9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2019 7:16 AM by alienjack

How do I make a cut line score to a circuit board in Circuit Studio?

alienjack

Hello, I am new to Circuit Studio. I have a few technical questions about the program that I can't seem to find answers for on line. How do I make a cut line score to a circuit board in Circuit Studio? Some of my circuit board layouts call for the circuit board to be separated into 2 or 3 sections. Do to this I need to add a score line to the board. Can someone please tell me how I can go about doing that? Also, what layer is the actual circuit board located?

• Re: How do I make a cut line score to a circuit board in Circuit Studio?
          tarribred61

Hi,

I believe you would choose a mechanical layer you want to use for PCB outline then place lines, arcs, etc to define the PCB shape. In my PCBs the outline is mechanical layer 1. When making your PCB footprints, I recommend keeping consistent with the default layer assignments.   The outline primitives should be thin lines, maybe only 1 or 2 mils thick so it is unambiguous where the board shape is.  If you make it thicker, the rule is it would be the center of the thickness and not the outer or inner edge of the thick line, so it is better to keep the outline thin.  If you want to place a keepout to keep features away from the board edge then do it with a thick line on the keepout layer, it would typically mirror the PCB outline.

Here is a screen shot of a section of the PCB outline.  Layer 1 has been renamed to be Outline but it is still mechanical layer 1.

As for score line marks, you would need to describe what you want to the fabricator.  This can be done on the drawings using a free mechanical layer (not the outline layer).  Draw the STRAIGHT lines on the outline layer and then put text note on the fabrication layer or other free mechanical layer that says you want a score line.  Of course, if the PCB edge has a curve then you would not likely use a scored snap line.  You should be able to learn more about PCB fabrication drawings by searching on that topic.

For example here is a link I quickly found....

How to Read a PCB Fabrication Drawing

Also, I'd recommend spending the time to look over the information, blogs, videos and such on the element14 website. Especially the videos and sort them by date created, oldest first so you can get to some of the ones that describe more basic features.  Start with "1 - The CircuitStudio Environment" and then scan through the others to strengthen the basics.

good luck

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: How do I make a cut line score to a circuit board in Circuit Studio?
            alienjack

Hi Thomas. Thank you so much. You have really helped me. I will follow your suggestions. Learning anything at the beginning can be tough, but you have helped to make it a mush less frustrating experience. Thank you again.

2 of 2 people found this helpful