3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2020 11:10 AM by miakatt

Creating wirebond pads

miakatt

Can soneone help me in creating small, fine pitch pads for wirebonding? i have seen the tutorials about drawing polygons around smd pads. However I require 6mil wide pads and the existing pads are too large. can anyone advise?

Also, do i need to define this in the tFinish layer for ENIG coating, or do the manufacturers automatically sort this?

Thanks.

• Re: Creating wirebond pads
          dougw

When you select a library to edit, and edit or create any package, you can add SMD pads. You can specify any size SMD pad you like. It could be a package with just one pad, or a complete pattern of pads.

• Re: Creating wirebond pads
              dukepro

On 2/24/20 21:32, Douglas Wong wrote:

When you select a library to edit, and edit or create any package, you can add SMD pads. You can specify any size SMD pad you like. It could be a package with just one pad, or a complete pattern of pads.

In your own library (call it MyLib.lbr) in one of the library path

locations, create a new package (call it BOND01 for one bonding pad),

and create the pad as you desire.  Start by placing an SMD pad of your

chosen dimensions and roundness.  Turn the cream layer off (checkbox). 

Add an appropriate polygon or circle to the tFinish lay to specify gold

plating as necessary.

Save your work.

Copy the 'M' symbol for a male connector from a known library by

entering this command:

COPY M.sym@con-amp-mt.lbr M

Continuing in the library editor, create a new device (call it BOND1). 

Add the symbol 'M' to the device, and add the package BOND01 to the device.

Use the "Connect" button to connect the pad (on the board) to the pin

(on the symbol).

Save your work.

In your schematic editor, enter the commands:

USE MyLib

UPDATE MyLib

Now add the newly created device:

ADD BOND01

Click where you want to place the connector symbol in your schematic.

All that being said, you can follow what Douglas recommended and create

a single package with all of the bonding pads you want in whatever

pattern you need.  Perhaps one "connector" for each edge of the board.

Be sure to add enough M symbols to your device to cover all of the pads

defined in the package.

HTH,

- Chuck

1 of 1 people found this helpful