7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2020 3:27 PM by colporteur

low profille rpi4

jeromehess

working on a project and the rpi is great, but a little thinck

found a guy who was low profiling rpi 3s so i asked if he could do my 4

he said sure, so ii sent it to to him and he did a great job

replaced the double USB stack w/ singles abd got rid of 1 hdmi and the rj45, and 1 hdmi

just got it back and it wont boot, nno razzies nothing

could be a bad  secard  4s ive used have been sensitive, but then i remembered some conversations abouot the broadcom cpu having some shared USB/neworklines, so im wonderng if i need a jumper

any and all oideas appreiated\\yjx

• Re: low profille rpi4
          michaelkellett

jeromehess  wrote:

he said sure, so ii sent it to to him and he did a great job

It wasn't that great a job if it doesn't work any more !

Did it work before you sent it away ?

Next time make it part of the contract that the modder supplies a working board !

If connectors have been removed and replaced on a multilayer board then just about anything could be wrong - to fix it you would need test gear and a schematic - and even then it may beyond repair.

MK

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jeromehess

It was only a 1 shot and an experiment so i know when i started that anything here there or in transit could kill it

or i could just have a bad sd card (most likely)

However over the years I know there have been various conversations concerning the fact that (If i remember correctly) something about previous RPI's involved the RJ45 and the USB sharing somedata lanes (thats a generalzation, my memory). SO my real question was not so much in concern about this RPI as the RPI4 in general.

Does anyone know if there is anything in the 4 that might cause issues?

In the long run my goal isnt really to remove the extra jacks as to take them off the boardb and connect the via short wires. That way they are more easily configuarable physically

I just figure the folks here would know more that I would....

michaelkellett

Earlier Pis effectively access Ethernet via internal USB - the Pi 4 does it the usual way (ie processor interfaces to Ethernet PHY chip directly) so it can support GBit ethernet.

MK

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      jeromehess

Ah ha!  so the 4 has solved the original issue (I know there are others, but the issue of sharing the USB channel isnt one of them

cool, so chances are its a bad SD

or not so much a bad one as not being one that the 4 likes

I have noticed several items with the 4 that it doesnt do well with, like the 10" screen for exasmple

and then the "desktop" kit I bought several years ago, that allowed me to strap an m.2 drive to the top plugs in and just works!

im flashing another card now.....

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  colporteur

I just want to confirm the details.

You have a Pi 4 that is not working after the physical profile was reduced by removing the USB, HDMI and RJ45 connectors.

You are looking for a reason why the Pi 4 is not working?

jeromehess

Well yes.

Interesting finding now.

The low profile works great, turns out that ALL my 4's are VERY sensitive to the SD card I use.

Ive been buying the regular black sandisk cards from Target and they work great in everything BUT the RPI4.

The part that got me, that SHOULD have been my 1st clue, was that the LEDs werent blinking. the 1st one was on steady, but the decond one, that should be blinking like a read light, never came on.

I tried different image writer, the whole thing, nothing.

someone on another forum said that they used video quality cards in their 4s, so i bought a few, slightly more $ but its working great!

Wacky part was, Im assembling a NAS/FTP server and it booted and ran off one of the black sandisks for a week. Then I added some more drives, rebooted and it quit working!

Moved to the video card and voila, works everytime!  The low profile is really a neat idea. its like the 3A but stronger. I just wish my soldering skills were up to that speed.....

3 of 3 people found this helpful