2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2020 1:48 AM by yuricts

What did you use OnShape for? Any special designs you created and want to share?

yuricts

Hello everyone,

Is anyone here enjoying OnShape just as much as I am? ;-)

https://www.onshape.com/

I just started using it and I must say I'm quite fond of it...

This is a replacement part for a bread slicing machine:

Replacement part for bread slicing machine

The part broke a while ago, now the machine is happily working again!

The software runs in a browser, you can create sketches with dimensions and extrude parts of the sketch.

Afterwards you can easily change dimensions.

I printed the part in ASA (engineering grade filament) with a Prusa MK3.

What did you use OnShape for? Any special designs you created and want to share?

Kind regards,

Yuri

• Re: What did you use OnShape for? Any special designs you created and want to share?
          balearicdynamics

Yuri,

I know of the existence of OnShape but, frankly, I never tested it. I started proficiently using Fusion360 but now I just opened the home page. It seems very interesting. Unfortunately, I have no time at this moment for an in-depth check of this application but it sounds very promising. I should do a try to it. Is there a community free version? Do you have some comparison information with respect to other 3D CAD for 3D printing? I appreciate if you can write down some more key information on how it is used. Maybe worth I try to use this for the next stuff I should make next days.

Thank you. Enrico

• Re: What did you use OnShape for? Any special designs you created and want to share?
              yuricts

Hi Enrico,

Well, I think if you are already using Fusion360 and 'got the hang of it' that you can better stick to that...

The two packages are similar, but OnShape's learning is less steep.

Some features I like about OnShape:

- completely no installation required, works in browser on the most common platforms (Linux/Max/Win/Android/...)

- has version control

- easy collaboration with other people on a model

- easier learning curve than Fusion360

- export to stl is integrated

From their website:

"Onshape proudly supports the maker community with professional-grade CAD, available free for non-commercial projects in an open-source public work space."

Your models have to be open source, available to everyone that means...

A commercial license is apparently more expensive than a Fusion360 license (?), since I am in the maker/educational world I never really compared these...

I see it more as a step-up cad package for those that are struggling with Fusion360. Fusion360 has a lot more nice features (are you using the electronic engineering features of Fusion360?)

If you're just going to create some models of which you would like to easily change parameters and are not in sync with Fusion360's way of working (yet), try OnShape first.

And yeah, Fusion360 does not run on Linux :-(

Unless you are fond of running it in a virtual machine... but that's cheating ;-)

This can be a nice read:

https://www.scan2cad.com/cad/onshape-vs-fusion-360/

Kind regards,

Yuri