5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2019 1:06 AM by aabhas

Windows on Arm with Raspberry Pi

aabhas

If anyone has tried Windows on Arm with Raspberry pi especially the 4 version I was thinking of trying it out on the raspberry pi 4 and if anyone can share their experience of using windows on arm with raspberry pi and also share tutorial if possible then it would be very helpful .for me to get started with Windows on Arm with Raspberry Pi. I tried to get Windows on Arm get working on Raspberry Pi but faced many problems during this so we can discuss the problems in the thread as Welland share tutorial and experience of using it.

Thanks

Aabhas Senapati

Top Members

Raspberry Pi

Project14

Internet of Things

RoadTests & Reviews

Design Center

Members

Please help if possible

Message was edited by: Aabhas Senapati

• Re: Windows on Arm with Raspberry Pi
          shabaz

Hi Aabhas,

I think you may need to create such a tutorial : )

There's various links and Youtube videos on the Internet showing some form or another of Windows running on different versions of Pi's in the past, but Windows is a loose term. There is "Windows IoT", and there's "Windows 10" for x86 or x64, and there is "Windows 10 on Arm", amongst other versions and releases, so it isn't clear which term you mean by "Windows on Arm" - reason being, some people have attempted Windows 10 for x86 or x64 on the Pi in the past too, with varying success, so the term is ambiguous. It is also unclear if you're looking for a proof-of-concept with things partially working, or something tested and compatible with lots of software and tuned for performance (e.g. with SSD instead of micro SD), and all these things would need to ideally be tried and tested too, otherwise performance may be bad (compared to a x86 $200 laptop), at least on older Pi's.

Anyway, I think you may need to research and test it out and create such a tutorial (or kick it off as a project so that others can contribute, with the detail on which version of Windows you're working towards), because (unless a google search reveals otherwise) I believe there may not be any recent resource on it, especially for Pi 4 as you mention, and at least not to the quality of typical element14 tutorials.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              aabhas

shabaz

I had tried out to follow the guide available on YouTube by NovaSpirit Tech and ETA Prime but I was not able to achieve any success in doing that and I wanted to try out on raspberry pi 4 and it has more computational power and that might allow us to use Windows on Arm with Raspberry Pi in better way.

Thanks

Aabhas Senapati

clem57

Seems that recent Pi's have not been tried for Windows IOT. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-iot-core-on-the-raspberry-pi-4-will-microsoft-support-the-35-computer/ indicates a lack of update on this since 2016. For older Pi's at least https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/1392482/Windows-10-IoT-Core-on-Raspberry-Pi-4-2019-update  seems to indicates the level of support.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  clem57

To add on the social front, this reads like many people asking for comment with no response. But here is how to try it on Pi 3 (not the plus_

As per Microsoft definition , Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows 10 that is optimized for smaller devices with or without a display that run on both ARM and x86/x64 devices. Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows targeted towards small, embedded devices. You can use Windows 10 IoT Core to read sensor data, control actuators, connect to the cloud, create IoT applications, and more.

Follow the below step to install windows IoT on raspberry pi 3, this easy install of IoT core on raspberry pi compared to other tutorials of using ISO fie and this is as per Microsoft documentation.

Go to Downloads - Windows IoT and download Windows 10 IoT Core Dashboard .

Double click on setup.exe and click on install

Wait for the installation to complete

Open IoT Dashboard and Click on setup a new device

You will be asked to sign in to Microsoft account, you can do that or you can skip the step.

Select the below details in the next screen

aabhas

Actually you are referring to Windows 10 IOT core but I am referring to the Windows on Arm .And I wanted to try it out on Raspberry Pi 4 but I was not able to do the correct installation procedure so I could use it with Raspberry Pi 3 as well.

Thanks

Aabhas Senapati