6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 6:50 AM by tarribred61

How to create a 3D aperture inside PCB

marcogivi

Good morning people!

I need your help. I want create a 3D aperture inside my PCB but I don't konw how.

With "Outline layer" I created the shape for my aperture (the shape's not regular...) but now I want create a 3D view where I can see it.

I tried to place a lot of multi-layer pad to create the image but I think it's not correct what I done!

Look the 3D result!!!

Please help me.

Have a nice day.

• Re: How to create a 3D aperture inside PCB
          tarribred61

The tool ribbon has a selection for board cutout that allows you to draw the shape.  Also, you can place a solid region on your board outline layer and then select it and make it into a board cutout. 

You will have to convert your placed objects into the outline of the shape you want.  Possibly do this by tracing the outline or by building the shape on a mechanical layer out of lines and arcs. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              marcogivi

Thank you Thomas!

I tried to make what you said me... but I don't understand how to make arcs...

I drew the outline (pink) and after I drew a region; into the arcs I taked the outline of region and I tried to stay on outline... It's correct?

Or there's another method?

tarribred61

Draw your shape on a mechanical layer (for example mech layer 21).

Place lines and arcs as needed to build the shape. Use a fine line width of 0.05mm or so.

It looks like you got that far.  If you can select the outline primitives you already made then maybe change them to another mechanical layer.  You don't have to but I think keeping the remnant lines and arcs off on the mechanical layer is better.

Next, select the primitives you drew.

Here is the trick....Next go to the search box and start to type convert create... and you should see a command to convert the primitives to a region.

This should make a region on the mechanical layer. You can move the region around you will still see the old lines and arcs.

Double click on the region to bring up its properties.

Change the layer to OUTLINE

Change the Kind from copper to board cutout.

Position it where you want it.

Look in 3D mode.

1 of 1 people found this helpful