2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2020 3:27 PM by Philippos Papaphilippou

Maaxboard overheating/ sensitive to ESD?

Philippos Papaphilippou

Hello, I have received the board for Roadtest and it is a nice little computer, However, has anyone noticed it being sensitive to Electrostatic discharge? I once touched it while running and the USB ports cut the power off and the display showed a strange pattern on the screen. It could be a coincidence, as there are other concerns as well, such as overheating. It idles at 70 C. Do I have to make any adjustments to the heatsink first? (peel any thermal pad film?)  

UPDATE: I took new measurements and it idles at 57-60 C, so something must have been running in the background before. The ESD issue hasn't happened again. It must be rare. Still, having a small fan is recommended (or Joshua Foster's workaround etc.), just like with other new well-performing SBCs such as RPi4 . 

Message was edited by: Philippos Papaphilippou

• Re: Maaxboard overheating/ sensitive to ESD?
          jafoste4

Hi,

I haven't experienced ESD issues thus far. Is it replicable?

In regards to the thermal concerns, yes the board gets quite hot when in use. In particular I personally notice a quite a bit of heat when running an HDMI display. I'd reccomend if possible to add some rubber standoffs to the bottom of your board to provide some air gap under neath the board. This seems to help quite a bit. In regards to a thermal pad film. I don't recall. Was the heatsink pre installed when you received your MaaXBoard? If you installed it yourself i'd probably verify there isn't a film you missed. If it was installed by factory it should be good.

Thx,

Josh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Maaxboard overheating/ sensitive to ESD?
              Philippos Papaphilippou

Thanks,

> I haven't experienced ESD issues thus far. Is it replicable?

I hasn't happened since. I am not sure if it is replicable (e.g. if I started zapping it on purpose).

However, without the fan, it crashed twice unde ordinary workload (trying to install 0.5GB worth of new software through apt-get). (crash confirmed by the hearbeat led stop flashing).

I will monitor the temperature ranges better and see. The crashes could relate to the sd card (also being close to the heat source)

> Was the heatsink pre installed when you received your MaaXBoard?

Yes, I now removed the screws and it remains firmly attatched, so it must be correctly installed.