3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2020 7:37 PM by mgonc22

Microzed mini usb port broken

mgonc22

Hi,

Unfortunately, I snapped off the mini usb port on my Microzed board.  In an effort to use the board again I purchased a MicroZed Breakout Carrier Card (AES-MBCC-BRK-G) and an external 6-pin  PMOD USBUART device.  I created a new helloworld project, disabling the uart1 and enabling uart0.  I selected MIO pins 10 and 11, for the rx, tx. Unfortunately, when I run the project I observe no outputs.  As a sanity check, am I missing something here?  Has anyone had luck using PMOD USB UART for uart0 on a Microzed board?

Thanks

• Re: Microzed mini usb port broken
          narrucmot

I believe the UART setting may still be incorrect in your software settings.  Unfortunately when you change the system UART from UART1 to UART0 in the Zynq PS configuration, this change does not also propogate through to the software settings in the SDK.  In the BSP settings for your 'hello_world' software project in the Xilinx SDK you will need to change the UART from ps7_uart_1 to ps7_uart_0 for stdin and stdout.  For Vitis 2019.2 (was called the SDK in previous tools versions), the BSP settings look like this:

--Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mgonc22

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, the Board Support Package Settings in Xilinx SDK does indicate ps7_uart_0 for stdin and stdout.  I was wondering whether the rx and tx are inverted? The MIO pin 10 maps to rx and  MIO pin 11 maps to tx.  Is there a possiblity that these 2 are mislabled? 

mgonc22

Update, in Vivado, for the Microzed board, MIO 10 is indicated as rx and MIO 11 is indicated for tx for uart 0,  I swapped these 2 connections using a breadboard wired to the Microzed's PSMOD connector and it worked - I can see the output of my program in the SDK window.  Not sure whether the PMOD USBUART is indicating the RX TX pins incorrectly or whether Vivado identifies the pins incorrectly.