3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 12:46 AM by shabaz

KiCad on Pi 4

jack.chaney56

I got my new Raspberry Pi 4 (2G), and started checking out the improvements with many of the applications that I was accustomed to using. When I loaded and started running KiCad, I ran into an issue. Not being sure if it was due to using the Pi 4, or because it was a more current version of the loaded software, I repeated the installation process (with all the inclusions), on a Pi 3B+, and the problem did not occur.  After three more attempts of the installation (all the way back to reloading Noobs), I determined there might be something wrong with the interaction with the new Pi 4.

I started performing a search on the web for evidence of anyone else who was experiencing the same problem but had no success, so I am posting the problem here, to see if anyone has encountered something similar, or if I am just not doing something right.

The problem is, when using KiCad, any of the graphic operations (mostly routing connections, and moving parts). The display does not refresh the lines, and screen trash is left all over. This persists until I close down the window and re-open it.  The application stores the drawings correctly, because when I reopen the sheet, all the parts and connections are in their correct places.

If anyone knows about an existing problem, or if I simply don't have the proper library loaded (GTK, or whatever), I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thank you in advance,

Jack

• Re: KiCad on Pi 4
          clem57

jack.chaney56 Take a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

which documents HDMI settings and new ones for 4pi. Also check the buffer split for video of RAM.

Clem

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            balearicdynamics

I have not yet tried special graphic applications on the Pi, but I will do it soon. In the meantime, I have connected two monitors and just tested running some commercial graphic output, youtube, etc. The issue I experience is not so different by when I try to use a graphic application inside windows virtual machines to which I have assigned too few memory for the virtual video card. My suggestion is trying to resign to use a few more mega over the 1Gb for the system and give a considerable amount of memory split for the video card. I have tried with 512 for normal usage in a development non-graphical environment but I will also try another version os the system using a full 1 Gb for the video.

Enrico

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              shabaz

It will take a while for some bugs to be discovered/ironed out - unfortunately this is the case with every Pi release. I too encountered a few issues (not video related, but startup scripts related) when trying to port code/apps from Pi 3 to Pi 4. I was able to resolve or work around the issues to an extent, but the users are the testers/early-adopters basically : )