4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2020 4:13 AM by Milos Rasic

Ender 3 Pro

Milos Rasic

I finally bought a 3D printer, I got an Ender 3 Pro! The price was really good, I like the construction and the upgradeability. I plan on playing around with it and upgrading it, the thing like the cooling duct, tool trays, filament guides, I also plan on using one of the Raspberries I have laying around for OctoPrint. I haven't gotten yet to assembling it, so I just wanna know, are there any little things or hints I should be aware of, for the assembly, and generally for the use of the printer. I am also interested in any upgrade ideas for it, if anyone has any experience with it. I heard it would be good to replace the PTFE tube with a higher quality one.

• Re: Ender 3 Pro
          rstone

I think I got my Ender 3 Pro about a week before you. How are you liking yours? I've done a lot of messing about with mine, and feel I can generally get good prints, but it has taken some tinkering around. I think some of my "improvements" took me in the wrong direction. What slicer program are you using? I went with Cura, there are tons of settings to play with and figure out. Youtube has helped.

Rick

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              Milos Rasic

I'm loving the Ender 3 Pro, before getting it, I was prepared for hours and hours of tuning to get anything look anywhere close to decent, but it all went really smoothly, I mostly followed youtube videos from Makers Muse, Teaching Tech and watched some Filament Friday videos. As for the slicer I went with Cura, it's free, and at least for now, works great for me, I'm just starting to explore it and add plug-ins and stuff like that. I haven't set up OctoPrint yet, as for the other upgrades, one I really recommend is the filament guide, I used one that I found on Thingiverse, but designed my own adjustable one with bearings later.

I am currently printing a drag chain for the X gantry, and will do one for the bed as well and after that I will do the screen cover. I'm still playing around with the printer and doing some small upgrades, it's in my bedroom so I'm currently only printing with PLA but my plan is when I have it all set up so I can remotely monitor it, to make an enclosure for it and put into my garage, so I can print other stuff like PET-G and so on. Also as time goes on, I will probably be switching to an all metal hot end and upgrade the PTFE tube. Here are some of the prints I've done, some are from Thingiverse, some I designed myself, like the car suspension and the screwdrivers:

This is something I wanted to a long time, to convert my gas powered RC car to an electric, I printed out new wheels as well as motor mounts and some other components, it turned out pretty good.

This is just a screwdriver handle with few magnets on the inside to hold the metal part, I put a screw on cap on it to keep all of the things inside, I love love this thing.

One thing I also love a lot is the vase mode or in Cura, spiral contour for printing vases and planters. I printed out some for my mom and grandma, they love them!

I love the printer, it really opens up another world of possibilities for me when it comes to making stuff. How do you like yours for now? Also, have you tried any other materials except PLA, or PLA that glows in the dark, wood PLA? I'm curious to try out some new materials, and am also looking at options to upgrade it to a direct drive so I can print flexible materials.

Milos

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  rstone

Wow!

You have really been busy! Nice work on the r/c car parts.

I've only used PLA so far, and probably will until I can get the printer moved to my art studio. It's in my family room right now. I'm also planning on setting up Octo-print and maybe add the direct-drive. I installed the upgraded blue PTFE bowden tube, but went back to the original and just upgraded the fittings. The blue tubes tolerances were super tight and caused some binding problems for me.

I've just mainly printed add-ons for the printer and some knick-knack type things, but I'm ready to try some bigger prints. I'm really liking the vases you did.I have some rainbow filament I bought to print for my daughter that might look cool.

Rick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Milos Rasic

Thanks, the RC car is a work in progress, with a lot more plans! You got any direct extruders in mind? I'm planning on getting a dual gear bowden extruder, found it pretty cheap, I saw some people have been printing flexibles with it. Thanks for telling me about the PTFE tube, that's one of the things I was planning to do, but I didn't know it can cause issues like that. Vases with rainbow filament sound like they will look really really good!

Milos