13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2020 3:13 PM by larry_137

CS Crashes on Library Access

larry_137

I cannot get CS to work. If I access a library, it crashes. If I view a 3D image of my circuit card, it crashes. If I try to do a 3D edit a footprint, it crashes. If I run a rules check and try to save the PCB file, it crashes. I just paid my "subscription" fee, but the program is useless.

Note that I completely designed a PCB (it is now in production) using the same libraries and CS worked flawlessly (well, good enough). At one point several months later, I went to check something in the design files, and the 3D view no longer worked and the Libraries window showed only a line outline with a clear center section. OK? When I tried to exit CS, all I could do was press the kill switch in Task Manager to get out. Task Manager said that DXP.exe was "unresponsive". No kidding.

The PCB was designed under Win7 (and as I said all worked fine) and this lock up happened under the same Win7 (who knows what Microsoft updates do). OK. I tried reloading the program. Crash. Because Win7 expired, I had to update to Win10. Before doing so, I uninstalled CS using Wise Program Uninstall. This kills everything in the program including Registry Keys. I then installed the new operating system (wasn't THAT fun!). With Window 10 on board, most everything seemed OK with minor exceptions. I then loaded CS using all of the defaults, just as the installer wants.  Started CS, and navigated the license activation routine. Great! Good to go. Started CS, and the home page came up. Blank Project Directory on the left, home page in the middle, and thin Library to the right. I checked that the two default integrated libraries were installed. Yes. On the task bar I pressed View and then Libraries. Crash! Could only kill CS using Task Manager. None of my files (which I checked by downloading a 3D viewer and they all looked good) were in use. As an experiment, I loaded CS on my laptop (also Win 10) and did the same sequence. The two integrated libraries came right up, and the footprints showed 3D views on all of the parts.

I have tried asking the forum with no results. Anybody have an idea of a way forward?

• Re: CS Crashes on Library Access
          shabaz

Hi Lawrence,

I don't use this software, but the response I've seen for Circuit Studio is that you need to contact Altium Support.

frog

Hi Lawrence,

Most users appear to be seeing reasonably few crashes.  I have a dim recollection that I had to update my graphics drivers to get CS working properly, although that was a long time ago.  It sounds like you're using a relatively clean Win10 installation and so it's quite possible that you're using some fairly generic drivers.  That would be my guess.

Meanwhile, Altium don't offer any support for CS - I was in contact with them the other day and was told

<quote>

Sorry, we do not support CircuitStudio here. Please contact: Technical Service +44 3447 11 11 22

https://uk.farnell.com/altium-circuitstudio

</quote>

Good luck :-)

larry_137

Hi folks, thanks for the response. My gut feel is that it may be the graphics. However, it used to work with the graphics card I have under Windows 7. It stopped working on Windows 7 and I could not get it going. Due to Microsoft, I then updated to Windows 10. Still did not work. I loaded the latest drivers from Nvidia. Still does not work. So yes, a pretty clean installation but with everything up to date. The Video card is Nvidia Quadro K2220 with the latest drivers from Nvidia.

larry_137

CS works on my laptop but not my desktop (for purposes of work, the laptop display is too small for extended design). I did a file by file compare and all files in the two installations are identical (location, date, and time). The only difference I can find is that the laptop has Direct X 12 installed and the video card supports Direct X 12. The desktop has Direct X 12 installed but the graphics card only supports up to Direct X 11. CS requires only 10 or better. What I have read suggests that if CS only needs 10, then having 11 or 12 makes no difference. However, when I go to 3D view (and the crash), both machines show Direct X {function} except the part where the laptop starts to populate the 3D models, the desktop does nothing (up to this point, both behave the same) and is now locked. It appears to be a Direct X problem. Anyone have some experience here. Would upgrading to a Direct X 12 card solve the problem? If Window is using DX12 on a card that can only do DX11, I can see the problem.

larry_137

Thank you everyone for your help. We circled the correct answer in thinking it was a video card driver issue. Normally, if the Direct X level is higher than the card can support, it is supposed to revert to the level that the card can handle. Apparently in this case, the Direct X 12 API either did not revert to the Direct X 11 level of my driver, or there was an error. To compound the problem, I went to Nvidia (the card is a Quadro K2200) and downloaded the latest driver listed and I still had the problem. Turns out the latest driver listed is NOT the latest driver. I (probably by accident) searched for the "latest K2200 driver" and ended up on a download page I had never seen before at Nvidia. It listed ALL versions of the drivers and and what they improved. Turns out the one I got first was WAY behind. In fact, there was a driver released only on Feb 24 of this year. One of the features: "added Direct X 12 support". After loading and restarting my computer, my PCB rendered and all of my parts had their 3D views. Again, thanks for the help. I got enough hints to know what to look for. Hopefully, this will help someone in the future.

larry_137

One other bit of information. Right click the start icon (Win10), left click run and type "dxdiag" then enter. The Direct X diagnostic tool will come up. On the System tab it will tell you the Direct X version installed on your machine. Then go to the Display tab. Upper right is Direct3D DDI: xx. The xx on this line should match the version on the System page. If it does not, either lower your Direct X version to match the Direct3D DDI, or find a new driver that supports the Direct X version on the System page. In my case, what I thought was the latest driver was not. A new release had come out only a couple of days earlier, and that release said "...added Direct X 12 support>"