Did autodesk fold in on Eagle?

Autodesk Guest

I got this email from autodesk:

|As of January 7th, 2020, Autodesk EAGLE will now be included as a part

|of a Fusion 360 subscription. All users maintain access to your

|existing EAGLE software while gaining access to Fusion 360 at no

|additional charge.

I suspect autodesk is slowly giving up on this business, and that my

long wanted features never will see the day.

It is sad for the Eagle community and a huge threshold to climb for

those of us needing to move to a different software.

• Re: Did autodesk fold in on Eagle?
          Autodesk Guest

On 14/01/2020 09:31, Morten Leikvoll wrote:

|additional charge.

I don't think Autodesk are "giving up on" Eagle. However, they are

fundamentally an MCAD company and only see ECAD through the lens of

ECAD-MCAD integration, so their vision of the future is that Eagle is a

small part of the whole product design, whereby you put all your effort

into perfecting the housing to be wonderfully ergonomic, and, oh, by the

way, design a bit of electronics to go in it.

I suspect, however, that this does sound the death knell for Eagle for

me. The thing is, Fusion360 isn't available for Linux, and I can't

foresee that changing, so the more they integrate the two products, the

less hope there is for any future Linux versions of Eagle.

dukepro

On 1/15/20 13:33, Rob Pearce wrote:

foresee that changing, so the more they integrate the two products,

the less hope there is for any future Linux versions of Eagle.

Rob,  I'm still on v7.7 - the last issue with a perpetual license.

Sticking with v7.7 seems to be a smart move.  I have a lot of IP wrapped

up in Eagle.  The thought of paying someone else an annual fee to access

what already belongs to me just doesn't set well.  The prediction at the

time what that Autodesk would eventually retire Eagle, or go out of

business, or be bought out by someone who already had ECAD and didn't

want to support two competing products.

As you pointed out, dropping Linux support is clearly predictable now. 

One step closer.

As far as the price for Fusion 360 being the same, I wouldn't count on

that very long.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  Autodesk Guest

Am 16.01.20 um 23:11 schrieb Chuck Huber:

On 1/15/20 13:33, Rob Pearce wrote:

foresee that changing, so the more they integrate the two products,

the less hope there is for any future Linux versions of Eagle.

Rob,  I'm still on v7.7 - the last issue with a perpetual license.

Sticking with v7.7 seems to be a smart move.  I have a lot of IP wrapped

up in Eagle.  The thought of paying someone else an annual fee to access

what already belongs to me just doesn't set well.  The prediction at the

time what that Autodesk would eventually retire Eagle, or go out of

business, or be bought out by someone who already had ECAD and didn't

want to support two competing products.

As you pointed out, dropping Linux support is clearly predictable now. 

One step closer.

As far as the price for Fusion 360 being the same, I wouldn't count on

that very long.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Same here — sticking with v7.7 / Linux and eventually investigating

future alternatives.  But certainly no rented software ever!

— Hans

Autodesk Guest

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:31:25 +0100, Morten Leikvoll

wrote:

|additional charge.

From a friend who works at Autodesk.  Eagle as a stand-alone product

is gone,  Now it's just another module.

I don't understand continuing to waste time on Eagle from  a company

which hates it's customers.

KiCAD is FOSS and vastly superior. CERN is funding the project to the

extent that there are a couple of full-time developers working on it

plus the many volunteers.

KiCAD has a module to import Eagle files.  I tried it on my largest

board, one with about 450 components.  Imported with no fuss and I

didn't have to make any corrections.

I'm on the KiCAD developer's list (I'm NOT a developer. I mostly lurk

and occasionally offer experience-based advice.

The newest version is ready for release.  I'm not sure whether it's

actually out there in the free world.  If not, it will be in a couple

of weeks.

The open source hardware community has, for the most part, converted

to KiCAD.

Just do it.

John

John DeArmond

http://www.neon-john.com

http://www.tnduction.com

Tellico Plains, Occupied TN

See website for email address

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                    shabaz

autodeskguest  wrote:

KiCAD is FOSS and vastly superior.

Vastly superior to some perhaps. Lets be honest it's also clunky in a lot of ways, despite the CERN effort for years. I've been trying to learn it for the past few weeks, and there's lots that EAGLE does right that KiCAD doesn't, as far as the user interface goes. EAGLE doesn't try to conform to Windows conventions. It's like the RPN of calculators. I've also been tempted by Pulsonix, because it is written by the same people who did Visula and CadSTAR - the former was spectacularly good, and CadSTAR was pretty good before it got bloated.

Anyway, regardless of my criticism, I'm still planning to move off EAGLE to KiCAD - for now. If better software comes along I'll switch to it.

KiCAD has a module to import Eagle files.

It has a capability to import some EAGLE files. It doesn't import library files, unless that's some feature that's really well hidden.

And the various bits of open source out there that people have written as attempts to fix that, are out-of-date because it looks like KiCAD library format changed.

As a result, I've been busy writing my own code to interwork with KiCAD library file format..

Autodesk Guest

On 1/02/2020 2:15 pm, shabaz wrote:

wrote:

KiCAD is FOSS and vastly superior.

Vastly superior to some perhaps. Lets be honest it's also clunky in a lot of ways, despite the CERN effort for years. I've been trying to learn it for the past few weeks, and there's lots that EAGLE does right that KiCAD doesn't, as far as the user interface goes. EAGLE doesn't try to conform to Windows conventions. It's like the RPN of calculators. I've also been tempted by Pulsonix, because it is written by the same people who did Visula and CadSTAR - the former was spectacularly good, and CadSTAR was pretty good before it got bloated.

Anyway, regardless of my criticism, I'm still planning to move off EAGLE to KiCAD - for now. If better software comes along I'll switch to it.

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/287864

I will give KICAD a go when I make some time. I need to find some

tuition on Kicad native library usage which links symbol and package,

like Eagle does, hence you don't need to link them with every design.

I saw this referred to in a Kicad project I read about a year ago but

have not pursued it further, since.

If anyone knows of such an article describing the process I would

appreciate knowing of it.

Thanks

Warren

--

... use NNTP://news.cadsoft.de and a functional news reader like

Thunderbird!

Autodesk Guest

On 01/02/2020 01:41, warrenbrayshaw wrote:

I will give KICAD a go when I make some time. I need to find some

tuition on Kicad native library usage which links symbol and package,

like Eagle does, hence you don't need to link them with every design.

Is that a new feature?

To be honest, from what I saw of KiCAD when I tried it, it's a VERY long

way from being a patch on Eagle V7, never mind the latest V9.5.2

I have a permanent license for V7 so I don't need to downgrade to KiCAD.

shabaz

I have not seen that so far, but maybe I've missed it and it is there.

However, I' wondering perhaps there is some programmatic way we can do that ourselves via auto-modifying the design files, without modifying any of the KiCAD binaries.

I have not started looking at that yet, but began with seeing how to prorammatically create footprints (i.e. packages), mainly so I can continue to use a command line tool to generate them (I did it with EAGLE using custom code: https://github.com/shabaz123/Shabaz-EAGLE-tools  ) and to get familiar with the package file format. I'm going to do it in Python this time, not C. There are already some existing Python libraries for manipulating packages, so I have tried understanding them, and managed to put pads into a package file using code so far, so baby steps.

Anyway for the scenario that you mention, I'll try examining where the relationship between symbol and package gets stored per schematic, so that even if KiCAD does not natively support it, perhaps we could have a Python script to run that would auto-associate the symbol to the package, e.g. from a text file of associations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  Autodesk Guest

On 01/02/2020 10:17, shabaz wrote:

Anyway for the scenario that you mention, I'll try examining where the relationship between symbol and package gets stored per schematic, so that even if KiCAD does not natively support it, perhaps we could have a Python script to run that would auto-associate the symbol to the package, e.g. from a text file of associations.

I'm not sure I believe I'm saying this, as a Gentoo Linux user and GPSim

developer, but...

I really have no interest in a tool that I have to write half of myself

just to make it work. Until the KiCAD core developers come round to the

Eagle way of thinking, it's ruled out for me.

shabaz

I've given up waiting for that.. I doubt KiCAD developers are going to come around unless they spend time with EAGLE.

I'm willing to spend an hour or so per week for a few months to see if I feel comfortable enough with it, along with any minor bits of code I create. If I don't feel comfortable at the end of the exercise, so be it. I still have EAGLE.

I'm a great fan of scripting/coding minor things if it means less messing about with clicking mouse-buttons just to associate symbols with packages.

I had to script minor/code things with EAGLE too.

Maybe we should start a thread to explore/document the minor things we can do to make KiCAD more friendly to use (from EAGLE users perspective). For example, as soon as it is installed, it needs a config change just to make the scrollable zoom more EAGLE-like. By default the zoom is not EAGLE-like.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      Autodesk Guest

On 1/02/2020 11:17 pm, shabaz wrote:

I have not seen that so far, but maybe I've missed it and it is there.

I found this article which appears explain what I was referring to.

Footprints and symbols can be linked.  Looks as if it has some focus in V5

https://forum.kicad.info/t/how-can-i-assign-a-footprint-to-a-symbol/8901

HTH

Warren

--

Thunderbird!

shabaz

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the link.

I explored KiCAD a bit today, and noticed some symbols in the library are already associated with footprints, so that's great that the mechanism exists.

Also, I explored the file formats a little bit, and they are fairly understandable (I didn't think they wouldn't be, but I wanted to get familiar with what they look like).

if I get any further I'll start a different thread (maybe called "EAGLE to KiCAD Experiments" or something) so that the information is more easy to find than on this thread we've hijacked : )

Autodesk Guest

On 3/02/2020 10:09 am, shabaz wrote:

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the link.

I explored KiCAD a bit today, and noticed some symbols in the library are already associated with footprints, so that's great that the mechanism exists.

Also, I explored the file formats a little bit, and they are fairly understandable (I didn't think they wouldn't be, but I wanted to get familiar with what they look like).

if I get any further I'll start a different thread (maybe called "EAGLE to KiCAD Experiments" or something) so that the information is more easy to find than on this thread we've hijacked : )

--

https://www.element14.com/community/message/287910

It's a good idea to start a new thread but I'll add a little more here

to clarify/correct what I wrote earlier.

Here is a new link to a document titled "KiCad Library Convention"

https://kicad-pcb.org/libraries/klc/

Within it there is a section "Fully specified symbols"/

That term "Atomic part" is the term I did not get correct earlier.

Then it says "The official library requires fully specified symbols

except for a small number of libraries that contain only generic symbols."

So Kicad has transitioned to a library model similar to Eagle

I suspect a ULP should be able to convert our personal Eagle libraries

to atomic parts.

HTH

Warren

--

Thunderbird!

Autodesk Guest

On 2/2/2020 22:09, shabaz wrote:

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the link.

I am starting to think this forum may not survive for long. Maybe there

should be an official ex-eagle users forum available to old timers?

Maybe there exist a kicad thread?

Autodesk Guest

Am 03.02.2020 um 10:21 schrieb Morten Leikvoll:

I am starting to think this forum may not survive for long. Maybe there

should be an official ex-eagle users forum available to old timers?

Maybe there exist a kicad thread?

Hi Morten,

I fear too about the survival.

I recently checked out my earlier contacts, but most of them working at

institutes. Eagle central is off (imho). The only site active I found is

bob starr. Question is if he would do it and if it suits the other old

timers?

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag

Autodesk Guest

On 2/3/2020 13:29, Joern Paschedag wrote:

Hi Morten,

I recently checked out my earlier contacts, but most of them working at

institutes. Eagle central is off (imho). The only site active I found is

bob starr. Question is if he would do it and if it suits the other old

timers?

Ok, I took the liberty to start a new slack team called eagle_oldtimers

just to test the interest. If no interest is shown, I can just delete

the team later.

For nonprofit use, wich I think an independant chat is, this is a free

service, but unfortunately limited file and log storage. I use it for

other stuff and find it easy to use and easy to access over web

(eagle_oldtimers.slack.com) or apps for most platforms.

Also, this is an invite only chat service so you'd have to be invited

via your email, so if you want to join in, drop your email in this

thread, or email me with the subject "eagle_oldtimers" (remove the

"spam" part of the email adr)

official eagle representatives are welcome too, altho we should try to

keep the non profit terms of use.

Autodesk Guest

Am 04.02.2020 um 11:01 schrieb Morten Leikvoll:

On 2/3/2020 13:29, Joern Paschedag wrote:

Hi Morten,

I recently checked out my earlier contacts, but most of them working

at institutes. Eagle central is off (imho). The only site active I

found is bob starr. Question is if he would do it and if it suits the

other old timers?

Ok, I took the liberty to start a new slack team called eagle_oldtimers

just to test the interest. If no interest is shown, I can just delete

the team later.

For nonprofit use, wich I think an independant chat is, this is a free

service, but unfortunately limited file and log storage. I use it for

other stuff and find it easy to use and easy to access over web

(eagle_oldtimers.slack.com) or apps for most platforms.

Also, this is an invite only chat service so you'd have to be invited

via your email, so if you want to join in, drop your email in this

thread, or email me with the subject "eagle_oldtimers" (remove the

"spam" part of the email adr)

official eagle representatives are welcome too, altho we should try to

keep the non profit terms of use.

Hi Morten,

nice to give it a try.

My email: jpaschedag@t-online.de

--

Joern Paschedag

dukepro

Good morning, Morten,

I'll give it a shot.  Do they have an NNTP server?  Or strictly web based?

Thanks,

- Chuck

On 2/4/20 05:01, Morten Leikvoll wrote:

Ok, I took the liberty to start a new slack team called

eagle_oldtimers just to test the interest. If no interest is shown, I

can just delete the team later.

sjmill01

I moved off KiCAD to Eagle once it integrated with Autodesk Fusion 360.  It makes for an even quicker build.  I never have a PCB that doesn't need an enclosure.  So, their approach eliminates a lot of measuring and rework.  It very much streamlines the design workflow.

As far as I can tell, its still free for students, hobbyists, and educators.

-Sean

shabaz

EAGLE's great, unfortunately I'm beyond the free limit (for layers and size) and while I don't mind paying for software, for me I'd rather look elsewhere at that price. It works out to $1500 if I commit for three years (or $2500 pay-monthly) and PCB design isn't my career. For that cost, I can either use EAGLE, or put that money toward some vocational course to further my career down any path.

Also at this cost it is the same ballpark to rent CAD software used by large enterprises, e.g. Mentor Graphics or OrCAD. The free tier is fantastic though for those able to use it though.

Autodesk Guest

Am 01.02.2020 um 19:26 schrieb Sean Miller:

I moved off KiCAD to Eagle once it integrated with Autodesk Fusion 360.  It makes for an even quicker build.  I never have a PCB that doesn't need an enclosure.  So, there approach eliminates a lot of measuring and rework for me.  It very much streamlines the design workflow.

As far as I can tell, its still free for students, hobbyists, and educators.

-Sean

--

https://www.element14.com/community/message/287878

That doesn't work for me. I need a pro version that doesn't stick on

internet. And I don't want a rental license.

I run eagle on windows but if win runs out of support I shall not

upgrade to win 10.

I shall go with Linux then and my eagle-6.6 will still run on

I have tried KICAD but.... well read the former posts and import of

eagle files is not so flawless as pointed out by some people.

I read that Fusion360 is not running on Linux. What about Mac?

I have a question to the fellas here: what eagle version are you running

now?

--

Joern Paschedag

Autodesk Guest

On 02/02/2020 07:57, Joern Paschedag wrote:

I believe it does run on Mac. Some people claim it works on Linux under

Wine but I'm not going to go down that route.

now?

I have V5.12, V7.7 and V9.5.2 (and a couple of others as legacy from the

CAM processor fiasco at V8.6)

V7 has a standard license, which allows V5 to be used in that mode, too.

Autodesk Guest

Am 02.02.2020 um 09:41 schrieb Rob Pearce:

On 02/02/2020 07:57, Joern Paschedag wrote:

I believe it does run on Mac. Some people claim it works on Linux under

Wine but I'm not going to go down that route.

I have a question to the fellas here: what eagle version are you

running now?

I have V5.12, V7.7 and V9.5.2 (and a couple of others as legacy from the

CAM processor fiasco at V8.6)

V7 has a standard license, which allows V5 to be used in that mode, too.

I have 5.12 too and for some verrry old Friends I can run 4.16R2 all

versions are pro.

I did not go to 7.7 because I saw not a good relation between money and

value, but what upset me was the EULA.

--

Joern Paschedag

Autodesk Guest

On 2/2/2020 8:57, Joern Paschedag wrote:

now?

I'm running 7.7 (got 3 full licenses).

The stuff I do on 7.7 is probably off the edge of what Eagle can do, but

thanks to some self made scripting, it really does the job pretty well

for the price. Not to mention all the offloaded running cost worries..

Because of the stuff I do is not easy to port to KiCad (afaict),

switching is not an issue, atleast not until Kicad can do proper layer

stack config and width/spacing adjustments for high speed impedance

matched diff routing.

My latest Eagle project does both large DDR4 banks and quite a lot of

5.4G displayport routing pretty well.

dubbie

I have been thinking it is about time I bit the bullet and got to grips with some modern (free) PCB design package. I have used Proteus a few years ago but that is not free. I have downloaded a version of Eagle a couple of years ago now when I first retired but could not get to grips with it then. Now I want to make accustom PCB for my walking robot herd project (stripboard just isn't effective enough plus I will want several).

Having read through all these comments I now do not know whether to put that effort into Eagle or KiCAD. I'm not a professional user, or experienced, I just want something that will enable me to make relatively simple small PCBs without too much effort. Maybe I'll try out KiCAD before making a decision.

Dubbie

shabaz

Hi Dubbie,

For a hobbyist if you think you won't exceed the EAGLE limits (80cm2, and 2-layer) then EAGLE is great. However, even if you only want to exceed that size occasionally, then you're stuck with paying £54 for the month you exceed that limit, with the current EAGLE version. I wrote 4 blogs on element14 last year that had PCBs that exceeded that size limit, so I would have had to spend £216 last year ($285) if I worked on each project in a different month. I get by with an older EAGLE release which is permanently licensed, but I do wish to have some more recent features now.

genebren

Dubbie,

Ditto on shabaz comments.  I have been using Eagle for 15+ years now (more that 150 boards and many updates/revisions).  I has it quirks and strangeness, but it has been a useful and trusty companion.  I am currently using 7.6 standard edition (160mm x 100mm, 4 layers, permanent license), which has served be well and I have absolutely no interest in updating or switching to another package.

Gene

Autodesk Guest

Am 02.02.2020 um 17:47 schrieb Gene Breniman:

Dubbie,

Ditto on shabaz comments.  I have been using Eagle for 15+ years now (more that 150 boards and many updates/revisions).  I has it quirks and strangeness, but it has been a useful and trusty companion.  I am currently using 7.6 standard edition (160mm x 100mm, 4 layers, permanent license), which has served be well and I have absolutely no interest in updating or switching to another package.

Gene

--

https://www.element14.com/community/message/287885

Hi Dubbie,

I'm in some other forums also and there are people looking to buy

permanent licenses (even older ones). So far no one is going to  sell

his permanent license.

So if I were in your situation I would go to KICAD.

--

Joern Paschedag