19 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2020 8:55 AM by floydianslips

Toki OS my take at it

akamadman203

So to start off my name is Jordan. I found Toki OS in a Reddit post about a month ago not thinking much about it. I gave it a shot while in quarantine to pass time so I dmed the author and got stuff settled and join a group with some other beta testers. Once we could download it I had some issues since I didn't know I needed WinRAR to open up the file to a flashable file. it was a bit difficult to get working sooner or later we where in it is just a plane raspian buster so you could be a hotspot and do something else if you wanted, I liked that. its a bit difficult to navigate at first but it's still in beta so there is bound to be errors. I say it works well but wasn't able to access websites on my phone but got it working after some tinkering with it. I think this project could become something useful for a portable thing to use with friends or family or for people without the internet. it's a very enjoyable program for anyone willing to give it a shot maybe you could get retro pi on there or a desktop and use it as a family computer. I suppose to wrap up everything go for it headfirst and may come out with something brand new https://os.toki.com/.

• Re: Toki OS my take at it
          shabaz

Hi Jordan,

How did you confirm the OS image did not have any malware on it? It might not have exhibited itself so far, but could exhibit itself under command or at a later date.

Isn't there a high risk taking an image from someone and just installing it?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              balearicdynamics

Shabaz IMHO we are on the border of spamming. Anyway, the song remain the same.

We are in no way doing any kind of spam.

I wish you tried and checked the product.
                  Four members signed up. 2 of them tried and presented their views.
                  We did the second phase of development based on the fact that stickiness needed to be worked upon.What do I do that'll make you believe that we are not spamming.
                  Pls shoot more questions @enrico.

I wish to clarify as much as possible

shabaz

Only someone with limited understanding of infosec would download this and assume it is safe. Show how you've established it is a malware-free download. What third party reports do you have, and does your firm have any third party compliance certification?

If not, do the right thing and remove the download until you can demonstrate this.

There's a difference between sharing open source which anyone can inspect and build for themselves, and sharing an OS image. It's tiresome repeating this again, please do your job properly, and try to understand it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    akamadman203

I did a pre-check on this with this by running it through some stuff like Malwarebytes and it came up with nothing altho a few errors I had on the program that did look suspicious I looked into was nothing but boot bugs

akamadman203

Another thing i need to note i didnt download it from the person i got it from their website

Problemchild

Shabaz I took a look and it's apparently another Linux distro good/bad who knows, it promises that you can run games in a browser(you can do that anyway ) and you could run a hotspot. No particular other killer features seem to be mentioned and other promises  are not clickable so are unexplained and undescribed/founded.

Not sure what the benefits to me are other than novelty  ?

I wont be bothering unfortunately

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                            balearicdynamics

From a technical point of view (I have not looked at this distro) I can also agree with you. But what I and shabaz raised as risk and issue has a couple of fundamental ethic implicationç If you want to make a Linux distro for yourself you can do what you want. But if you face the worldwide community you should respect the principles and guidelines that rule the Linux distribution approach. Anyway.

Enrico

shabaz

Totally agree!

Also, when me and balearicdynamics suggested our concerns to them, we just get a "thank you for your comments" response from Toki world .. Looking further the rabbit-hole was not pretty, even when looking where and how the OS was hosted! It's a .rar file, with no checksum, on a site with no contact name, street address or phone number or company registration number, dozens of typo's on the site, and so it's a fair conclusion they have no procedures, let alone (third party) certified ones! It's a complete built linux image, not some source code on github for people to download and build, so the risk is super-high.

I know you know it, but for anyone else considering downloading it, anyone there could have sneaked in a few one-liners into config files to give total control to them or a third party, and then free access into the user's home network. Literally two lines of (valid but malicious) config is sufficient in Linux as you know (maybe even one line), and it would be undetectable to any scanning sites/software.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  balearicdynamics

More than correct. Now, thinking again on the potential issue and trying to be super-optimistic, super- friendly, and super-trustee to the guys, with all their good intentions they may have a silly mistake exposing the whole system to any kind of risk. Then another aspect makes me more than suspicious, shabaz the fact that they continue hiding the content and the process they followed instead of setting open source as it MUST BE a Linux Os. I am not sure and not idea for now what I should contact but just as they mention the word Linux associated with this kind of behavior, site, content, and what all you have already investigated, they are violating the laws. So, before discussing of politics and ethics I think that they should be at least banned and blocked by the same Linux.org for copyright violation and a plethora of other out-of-law stuff.

Enrico

Fred27

It looks like humanity will just have to remain unempowered for a bit longer.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                floydianslips

If you are looking for an open source project which utilizes offline techniques I would recommend Internet in a Box (https://github.com/iiab/iiab). It is in constant development and is deployed in many countries around the world. IIAB is used mainly in remote areas of developing countries without access to internet and provides a customizable group of apps to be used offline. The development community is relatively small but welcoming if anyone is interested in contributing.

I personally have installed 3 Internet in a Box servers in rural schools in Myanmar using Raspberry Pi 3's and would be happy to answer any questions about it.