

tyro

• Re: Disable collision detection
          adamwebber

You may have to specify the exact component in your rules and set the collision distance to -1 for that component.

tyro01

James, Thank you for your response.

Hmm. I found this menu. Do you mean this?

tyro

adamwebber

Yes, in a way.  I am now looking at CS now and trying to figure out exactly how you can fix this.  I was hoping that you would be able to select components or footprints in the clearance section but I guess not.

I have had success in editing the *.RUL file associated with the project in the past.  In the rules, duplicate your clearance rule.  Call it 'Clearance Fiducial' or something.  Place the copy as a higher priority in the rules.  Right-click the rule and export it.  Open it with a good text editor like Notepad++.  Now find where it says SCOPE1EXPRESSION in the new rule you've just created.  Should be the first one.  Change this to:

SCOPE1EXPRESSION=HasFootprint('Fiducial') ...or whatever your footprint is named.

SCOPE2EXPRESSION=HasFootprint('QFN64')  ...or whatever your footprint is named.

Save the file and import it back into the Clearance category of your rules.

Now this might or might not work.  You may be able to meddle with this and get it to work.  Like I said, I have had good luck performing this process in the past but that was older versions of CS.  It has since been updated to include a lot of the stuff that I used to have to edit manually.  You may need to change the values in the rule before you export it.  I'm not sure what will be saved by CS after you change the rules in notepad++.  In the past, I made my rules and set the values and then exported the file.  I edited them in notepad++ and imported them back in.  Then I never touched them again. 

Lastly, it is always a good idea to save an original copy before you edit this.  Make a copy of your whole project just to be safe.

I hope you get this to work.