7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2020 8:04 AM by dukepro

Serial Flash Memory - W25Q32FV HOW TO MAKE SMD!

scuplex

So i'm back for help cause im a starter!!!
      I came a cross a problem where i cant make a part with SMD

i want to exactly make a

Serial Flash Memory - W25Q32FV
      but in the datesheet it doesnt show to exact lenght and height for the SMD !

How can i came a library for this flash memory and if cant is there something else to use like this one?

Thanks a lot !!!

• Re: Serial Flash Memory - W25Q32FV HOW TO MAKE SMD!
          dukepro

George,

I'm looking at the datasheet for this.  The length and height are

published for several packages.  Look in section 10 titled "Package

Specifications".  Look at dimensions D1 and E1.  You can grab a copy of

the datasheet at:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/813/w25q32fv_revj_06032016-1669822.pdf

Which package is of interest?  There is likely a matching package in

smd-ipc.lbr.  Copy this to your library with:

copy SOP08.pac@smd-ipc.lbr

Verify the all properties of everything.  Many times you can start with

something from the library, and tweak it for a specific purpose.  If you

choose this tweaking route, be sure to rename the package accordingly.

HTH,

- Chuck

On 3/6/20 10:31, george karatzas wrote:

i want to exactly make a

h1. Serial Flash Memory - W25Q32FV

How can i came a library for this flash memory and if cant is there something else to use like this one?

Thanks a lot !!!

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/289256

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              scuplex

Thanks a lot! Page 10 is what i was looking for! But couldnt find it!

Thanks again for the quick reply too! As always the community here is AWESOME!!!!

scuplex

Sorry if im being annoying but i was wondering how can i connect those CS ports to the teensy board!

dukepro

On 3/6/20 14:34, george karatzas wrote:

Sorry if im being annoying but i was wondering how can i connect those CS ports to the teensy board!

First of all, the CS lines are usually active low.  I see the signals

SD-CS and FLASH-CS, neither have a bar over them indicating an active

high status.  Double check the datasheet.  My bet is that they should be

active low.  To get the bar over the signal name, change the NAME of the

nets to include a leading bang: "!SD-CS", and "!FLASH-CS".

As far as connecting them, they're usually connected to a GPIO on the

microcontroller (uC).  You have at least two devices on the SPI bus, and

therefore you MUST control the chip selects manually in code.

Additionally, you'll need to add external pull-up resistors on them -

anywhere from 47k to 100k should be fine.  A 1/16W resistor should work

(0402).  The reason for the pull-up is during power-up and power-down. 

The 5V line will ramp up slowly.  Until the uC comes out of

brown-out-reset (BOR) and the code initializes the specific GPIOs to be

driven, the GPIO's usually default to high-Z.  But during this process,

the SPI slave could very easily come out of reset first.  i.e. The +5V

line reaches the minimum VCC on the slave before it reaches the BOR

voltage of the uC.  If both slaves come up, the CS lines could very

easily be below the Vlow and as such would be interpreted as active.  If

both slaves are active, then both MISO ports are driving the MISO line. 

This is a ripe condition for one slave to drive it high while the other

slave drives it low.

This bus contention is solved by adding the pull-up resistors to the CS

lines.  This assures that the CS is at the same voltage as the +5V line,

and can not be interpreted as a logic low.  No bus contention.  No blown

SDO ports.

Another point to consider, is the voltage on which the GPIOs are

operating.  I see two power supplies going into the uC - 5V and 3.3V. 

If the GPIOs are operating at 3.3V, it may not be a good thing to drive

them with a slave that's operating at 5V.  The GPIOs need to be 5V

tolerant.  Consider the case when the uC is driving the CS, SCK, and

MOSI.  The minimum Vout-hi on the uC might not be high enough to reach

the minimum Vin-high (logic high level) on the slaves.  The GPIOs will

emit about 3.2V.  The slaves may need VDD-1.0.

On chips that can host different voltages usually have a separate VDDIO

power pin.  I don't see that on the excerpt image.

As for hand soldering super small pads, the first thing I start with is

a super-fine soldering iron tip.  They don't exist in any store,

though.  You have to make one.  Start with a fine tip and put it in the

end of a drill.  Using a belt sander with a fine grit, I sand the tip to

a needle point while turning it with the drill.  The down side is that

this removes the nickel plating on the tip, and the underlying copper

will erode faster.  As the copper erodes over time, I repeat the

process, squeezing as much time out of a $2 soldering iron tip as I can.

Another trick I've done in the past is I'll make a special package in

Eagle that has all the same dimensions except that the SMD pads extend

out away from the center of the chip longer than standard.  This allows

easier access when using the aforementioned custom needle-point

soldering iron tip.  This is a temporary fix and should be used only

when hand soldering.  For production, I switch back to the package with

the spec SMD pads.

Yet another trick:  When soldering pins to pads that are 0.5mm spacing,

it's easier to just flood the entire side with solder, bridging all the

pins together.  Come back with some solder wick and wick away the excess

solder.  Reflow each pin to get a good bond and verify that there are no

bridges.  A bit of Chemtronics Flux-off will wash the excess resin away.

Use a microscope.  Look at amscope.com -

https://www.amscope.com/applications/electronics/circuit-boards-general-electronics.html 

Don't be cheap.  Get one with an arm, preferably two arms.  Use a

C-clamp to clamp it to your desk.

HTH

- Chuck

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Autodesk Guest

Am 06.03.2020 um 16:31 schrieb george karatzas:

i want to exactly make a

Thanks a lot !!!

--

Welcome newcomer

First things first:

There are plenty of tutorials about eagle and be advised to work through

them. That might save you from waiting on correct answers.

Second is it very wise to tell the community which version of eagle you

use because they differ slightly and so depends the answer.

Third: You want help on some device then YOU should provide a link to

exact that device.(There might be different versions with the same name)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag

Autodesk Guest

Am 06.03.2020 um 16:31 schrieb george karatzas:

i want to exactly make a

Thanks a lot !!!

--

Welcome newcomer

First things first:

There are plenty of tutorials about eagle and be advised to work through

them. That might save you from waiting on correct answers.

Second is it very wise to tell the community which version of eagle you

use because they differ slightly and so depends the answer.

Third: You want help on some device then YOU should provide a link to

exact that device.(There might be different versions with the same name)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag