2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2019 3:59 PM by shabaz

Why does industrial use a non-temp rated HDMI framer?

terryfryar

Purchased an industrial element 14 beaglebone black.  The PHY and eMMC are industrial temp versions of the parts.  However, was very surprised to find a TDA19988 hdmi framer chip, which was used on the original beaglebone black board that is non-industrial.  This part does not meet the industrial temperature range?  I believe the industrial range is -40 to +85, however the TDA19988 only goes down to -20.  Other industrial beaglebones have used a ADV7511 framer in order to meet the temperature spec.

Why is this HDMI part used?  Does this mean the industrial element 14 board is NOT industrial temp rated then?

• Re: Why does industrial use a non-temp rated HDMI framer?
          clem57

shabaz maybe you might know since you had a chance to review...

• Re: Why does industrial use a non-temp rated HDMI framer?
            shabaz

Hi Terry,

Just speculating here, but does that part come in an industrial temp variant? I've not checked, but it might not, if it is intended for consumer applications, it may not be rated for that in the datasheets, but the manufacturer may have been consulted to investigate if it will work to that range under certain circumstances (e.g. under certain operating voltages).

As another case in point, a chip I was using for a different project, had no ESD specification, so it could be assumed that this needed to be external circuitry. But querying with the manufacturer, revealed that there was a certain amount of ESD protection.

In yet another case, a product was only rated (from memory) to about -10 degrees or so, but querying with the manufacturer revealed that the limitation for that product was the crystal oscillator, they had not tested with an oscillator rated for lower temperature. So with some small additional thermal considerations the entire board could function to far lower temperatures.

1 of 1 people found this helpful