7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2019 5:15 PM by gdstew

Powering BeagBone Ai ?

mudz

Hi,

Received my order, which was set to be cancelled by element14, this whole order was a blunder. https://www.element14.com/community/message/282849/l/cant-order-from-element14-as-an-individual#282849

Anyways, its here and I just opened BB-AI Kit, there is nothing here to power it, not a usb cable included.So, How are you all powering your BB-AI kits? Documentation shows to use a 5V 3A USB type-C adaptor. So, what you are all using to power it? Specific adaptor?

There are USB-C mobile chargers as well, these things changes it's voltage to 9v when needed, does BB-AI support this mode?

• Re: Powering BeagBone Ai ?
          gdstew

1) You can use a USB C cable connected to your computer. You do have to buy it. Then following the quick start guide you can use use the browser on  your computer

to work with the BeagleBone AI. You will probably need to use Windows as I could not get it to work with Linux (did not show up as a drive as it was supposed to)

2) The official Raspberry Pi 4 power supply will work. With that you will need a USB keyboard/USB mouse with a USB hub (I am using a Logitech USB wireless combo

keyboard/mouse which works just fine), a micro HDMI to HDMI converter cable, and a monitor.

3) The CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 power supply will also work (that is what I am using), you will need the same extra stuff as for the Raspberry Pi power supply.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              mudz

1) You can use a USB C cable connected to your computer.

Will USB C connected to laptop be able to provide all the amps required for BB-AI on load?

gdstew

That will depend on your laptop. The official BeagleBoard AI System Reference Manual shows it being used connected to a laptop so it is possible.

They recommend using a 3A (amp) power and the USB C spec has both 1.5A with 3A as an options. All USB C cables are supposed to handle 3A.

There should be some specification on your laptop USB  C port in the manual. If you don't have a manual you should be able to find one using Google.

If you can't find it, tell me what the make and model of your laptop is and I will see if I can find it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                sjmill01

If you have a Nintendo Switch, it's power supply works perfectly.  You can buy a "replacement" one for under $15.

1 of 1 people found this helpful