6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2020 11:05 PM by adamwebber

Component Selection

paulknapp

I have great difficulty in selecting a group of components on the PCB.  I have check that all components are not locked and that all filters have components highlighted.  On Home tab, I use Select - Inside Area to enclose a group of components -some of which get highlighted and some don't.  I can move the highlighted ones as a group.   I cannot select the components that are not highlighted but I can move them individually (right click component and use Component Actions - Move which brings up a pop up window with black window and a listing of components below it; I have to select the component from the list and then am able to move it with the cursor. 

The attached shows the result of selecting all of the components in the screen capture.

I need to be able to select and move components as a group.  Appreciate any and all suggestions.

• Re: Component Selection
          adamwebber

I've got to let you know I've never tried the 'Select Inside Area' before.  I guess it's the same as just left-selecting a box around the components.  Some programs such as Solidworks are capable of left-selecting and right-selecting where one direction selects everything completely inside the box but the other direction selects everything that touches the box.  Sadly, CS is not like that.  It would be a nice feature.  But in your case, I can't seem to replicate your problem.  The only way I can do what you are showing is if I do not completely encompass the components inside the box.  What I can do is give you some pointers on speeding up your highlighting and moving process.

1-Don't bother with using the 'Select Inside Area' feature in the menu.  It is redundant as that is the default of the program.  Just drag a box around the components.

2-Hold the Shift key to highlight individual components.

3-Instead of right-clicking and selecting 'Component Actions -> Move', just click 'M' on your keyboard.  It moves everything that is currently highlighted.

4-Use a video screen recorder program such as Screen Recorder by IceCream Apps instead of capturing a single image.  It helps to diagnose problems when we can see the whole picture, start to finish.  It's free and easy to use.

I'd really like to see a video of what's happening to your selection.  I'm willing to bet your components are encompassing a larger area than what you can see.  I've seen that before with Altium and once with CS.  The only way I could resolve it was to delete the components from the PCB and reimport them from the Schematics.

tarribred61

I agree with your response.  I would add that you can hold the shift key and then left click on other components to add them to or remove them from the selected group. That lets you choose parts that might not be close to the group or to remove ones that are mixed in.

paulknapp

Here is a video of my experience.  Hope this clarifies my situation and you ca help.  Thanks in advance and hope you are self isolating and staying healthy.

tarribred61

Thanks for the video.

Why are the pads on the parts you cannot pick the color white and not blue? It looks like the pads are on the silk layer instead of copper.

tarribred61

Instead of deleting the R3 part on the schematic, try to delete it on the PCB, save the PCB and then reupdate from the schematic to the PCB.  You should fix the two unlinked parts.  Linking between the schematic and PCB is done with the unique ID code.  If you mouse doubleclick on a schematic instance of a part you should get the properties box and see a unique id like so..

If you doubleclick on a corresponding part on the PCB you should get the similar ID code with a leading \ character.  My screen shots don't match because they are different parts.

In your video, you aborted the linking steps.

adamwebber

Paul,

I am curious to know if you've found a solution to this problem.  After watching the video, I cannot find a recommendation to fix it.  Thomas Rounds had a good point.  Why do the components look different? 

Maybe the components are locked.  CS has this awful feature where you cannot select multiple locked items.  You need to select them individually to change them from locked to unlocked. 

Try deleting the components from your  PCB and then import them from your schematics again.  When you delete them from the schematics and not the PCB, they remain as-is on the PCB.