1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2019 4:40 AM by shabaz

Is there a way i can connect my speakers to the raspberry pi 3 with the 3.5 mm jack? i dont get any sound when i plug them in

neeraj23

Is there a way i can connect my speakers to the raspberry pi 3 with the 3.5 mm jack? i dont get any sound when i plug them in

• Re: Is there a way i can connect my speakers to the raspberry pi 3 with the 3.5 mm jack? i dont get any sound when i plug them in
          shabaz

Hi Natinderpal,

There's a few things to check.

1. If you've got HDMI connected to your TV, then the sound may come out of the TV instead of the 3.5mm jack. You can force it by opening a terminal, typing sudo raspi-config and then navigating to the advanced options and the audio settings. You may need to type sudo reboot to get it to work (I don't know, I've never tried it).

2. Test with earphones. Make sure you fully push the plug into the socket. If that works, then remove it. It's not a good idea to use it for long like that. If you did hear audio, then get a 4-pin jack plug (the usual 3-pin works as a quick test, but is shorting out the composite video signal, and it's not intended to be used for headphones neither). Then wire it as shown here in clem57 response:

Raspberry Pi 2 A/V output via RCA Question.

3. Connect it to powered speakers, the output is line level. It needs amplification.

3 of 3 people found this helpful