0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2020 3:50 PM by abrain

Simple ventilator monitor?

abrain

Hi all, along with the creation of ventilators and continuous positive air pressure (CPAP) devices (and the simpler the better for those with improving reliability), has anyone thought about a simple device for monitoring their operation?

I've been looking at basing something on relatively cheap (around £10) pressure sensors that could be connected into the air line to the patient - an NXP MPX5700 APNXP MPX5700 AP or Panasonic ADP51B63Panasonic ADP51B63.

For the ventilator, we'd be looking for a relatively slow AC signal, so would block out or subtract off anything that looked like DC, and use that to feed a CMOS 555 based watchdog style circuit. If we don't get a "decent" pulse of pressure every 5 seconds or so, then the watchdog circuit would timeout and drive an alarm.

For the CPAP, it ought to be even easier - if there's "enough" pressure there, hold the alarm off, otherwise sound the alarm.

Much as I love using Arduinos, PICs, microBits, etc, and it'd be a really small piece of software to do this, I reckon in this instance some simple electronics would be the way to go to keep it really simple.

I'm not too sure there's that much demand, but will share what I can come up with, and maybe the best idea is to tackle it with a few approaches - once we're through all this, it might be a good STEM project to set pupils a challenge based on a real recent problem?

I know that there's an awful lot of decent experience and good advice out there in the e14 community, so let me have your thoughts and feedback!

A