19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2020 2:08 PM by albertabeef

DPU for Ultra96 v2?

prornetheus

xilinx-ultra96-prod-dpu1.4-desktop-buster-2019-05-31.img.zip

Prebuilt image for Ultra96 not working with Ultra96 V2

The only difference between V1 and V2 is DDR Timing?

Is there an unofficial image for V2?

Regards,

• Re: DPU for Ultra96 v2?
          jafoste4

Hi,

I can confirm we got this working on the Ultra96-V2. However we cannot release this unoffical image at this time.

-Josh

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              prornetheus

Dear Josh,

Is there any progress in DPU project?

Regards, Eugene.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                miner_tom

Yes, Josh,

I would like to know when this project will be released as well.

Thank You

Tom

narrucmot

Hi Tom,

We have uncovered a hardware issue with the Ultra96-V2 board that appears to affect designs like this one that use most of the PL and are computationally intensive.  We are debugging this issue now and plan to have it addressed, and this design released, by the end of October.  Stay tuned for further updates...

Cheers,

Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        miner_tom

Tom,

Thank you very much for the reply. I don't envy you your debug task.

I already spent $$ on the ultra96v2, as it is my want to be on the most current hardware. However, perhaps I did not do such a smart thing because, as I am finding out, lots of projects "out there" for the ultra96 are not forward compatible with the v2. At this point, rather than suffer the slings and arrows of the new hardware, would you recommend purchasing the V1 instead?

Cheers,

Tom

bhfletcher

The DPU will work on Ultra96-V2 with datecode earlier than August 2019 at a maximum rate of 195 MHz. This was due to a programmable current threshold setting in our power circuitry that was too pessimistic and not because of a real hardware limitation. For reference, the Ultra96-V1 operates at 255 MHz.

We are working with Xilinx now. By modifying the current threshold and adding an improved heatsink solution, we've been able to run faster than 255 MHz. We are testing now for stability as we don't want users to get frustrated. We are working on a procedure so existing users can update their programmable power supplies. We are also working to get the new heatsink in stock. I expect this will take us ~2 months to get all the details worked out.

We do not want engineers to have a poor experience with lack of performance on the earlier Ultra96-V2 due to the frequency limitation. Again, the limitation is NOT because of the ZU+ fabric or the DPU design. If you are satisfied to work at <195 MHz, then message me. I will see if Xilinx will release a preliminary version on a user-by-user basis.

Bryan

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                                miner_tom

Bryan,

Thank you for the update. Evidently, you and your team are putting a lot of work into this.

At this stage in my development process, I am content to work at rates less than 195 MHz. I purchased my Ultra96-V2 about a month ago, early September, so it is probable that it was manufactured prior to August 2019. However, even under a magnifying glass, I could not see a stamped date code, on either side of the board. So, it is somewhat of a guess.

Please ask Xilinx to release a "preliminary version" (and I am assuming of the DPU) . I was considering purchasing the ZCU104 from Xilinx but I seriously wanted to used something in a smaller footprint to begin with and, I did not want to consider the V2 a $300 loss while spending the nearly $1K for the 104.

Thank You

Tom

shixiaoke

Hi Bryan,

I am satisfied to work at <195 MHz. Could you give me a preliminary version about DPU.

My email is shixiaoke1836@dingtalk.com.

Thanks.

Shi

bhfletcher

I have not received an indication that Xilinx is willing to release the preliminary version. We are doing some ongoing testing, so I will continue to request this.

Bryan

kiruki

Hi Fletcher,

Do you have an update on the Ultra96-v2 DPU / vitis?

I will appreciate a preliminary image, it has been a long wait.

Thank you for the detailed updates so far.

Regards,

drozwood90

Hi there,

We are still working on the image and expect something by the end of this month.

Sorry for your long wait.

--Dan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                guobing

Hi Daniel

Are there some good news to share?

thank you!

drozwood90

I'm sorry, not at this time.  I can only say that we are working forward and making progress.

--Dan

zorjak

Any update on DPU for ultra96-v2?

drozwood90

Hi there,

Not as of yet.  in the mean time, here is some status and information for you.

We have a Vitis platform that we are putting out which we are calling AI/ML ENABLED.  This can be used for normal Vitis efforts, but it includes all the necessary hooks to allow you to use AL/ML goodies (DPU for example requires a IRQ vs soft-polling as was the case for SDSoC --> Vitis non-AI).  This platform is based on the new 2019.2 release and was a few days ago.  I have not written a blog advertising it as I am waiting for a few other platforms for other hardware systems to also be posted.  However, the design has been public for a few days on the Ultra96V2 downloads page.  With that platform I have been able to run quite a bit of the DPU examples (I was validating the platform, I did not personally build the designs).

For example, I had a webcam hooked up to my UltraZed-EG with PCIeCC.  Using that and other sources, I was able to run ADAS_DETECTION, FACE_DETECTION (which interestingly can detect my dog!), INCEPTION, MOBILENET, RESNET50, TF_RESNET50, VIDEO_ANALYSIS, and quite a few others.

We are working on finalizing the exact images and how / where they will be hosted.  I also know that in order to help you actually work with this, we are working towards a Hackster.IO project that should help you be able to create your own designs.

Also, note that if you do not have the most current PMIC updates, you are likely to have issues with this.  I know that we tested with the original settings and the Ultra96's conservative power supply values would cause a lot of strange things.  After updating, those issues go away.

See this post for more information, but as that might take time to get updated, you might want to get working on that soon, so you can be ready for when the design is posted!

Infineon PMIC updates to Avnet products

Look for a post on the DPU goodies soon!  I believe the write-up is currently in review.

--Dan

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                        clem57

prornetheus  wrote:

xilinx-ultra96-prod-dpu1.4-desktop-buster-2019-05-31.img.zip

Prebuilt image for Ultra96 not working with Ultra96 V2

The only difference between V1 and V2 is DDR Timing?

Is there an unofficial image for V2?

Regards,

Why would you expect an image built for certain hardware to work on a changed hardware platform? It makes no sense when you understand the same hold for PC's. An AMD system drive would not work in an Intel built system...

Introducing Ultra96-V2 <---- List of the many changes

prornetheus

The mention of AVNET's V2 indicates that DDR's suppliers have changed.

and if the problem is simply DDR Timing, Changing timing parameter solves it.

Do not be rude.

bhfletcher

I just wanted to clarify -- the LPDDR4 supplier did not change between V1 and V2. We use Micron memory on both. The difference is that the LPDDR4 component on the V1 was marked for End-of-LIfe at the time we designed V2. The two devices are in fact footprint compatible, but there are a few minor differences due to switching from a dual-die part to a single-die part. While minor, the differences are dealt with inside the PS DDR Controller settings, so this happens at the FSBL level. If you have access to change the FSBL or the Vivado HW platform, it is not difficult to adjust a V1 platform to be compatible with V2  (excepting the Wi-Fi Linux drivers). See this post for the details:

LPDDR4 Memory differences between Ultra96-V1 and Ultra96-V2

Bryan

3 of 3 people found this helpful