4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2019 11:59 PM by pranav.shivalingaiah

Use Xilinx kernel 4.19 with petalinux v2018.3 + ultra96v2_oob_2018_3 bsp

pranav.shivalingaiah

Hi Avnet Team,

I am using Ultra-96 V2 board from Avnet and I have followed the steps " Out-of-tree Build " section in ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf and able to build the Xilinx 4.19 kernel successfully.

But when I copy the image.ub to boot partition of sdcard and boot the board , boot struct at "Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...".

Looks like SD card detection is not happening in this kernel.

I have also compiled the Xilinx 4.19 kernel without petalinux and generated the image.ub and here the target boots successfully.

Looks like there is some issue in device tree please see the logs below

sdhci-arasan ff160000.mmc: ignoring dependency for device, assuming no driver

sdhci-arasan ff170000.mmc: ignoring dependency for device, assuming no driver.

Attached the logs where same issue seen for many device.

Please let me know how to overcome this issue.

Regards,

Pranav

• Re: Use Xilinx kernel 4.19 with petalinux v2018.3 + ultra96v2_oob_2018_3 bsp
          narrucmot

Hi Pranav,

The boot log you shared indicates Linux has begun booting, but is hung looking for its root filesystem ("Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...").  The rootfs is expected to be on a ext4 formatted partition (/dev/mmclk0p2).  You may want to take a look at the posted PetaLinux 2018.3 BSP we have for the Ultra96-V2 board:

Ultra96-V2

http://downloads.element14.com/downloads/zedboard/ultra96/ultra96v2_oob_2018_3.zip

This BSP provides pre-built binaries and will build a complete OS image.  It expects the BOOT.bin and image.ub are booted from a FAT or FAT32 formatted partition and the rootfs mounted on a 2nd ext4 formatted partition.  If you have followed the Getting Started Guide for the Ultra96-V2 board and downloaded the pre-made SD card image (Ultra96v2_Factory_Image_Write_190611.zip) then  your microSD card will be configured for these partitions.

If you want to boot your own custom image (and you haven't followed the Getting Started Guide) you will need to first partition the CD card with - for example - a 1GB FAT32 boot partition and (assuming you are using the provided 16GB Delkin micro SD card) a 15GB ext4 partition.  Look in the 'images/linux' folder of your PetaLinux project and extract the rootfs.tar.gz file to the ext4 partition and then try again to boot your OS image.  Remember that you will need to have 'root' or 'su' permissions to extract the rootfs to the ext4 partition.  It is a good idea to delete anything that is already in that partition, so be careful that you don't delete anything you need to keep.  For example, on an Ubuntu host:

$ sudo rm -rf /media/training/<UUID of ext4 partition>/*

$ sudo tar xvf ./images/linux/rootfs.tar.gz -C /media/training/<UUID of ext4 partition>/

$ sync; sync (VERY IMPORTANT to sync the filesystem BEFORE ejecting the SD card!  If you don't the filesystem may be corrupted.)

I hope this helps!

--Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Use Xilinx kernel 4.19 with petalinux v2018.3 + ultra96v2_oob_2018_3 bsp
              pranav.shivalingaiah

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the Response.

I have followed the same steps.

1. Initially I have used the Prebuilt binaries downloaded from Avnet,
              2. Flashed the Sd card using BalenaEtcher tool.
              3. Next downloaded the Petalinux2018.3 and ultra96v2_oob_2018_3.bsp.
              4. As our requirement is to use Xilinx kernel 14.19 , I have modifed bitbake files to download the 4.19 kernel instead of 4.14 (default in petalinux 2018.3)
              5. Build done successfully.
              6. As SD Card already prepared by BalenaEtcher tool , have just copied the image.ub file built by me which has Xilinx kernel 14.19.
              7. Linux kernel starts booting but Looks like SD card detection is not happening. See the below logs OR previously attached logs.

sdhci-arasan ff160000.mmc: ignoring dependency for device, assuming no driver

sdhci-arasan ff170000.mmc: ignoring dependency for device, assuming no driver.

Need your kind support here to debug this further.

Regards,

Pranav