28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2019 5:07 PM by bocud

Win a Xbox One S All-Digital Edition!!

rjena

Meet David Edwards from the e14 presents show The Electronics Inside: a show where David tears down toys, tools, and electronic appliances just to find out what’s inside.

Watch our very first episode where David tears down Xbox One S All-Digital Edition.

You must wonder what happens to these devices after they are torn down. Well, if David manages to put it back together (and get it working) then we GIVEAWAY the device.

This month we are spicing things up by giving away David's torn down and rebuilt  XBOX one S All-Digital Edition to one lucky community member!

Rules to enter:

Step 1:  Log in or register on element14, it's easy and free.

Step 2: In the comments below, post a picture of a game, game controller, handheld or console that you have modified in any way(The project should be yours, not someone else's) AND tell us what would you do with the new Xbox one S all digital. The entry with the best combination of past achievement and future aspiration will win.

Step 3: You can enter this contest until midnight UTC 13th September 2019. Winners will be announced on 20th September 2019. If you need something to do between now and then make sure to check out all the great electronics videos at element14 presents

Follow these pages for more information:

• Re: Win a Xbox One S All-Digital Edition!!
          memelord69

Here is the Gameboy Color that I customised for my son. Nothing too drastic just a new glass screen and backlight. He mainly uses it to Play Pokemon Blu. I'd love to win the Xbox so that we can both play Minecraft together even when he's not here.

dougw

This is the very first PCB I designed for my own personal use. It was laid out using translucent red and blue tape plus black tape and via donuts - at 2X scale, then photographically reduced through colored filters to obtain 1:1 PCB artwork layers for the print shop. The high cost of making mistakes with this method is probably why I am still so meticulous about getting my PCB layouts to work on the first attempt.

The function of this circuit is to fit in-line with any joystick of the day (Atari, Sega, Colecovision, Commodore, etc.), which used DB9 connectors, and turn the trigger function into a rapid fire (machine gun) trigger.

At the time all the action games and shoot-em-ups required the trigger button to be rapidly cycled to have any success. This often led to a sore trigger finger.

The circuit still allowed single shots by "blipping" the trigger, but if the trigger was held down it would cycle the output at an optimal speed for hardware of the day.

This little circuit led to many high scores without damage to my trigger finger.

I had visions of turning this circuit into a product, but eventually expensive joysticks came out with this feature built-in.

At least that proved it was a good product idea.

It would be interesting to see how the latest generation of kids (grandkids) fares with modern X-Box technology.

There always seemed to be a gender bias in the types of games kids played and preferred. I am curious if this trend still persists. I am sure my granddaughter and grandson wouldn't "mind" the experiment.

I "might" even have a go at it myself to see how the technology and game-play has improved. I am already putting together a retro PiCade so there would be something to compare it with even if I can't get my old hardware platforms functioning.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              pizzaboy192

This project turned 10 years old today and didn't get much farther than this image.

Before The raspberry pi, before easy to get ITX systems, I attempted to shove an old Pentium 2 Dell laptop into an Atari 2600 for the sole reason of being able to use it to emulate a bunch of different game consoles along with the 2600.

It emulates a 2600 pretty well. I never did get a game controller wired up to it, so I just left a USB to Playstation, Xbox, and Gamecube adapter tucked in where the floppy drive used to go.

I documented everything on Instructables years back. it's probably still up there as well.

As for what I'd use the XBox One All Digital edition for? I'll probably put it into the bedroom as a replacement for the roku that also just happens to play video games pretty well. Nice compromise. A bunch of my library is in disc form, but with Games with Gold as a part of my collection, I can probably survive. The big TV in the livingroom will still be used to play all the games on disc without complaint.

lambenthammerburst

Nothing compared to others but had my original Xbox One Elite controller fail. Just didnt accept a battery. Turns out was a loose battery terminal. Knowing Id be opening it up I got some controller parts. Swapped out the silver top trim with black, new faceplate, new battery door, put on the Gears 4 PowerA Elite Accessory kit. Fixed the battery issue. Did some minor mods, installed new joysticks, was a MINOR drift, got ones with more tension so I can now do better aiming. Since I covered the 1/2 mode switch with faceplate, I actually did move it, not shown here but it's opposite of the sync button and is a push toggle button.

If I won the Xbox, Id like to see if I can upgrade the HDD with a spare SSD I have. Seen people replace the harddrives on the launch model Xbox One quite easily. So would like to try my hand at it and then give to my stepson who is a Fortnite nut and get my Gears 4 X1s back to just my usage lol

Also in rules it says:

Winners selected: 20th September 2020

Hope that's a typo

IrregularShed

My chops

At some point in my life I ended up with a classic ZX Spectrum case with no PCB and no keyboard membrane. Without these two things, it was just a box that looked liked my childhood (but much emptier).

Then, years later, I got a ZX Uno board. It's a complete Spectrum (and much more) implemented flawlessly on an FPGA. Looking around for a case, I spotted my vacant Speccy case, and so in it went!

It's obviously not a perfect fit. It took some cutting and filing to achieve...

I cobbled together bits from my "I might use this one day" boxes to take VGA, power and PS/2 keyboard to the back. The SD card slot for the ZX Uno is a full sized one, so I glued an adaptor in place, and now there's a micro SD card slot easily accessible. (The video and audio out happened to line up perfectly with two existing cut-outs in this position as well - very lucky!) A speaker from an old PC is fed audio through a little amplifier circuit, and a volume wheel is added to a cut-out at the front because it got VERY loud...)

I make no excuses for the quantity of hot glue. I wasn't doing this for anyone but me

But what of the keyboard? And some kind of joystick? Glad you asked.

Using a combination of conductive copper tape, PVC insulation tape and solder (with LOTS of flux so the tip wasn't near the plastic for too long) I added a kinda membrane keyboard thing. My favourite layout for Spectrum games (QAOPM) is set up as a joypad which goes down into the 9-pin D socket. (It feels wonderful.) I have a PS/2 keyboard for everything else.

My Xbox idea

Thanks to David we've seen just how much space is wasted with the optical drive removed. LOADS! There's also HDMI pass-through, and plenty of amps hanging around the PSU. I'd drop a Pi 4B, a couple of USB 3.0 drives and a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle into the empty cavern (making sure that the wireless side of things isn't nobbled by RF shielding, naturally) and take the HDMI output to the input on the Xbox. Hey presto, one double-team home server and entertainment platform!

alfioscuderi1978

Hi all!

If I'll win the XBox One, I'd like to modify it in order to make it portable, adding mostly a liquid cooling system, just like I did several months ago on my Sony PlayStation 4.
                    Here are some pictures:

As you can see, I created a sort of "suitcase" containing my PS4 (totally disassembled...) and on top I added an LCD display showing all info about all temperatures:

I hope to realize it on the XBox One as well!

Thank you!

Regards,
                    Alfio Scuderi

bocud

Last year I finished my second Wii portable:

Its a very compact and small system made from original Wii hardware. Since there is no emulation it has perfect compatibility and will run any game, though some games will require external wii remotes. It was originally made for the 2018 BitBuilt summer building contest, and I'm making another one this year, though it is far from done at this point.

The internals were quite messy, but it worked out lol

If anyone wants to read the build process: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/finished-swiitch-2-0-bocuds-second-wii-portable.1711/

The worklog for my current project: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/swiitch-2-5rev2.2749/

If I got the Xbox I would probably use it to try and make a slimmed down version of it (considering there's no disc drive), or even a portable system if the thermal constraints aren't as bad as I'm expecting them to be.

a531016

Nice work on the Switch. Were you tempted to try and move the right analogue stick too - or were you limited by the original PCB? How do you think your efforts will compare to the Switch Lite?

Good Luck!

bocud

The switch is just there for comparison actually, the other black portable has a wii inside. The wii is trimmed to make it fit, and there are a bunch of extra components to "make it work" in this form factor. Something like this would be doable with a switch as well, but considering how complicated the board in the switch is in comparison to the wii it would probably be more difficult to get it smaller then the original board. With a switch lite it would be easier probably yeah.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            gingerofoz

Portable GameCube/Wii of mine that I closed up a couple months ago! I designed the case in AutoDesk Inventor from the ground up, and themed the device after Louie from the Pikmin series.  It's got a real Wii inside so that all games run at full speed.  It also gets over 5 hours of battery life.

I've never actually owned a non-Nintendo console before, so the Xbox would be a completely new horizon for me.  I wouldn't be able to make a true handheld device with it, as it's definitely going to be consuming too much power to run it off of batteries with any sort of success, but a laptop-esque design would be a lot of fun!  I'm also starting to get into molding controller buttons for custom controllers, so I'd love to have an Xbox controller to mold buttons from for all sorts of projects, maybe future portables, maybe just cool controllers for my friends.

Thanks!

batesie

Not my best work but currently the only custom designed controller I own. I can only imagine the designs I could make on the xbox console if I had the opportunity.

scottnet2

I've modded several consoles over the years, my most recent was putting a Raspberry Pi Zero in an old snes cartridge.

My plans for the Xbox would to find a way to Install it in a hidden spot in my travel trailer.  We go camping a lot during the summer and I often bring a console for my kids to play or stream media on when its raining or are just getting bored.  The fact that discs don't need to be inserted and it can be turned on by the controller make me want to find a spot to have it hidden and run an HDMI cable to the wall mounted TV

xanthm

I can’t officially enter because I am not 18 yet, but I thought it might be cool to show one of my first projects that I would recreate. Its an original xbox with a clear case and led modded. I used a cd to attach the leds in parallel. It worked really well because the cd reflected the light. The picture doesn't look as good as it did in person. I ended up selling this one for $80 at the time because I didn’t know how to do other mods. I am going to recreate one with the original xbox for when I go to college, but tsop flash and use rgb leds instead. I would use rgb leds with an xbox one s if I had one spare. With all the extra space and power in the xbox one s the leds would be pretty simple. I would maybe look in to adding an ssd with the extra space and 3d printing an adapter.

crazymacjr

I have never modded anything, well, I do trim my nails, and I lobed the tip of my thumb off, soo, hey I did do some modding lol. I've never had an Xbox system before, PlayStation loyalist here, but I could be persuaded to, you know, switch sides. wink wink

my hand you creep

ryan.schmohe

This is my PiBoy I built with a Pi Zero. It has 4 action button on the front plus 2 more on the back. The Pi Boy also has a rechargeable battery, lcd screen, and a sound amp. I used my 3d printer to replace the battery holder on the back and for stands inside the case to hold the screen in place. I had to purchase more than one Game Boy to use the buttons and contacts from 2 separate units. The boards were cut and hot glued in place. Hardest part was scraping the solder mask and soldering to the small copper traces.

My XBOX IDEA!

I would build a custom case (Flux Capacitor) using my 3d printer to hold the Xbox, HDMI switcher, Raspberry Pi, and some lights. The switcher, lights, xbox power-button, and IR will be controlled by the Pi via SSH. Im in the process of updating my workshop/office and running cat6 with HDMI/Network converters. This would be an awesome edition to my shop so I can watch some Netflix and play some games in my workshop or office. 

clem57

Modify a game box? Darn why would you.