12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2020 8:43 AM by damjan5566

Voucher UltraZED-EV

damjan5566

Hello,

just got my UltraZED-EV board yesterday. Yey!

Today I tried to redeem the voucher. Went to xilinx licensing site, clicked Generate license and followed with Redeem Voucher. I generated an evaluation license and spent the voucher without getting a 12 months full seat.

Who could I talk to about this issue ?

regards

Damjan

PS. I know it might not be the right forum. But I don't know where else to go to.

• Re: Voucher UltraZED-EV
          drozwood90

Hi there,

I'm really sorry that happened.  The licensing is a bit strange right now with the introduction of Vitis.  The 7EV has also been allocated as a "free" part, for Vivado WebPack which complicates things.

For now, I think the most expedient solution is to contact your local FAE.  They will be able to help you more directly with this.

Please keep me informed of your status, so we can escalate as needed.

--Dan

damjan5566

Thanks for a quick reply !

It seems after I deleted my floating eval license I have been able to generate a new node locked license based on the voucher. There is an entry in the node locked license that starts with "OEM Voucher ...". It is a bit confusing with other entries that also go into the license and are still evaluation. I hope the rest are separate items that can be purchased individually and the OEM entry will override them. Hopefully. I'll report back if the issue hasn't been resolved. I'll try the newly generated node lock license soon.

Can someone confirm that you are using only "OEM Voucher ..." line (single line) in the license ?

regards

Damjan

drozwood90

Hi there,

What SHOULD happen, is the highest priority license should cover everything that is does - overtop of anything that states eval.  So, even if it says eval for a thing, and that thing is covered by say the "OEM..." license, the item should be licensed.

Lastly, if you were using floating vs node locked - yes, this gets really strange quickly.

Yes, I can confirm, when I use a license, that is what I use.

I typically don't get to the point of using licenses as I'm re-installing the tools so often to setup mirroring a customer configuration, and typically work on the OS and below, so do not get to the point of added a lot of IP!

Also, you can ask Vivado to tell you about licensing and that report DOES give a lot of good information on specific items.  I'm sorry I cannot recall the command nor specifically where, but I think we have an example of that command in the make.tcl, or might be in a project specific make command in the Avnet HDL GUTHUB repo.  We do that to ensure you do not build a project for 4 hours and then the build fails for licensing.  We thought that was silly, so added an upfront check for anything that uses paid licenses (usually something with Video), then stop the build and report to the user.  We really try to create a good model to help customers base their designs off of the repo and have added a lot of good features like that to try to alleviate gotchas and other strange pitfalls that you might fall into.  The big one is source control and reproducability.

Regardless, I'm glad you seem to be worked out now!

--Dan

damjan5566

In attached screenshot you can see what I have. So should the line "OEM Vivado voucher for ZU7EV" override all the others that say "30-Day Eval" or "60-Day Eval" ?

I sure hope so. Perhaps this Friday will still turn out well

drozwood90

Hi there,

It does not override ALL the evals.  It will override any evals that it is supposed to.  What I meant was that it won't require you to remove licenses.

For example, Design Edition does not override Model Composer's Evaluation License.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/integration/model-composer.html

Under the Download / Buy Tab

"Model Composer can be purchased as an add-on license to Vivado Design Edition, Vivado System Edition, Vivado WebPACK Edition and Vitis™ Development Environment. "

--Dan

damjan5566

Hi Dan,

in your opinion, do you think I have properly redeemed the voucher based on this line in the list (my screenshot):

OEM Vivado voucher for ZU7EV  ... 6 Mar 2021

regards

Damjan

drozwood90

Hi there,

I believe so.  I looked at my machine and actually do not have any licenses to compare, but I do believe that is what you will see.  Depending on the special license, there could be other things - for example when you use a voucher for SDSoC, there are a handful of things that get added.

However, with this, I do believe it is just the 1 thing.

You can test it out by running a build from the repo, if it completes without failures, that would easily validate the licenses.  It takes time though, but at least you don't have to interact with it

--Dan

damjan5566

Thank you, Dan !

Can you give me the link to the repo

drozwood90

Sure!

https://github.com/avnet/hdl

Make sure to use the correct branch!

I'd suggest you try building using the make_uz_petalinux.tcl

https://github.com/Avnet/hdl/blob/master/Scripts/make_uz_petalinux.tcl

When you run this, it defaults to building all three UltraZed, you'll want to edit that script to ONLY build the LAST section:

Comment out everything else.

Also, make certain you are doing this either in a VM or a supported native linux install.  We have moved away from using Windows native due to the needs for other parts of the Xilinx build.  While the Vivado build MIGHT work under Windows, I cannot say it does as I've not tested this.

Here is a guide that can help you setup the build environment.

UltraZed-EV

Then download the correct version for the "Development Using Ubuntu Desktop Linux"

--Dan

damjan5566

Thanks !

Don't worry, I prefer Linux. I use it since 1996

2019.2 is fully supported, or better use 2019.1 ? (I've seen in another thread that 2019.2 will be fully supported by end of the month)

I have Vivado 2019.2 installed, and currently installing SDSOC and PetaLinux 2019.1.

drozwood90

Hi there,

The 2019.2 branch is in progress.  We are adding Vitis support, so if you are trying to evaluate the tools, use the 2019.1 tools and branch.

I cannot say the 2019.2 stuff will build as I am not sure what has been checked in at this time.

--Dan

damjan5566

Hi Dan,

looks very promising. I've ran the make_uz_petalinux.tcl and this is what happens:

1. It does block design, synthesis, implementation and generates the bitstream. Awesome !

2. I tried to download the bitstream to a "live" board via JTAG. The blue led comes on after download but the serial console locks up. What is the recommended way to download just the bitstream ?

I can use my bitstream if I build the entire system and put it onto the SD card. But this is a slow process. It would be great if I can download just the bitstream to either a "live" board or perhaps flash it and restart the board, without involving rebuilding the entire linux system.

regards

Damjan