1 Reply Latest reply on May 6, 2020 9:53 AM by rramesh1992

Use UART0 of pocketbeagle, disable boot and console

chrischristian14

Hi, I have designed a PCB with pocketbeagle as a module, I made a mistake and instead of UART 4 I have connected UART 0, before I cut tracks, I would like to explore option of using UART 0 for my application and UART4  for debug and boot, console. Can any one please guide me where I can change the UART for console and boot ? Please note that this is pocketbeagle and not BBB, I tried changing /dev/tty in  SOC.sh in /boot directory but that didn't make any difference. There is not other mention of tty in any of the files in /boot.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Use UART0 of pocketbeagle, disable boot and console
          rramesh1992

Hello Chris,

To Enable the UART, Please check the below common configuration procedure & this applies to Pocketbeagle also.

To enable the uarts 1,2,4 and/or 5 on the BeagleBone Black, rev A, B and C:

Rev A/B: Open the file /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt in an editor (vim/nano)

Rev C: Open the file /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt in an editor (vim/nano)

Add the key "capemgr.enable_partno="

Add the ports you want to enable, comma separated (BB-UART1, BB-UART2. BB-UART4, BB-UART5)

Reboot

An example line looks like this:

root@beaglebone:/dev# cat /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt

optargs=quiet drm.debug=7 capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART4

After reboot, the device is present in the device list:

root@beaglebone:/dev# ls -l /dev/ttyO*

crw-rw---- 1 root tty     249, 0 Jan  1 01:18 /dev/ttyO0

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 249, 4 Jan  1 01:18 /dev/ttyO4

then

You need to set console=/dev/ttyS0 (swapping ttyS0 for the interface you would like to use) inside /boot/uEnv.txt