7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2019 4:41 PM by ghines

Ethernet problems

ghines

Hi all,

I've had a MicroZed in the cupboard for a few years and it has not been used, so I downloaded an image and placed it on the SD Card.

It boots up OK, but there's no Ethernet connection to my PC, in fact the PC is telling me the cable is unplugged.  Also the Ethernet LEDs on the MicroZed are OFF when the cable is connected, which is odd.  Cable has been tested elsewhere and works fine.

I can connect via the micro-USB from my PC and that looks fine.  See here:

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/57P2Zvfv

Any ideas why the Ethernet is not working would be appreciated.

TIA

Greg

• Re: Ethernet problems
          clem57

The interface to the Ethernet initialized fine:

1. device=eth0, hwaddr=00:0a:35:00:01:22, ipaddr=192.168.1.10, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=255.255.255.255
          2.      host=192.168.1.10, domain=, nis-domain=(none)
          3.      bootserver=255.255.255.255, rootserver=255.255.255.255, rootpath=mmcblk0: mmc0:e624 SL16G 14.8 GiB
          4. mmcblk0: p1

You should plug into the router and not the PC. Is 192.168.1.10 valid for your router? Assuming DHCP, this should work.

ghines hope this helps.

ghines

Hi,

I was just following the instructions in the Getting Started Guide, connecting it directly to the PC.  See:

It that incorrect?

Edit:  Here is the output from a few commands that does not look very good for eth0.

zynq> ip a s eth0 | grep state

zynq> cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier

zynq> cat /sys/class/net/eth0/operstate

down

zynq> ip a s eth0

2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether 00:0a:35:00:01:22 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.1.10/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0

zynq>

clem57

The instruction are not in front of me, but I can see a way for them o work. Would you kindly show them here. Looking at the commands and responses, you appear to have a hardware issue.

ghines  wrote:

Edit:  Here is the output from a few commands that does not look very good for eth0.

zynq> ip a s eth0 | grep state

zynq> cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier

zynq> cat /sys/class/net/eth0/operstate

down

zynq> ip a s eth0

2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether 00:0a:35:00:01:22 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.1.10/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0

zynq>

NO-CARRIER means that the network jack detects no signal on the line. This is usually because the network cable is unplugged or broken. In rare cases it can also be hardware failure or a driver bug. Have you checked the cables and rebooted the system?

Please do this command:

uname -a

ghines

The network cable is plugged in and has been tested in another location and works just fine.  I think the LED's on the NIC Socket  being OFF, also points to a hardware failure too.

zynq> uname -a

Linux 192.168.1.10 3.8.0-xilinx #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 13 10:25:52 PDT 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux

zynq>

clem57

ghines  wrote:

The network cable is plugged in and has been tested in another location and works just fine.  I think the LED's on the NIC Socket  being OFF, also points to a hardware failure too.

zynq> uname -a

Linux 192.168.1.10 3.8.0-xilinx #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 13 10:25:52 PDT 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux

zynq>

Wow. This kernel is reallllly old. I found a possible explanation. It came from 2014, but explains this as a driver issue(bug). Let me know this works by marking this entry correct. I feel you fit the situation.

Clem

ghines

clem57  wrote:

ghines   wrote:

zynq> uname -a

zynq>

Wow. This kernel is reallllly old. I found a possible explanation. It came from 2014, but explains this as a driver issue(bug). Let me know this works by marking this entry correct. I feel you fit the situation.

Clem

Thanks, will give that a try tomorrow and let you know.

Many thanks.

Greg