4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2019 2:48 PM by shabaz

Unreliable SD memory card

colporteur

Has anyone experienced an unreliable memory card when using a Micro SD card (small) in a Standard SD card (large)holder?

I am looking for insight into a video camera problem. The operator has indicated the Micro SD memory cards (tried a few) are intermittent when used with the standard SD sized card holders. I have ran through a gauntlet of questions about the cards and the setup but nothing stands out.

I have not experienced such a problem myself and I can't find any information that suggests there would be a problem with the adaptor cards. The operator insists using Mirco in the standard card holder is the problem. I thought I would ask before taking the camera into the shop.

Can you drop me a line if you have any knowledge?

Sean

• Re: Unreliable SD memory card
          beacon_dave

No, but I have noticed that some SD cards turn out to be a Micro SD card in a wrapper if you pull them apart and look inside.

ralphjy

I've experienced issues with microSD cards but never because of using an adapter.  I suppose you've already tried different types of microSD card (brands, size, etc).

colporteur

An apologies for my tardiness in replying. I'm having some technical difficulties getting notifications lately.

I have suggested a process to try and narrow down the issue. Those efforts have been met with the typically "tried that" response.  I also get responses like I think, I'm not sure and that should not cause a problem.  I'm not saying they are wrong but their testing methodology isn't rigorous. They don't have the resources or want to put the effort forward to isolate the problem.

I use SD cards, all types and flavours, in many of my projects. I have never had an issue that points to the card holder. I thought I would throw out a request and see if my results are the norm.

Sean

shabaz

Hi Sean,

I've not seen such an issue either, so this response is pure speculation and perhaps worthless : (

Based on no evidence I've always (perhaps wrongly) considered the supplied adaptors to be temporarily/intermittently used to get data to/from the card when using them with a PC, i.e. I've thought of them as throwaway. They always looked flimsy to me. Maybe the adaptors are not intended for use over a long period of time.

So, for any device that has a full-size slot, I've always purchased a full-size card basically.