4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2020 5:06 AM by Autodesk Guest

    CAM process hanging on"printing aperture D10"

    dandeurloo

      I am trying to print my first 4 layer PCB.  I am trying to run a CAM process for printing my Gerbers.  The CAM process keeps hanging up on a screen that says "printing aperture D10".  Do these "printing aperture D's" typically take a long time to process?



      Any ideas what might be the issue and how I can get these Gerbers created?


      I am using EagleCAD 7.7

       

      Thanks.

        • Re: CAM process hanging on"printing aperture D10"
          Autodesk Guest

          On 14.05.2020 04:08, Dan Deurloo wrote:

          I am trying to print my first 4 layer PCB.  I am trying to run a CAM process for printing my Gerbers.  The CAM process keeps hanging up on a screen that says "printing aperture D10".  Do these "printing aperture D's" typically take a long time to process?

           

          Unless you provide the gerber code describing aperture D10 it will be

          hard to tell, but I suspect you may have used very thin wire for

          polygons, wich will become a very large file and take a lot of time to

          create.

           

            • Re: CAM process hanging on"printing aperture D10"
              dandeurloo

              Yes, this was it!  Thank you.  Is there a preferred size of wire for creating polygons?

                • Re: CAM process hanging on"printing aperture D10"
                  Autodesk Guest

                  On 14/05/2020 17:39, Dan Deurloo wrote:

                    Is there a preferred size of wire for creating polygons?

                  Not a single value. The width parameter controls the narrowest fill you

                  can achieve, and thus the smallest gap it can flood through. It also

                  controls the width of the bridges across "thermal" isolation on PTH

                  pads. Generally, you should go for the widest that doesn't cause you any

                  problems with flood fill. That said, the corners are rounded to the

                  width setting, too, so making it too wide "blurs" the shape.

                   

                  • Re: CAM process hanging on"printing aperture D10"
                    Autodesk Guest

                    On 14.05.2020 18:39, Dan Deurloo wrote:

                    Yes, this was it!  Thank you.  Is there a preferred size of wire for creating polygons?

                     

                    As Rob says..

                    Remember the wire width requirement originates from the time when the

                    fill actually happened with a round pen/aperture, and this is why inner

                    and outer corner sharpness is limited to this pen diameter. If this pen

                    is very thin (or 0, wich is converter to very very very thin in eagle),

                    imagine the time it will take to fill it.

                    Today's modern transfer tech does not have this limitation as the are

                    very fine pitch pixel based. But modern tools support support converting

                    the old stuff. I have been missing "flash" mode fills on Eagle for a

                    long time. It would also make screen drawing a lot faster, wich you will

                    notice when working with larger pcb's.