7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2020 4:25 PM by charlieatwork

Petalinux and MicroZed BSP problems (2019.1)

Fred27

It's great to see an update to the BSPs for the Microzed and other boards. I'm trying to get to grips with Petalinux for the MicroZed and it seemed a bit odd that until recently the latest BSP was for 2018.2.

I'm still having issues with the 2019.1 MicroZed 7010 BSP and I was wondering if the problem is likely to be the BSP or Petalinux installation. I eventually managed to install Petalinux successfully on a clean Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS VM. (There a few tweaks to the UG1144 guide I needed but I eventually got there.)

I've copied mz7010_fmccc_2019_1.bsp over. I successfully ran

petalinux-create -t project -s mz7010_fmccc_2019_1.bsp

I was trying to follow the simplest route to check petalinux is working as intended by following https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog-Archived/Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed-Chronicles-Part-54-Peta-Linux-SDK-for-the/…

I then cd'd into the newly created mz7010_fmccc_2019.1 folder and ran

petalinux-boot --qemu --prebuilt 3

Petalinux error

Any ideas? Am I using the BSP correctly? Is my Petalinux installation OK? I'm not sure where to go from here and google didn't help much either.

• Re: Petalinux and MicroZed BSP problems (2019.1)
          charlieatwork

I've got the same problem (with a 7010 PicoZed).  Also 2019.1.
          Can anyone provide a solution or hints please?

I resolved the tftp warning shown in screenshot by installing tfptd-hpa rather than tftpd.    It's the qemu vlan vs netdev issue I'm asking about and the segmentation fault.

narrucmot

I notice you mention you are running PetaLinux 2019.2 on an Ubuntu v18.04.3 host.  Technically this is an unsupported OS.  Xilinx UG1144 states that "Ubuntu Linux Workstation/Server 16.04.5, 16.04.6, 18.04.1,18.04.02 (64-bit)" is supported:

This may or may not be your issue, but we have seen strange failures happen when later Ubuntu versions (v18.04.3, v18.04.4) are used.

It may also be a strange qemu error.  I must admit I rarely use qemu, so I am not much help here.  A quick "petalinux qemu 'vlan' is deprecated. please use 'netdev' instead" Google search turned up this:
            https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-fails-to-boot-on-QEMU/td-p/805730

If you have a MicroZed handy it may be easiest to copy the built image.ub and boot.bin to an SD card and physically test your OS image.  Alternatively you can also try booting via JTAG:

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

--Tom

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                charlieatwork

Hello.. Thank you Tom for your response.  I'd not payed attention to the minor number within the host Ubuntu VM so I've started again butI'm still struggling to get going with PetaLinux.

I've resolved two of the three problems shown in Fred Murphy's original post (that I was also stuck with):

1) The "no tftp" server problem is resolved by installing tftpd-hpa and ensuring it's running.

2) The vlan is deprecated message is resolved by using the "exact correct" host Ubunutu version.  In may case I was using 18.04.4 but I should have been using 18.04.2.

But I'm stuck with the segmentation fault.

I'm following document UG1144 2019.2.

I've an Ubuntu 18.04.2 Virtual Machine onto which I've installed the prerequisite Linux packages and PetaLinux 2019.2.

I've not configured or built a new kernel; so far I'm only attempting to run in QEMU the prebuilt kernel provided by Avnet's pz7010_fmc2_2019_2.bsp for Avnet's PicoZed board.

I've installed the BSP but when I then run petalinux-boot --qemu --prebuilt 3  I get a segmentation fault within a second or two:

INFO: sourcing build tools

INFO: The image provided is a zImage

INFO: TCP PORT is free

INFO: Starting arm QEMU

INFO:  qemu-system-aarch64 -M arm-generic-fdt-7series -machine linux=on   -serial /dev/null -serial mon:stdio -display none -kernel /home/charlie/pz7010_fmc2_2019_2/build/qemu_image.elf -gdb tcp::9000 -dtb /home/charlie/pz7010_fmc2_2019_2/pre-built/linux/images/system.dtb  -net nic,netdev=eth0 -netdev user,id=eth0,tftp=/tftpboot -net nic -device loader,addr=0xf8000008,data=0xDF0D,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000140,data=0x00500801,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf800012c,data=0x1ed044d,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xf8000108,data=0x0001e008,data-len=4 -device loader,addr=0xF8000910,data=0xF,data-len=0x4 

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I'm pretty sure I've got OS and package versions correct so what am I doing wrong?  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Is there a tight compatibility between Avnet's BSP for the Picozed and Xilinx's PetaLinx?   I've not yet got hardware available and was hoping to make progress on the OS and software front by using a VM with QEMU.

Regards

Charlie