4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2020 5:10 PM by fyaocn

Seeking Roadtester Applicants for a 3-Phase Circuit Breaker with A High Level of Functionality

rscasny

Greetings to all!

I hope everyone is safe and comfortable in these times. If I haven't communicated with you recently, I'll say I (like many others) am working from home. After the initial adjustment, things now are running pretty much the way they were. I will be launching more roadtests in the coming weeks.

Today, I wanted to discuss with you about an opportunity I have for the RoadTest Program.

I have a supplier who would like a 3-Phase Circuit Breaker roadtested. Now, this isn't your typical thermo-magnetic, molded-case circuit breaker. It possesses an add-on module that gives it a lot of functionality and the ability to monitor circuit breaker health, as well as the ability to send to to the Internet (if configured for that capability).

Here's the information page on the breaker:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/electrical-circuit-protection/power-defense-molded-case-circuit-breakers.html

When the add-on module (call a trip unit) is attached it has a lot of functionality.

So, to the roadtest....

This is a 3-phase breaker. I believe the product line is rated between 15A and 250A, and up to 600VAC.  Needless to say, it's used primarily for 3-phase inductor motors, in factories, industrial facilities, some labs, etc.

What would be nice for a roadtest is to compare this breaker to a standard thermo-mag, molded case breaker. The roadtest is really the functionality added by the trip unit.

the other issue is what frame size to use. Perhaps different roadtesters would need different frame sizes.....

Clearly, this requires a particular kind of roadtester.

If you feel you are interested and fit my requirements, please leave a comment or message me at rscasny

• Re: Seeking Roadtester Applicants for a 3-Phase Circuit Breaker with A High Level of Functionality
          lui_gough

That's an interesting device - but it's a shame that I don't quite have the chops to give it a go.

But when I saw this - the first person I thought of was three-phase - perhaps this might be up your alley?

- Gough

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Roadtester Applicants for a 3-Phase Circuit Breaker with A High Level of Functionality
            rsc

I have an Eaton Cutler Hammer WMS3D32 415V 32AMP

It's small frame DIN rail mounted, I could switch out, that runs a 25HP pump motor.

There's not a lot of room for extra "stuff" though

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              three-phase

Thanks for the heads up lui_gough.........

I can certainly test and inspect three phase breakers and compare them to other models. Eaton are not widely used in my industry sector in the UK, so it would likely be compared to another manufacturer. I doubt I would be able to install one in an in-service panel due to type approval issues. I have a couple of old panels around that I could use to demonstrate the mechanical aspects of a retrofit.

Frame size is an interesting question. These do not look to be standard breakers. The PDG1 frame is the smallest and is 5.5 inches tall. A standard miniature circuit breaker will be 3.5 inches tall, so they will not swap out in standard three phase distribution boards in the UK. The PDG1 also looks to have limited functionality, so if it is that aspect that is of more interest, then you are looking at least at a PDG2 frame or a PDG3 frame to get full functionality. These are 6 inches and 10.1 inches high respectively.

I was going to build up board with a three phase inverter for testing the Megger MTR105. I could use one for that, but it will be low amperage and a PDG2 or PDG3 frame would not provide the required electrical protection, but it would demonstrate the trip unit functionality. I do have three phase injection test sets, so a 60A three phase test is easy enough for me.

The old panel at work is a 500kVA unit, so probably looking at a PDG3 or PDG4 frame for that. I would need to verify before making any decisions if you wanted to go down that route. It is also an interlocked panel, so has a front handle mount to consider.

From my personal perspective, the PDG3 frame and above have an arc flash protection system option. I have a long established interest in arc protection and have installed and tested a number of systems in the UK. So I could look at that and see how the range could improve protection on a plant and look to demonstrate the tripping functionality in comparison to other relays, such as Micom that I have installed with a maintenance arc reduction facility before.

Looking at the units some more, it would appear that the trip unit is battery powered for backup. If that battery power provides full functionality of the trip unit, it may be possible to test the functionality of the unit without a three phase supply if someone was interested in the RoadTest, but does not have access to three phase power. Perhaps the manufacturer could confirm?

rscasny I am happy to help out along the above lines, if you decide to go down the RoadTest route, but am also happy to step aside and let others look at the breaker if you have more than enough interest.

Kind regards.

fyaocn

This 3 phase circuit breaker falls into my comfort zone.

Quite occupied recently,  but I can reserve time to make it and even test it in real heavy loads.

If requested by vendor, I can open up one series blogs on 110V to 10kV equipment in 60 days.

1 of 1 people found this helpful