4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2020 2:21 PM by dirdled

Problems with my Pi4

dirdled

Hi, I got a pi4 a few months back. I've had a few issues with it, and wondering if there's something obvious that I'm missing, or if I just got a lemon. There are 2 fairly major issues (to me) that I've found. The first one: I found my 1-wire interface doesn't work on the default pin, I moved to an alternate pin and it works fine. Something I noticed is that if I connect an LED to the default 1-wire pin (4) and I set the pin to off, the LED still glows dimly. The second issue: I just bought a USB SSD drive, if I try to boot from one of the USB 3 ports, it doesn't work. using one of the USB 2 ports works fine, and it's relatively fast. So what's the verdict... Did I get a bad one, or if I get another one will I have similar issues?

• Re: Problems with my Pi4
          aswinvenu

Hi Dan,

USB Mass-storage boot is in beta stage. So you may face some glitches. Can't really conclude that you got a lemon.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

About the One wire communication. The documentation says the default pin is pin number 7 (GPIO4).

On which other pin you got it working? Did you add the overlay in the boot/config.txt?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              dirdled

Hi Aswin,

Thanks for your interest. For the SSD Drive...Since it works with the USB 2 ports I'm not sure if any of the known issues apply. It delves into the range of things I don't really understand, but I'm good at following instructions.  For the 1-wire yes I have added ",gpiopin=17" the default "dtoverlay=w1-gpio" line in the /boot/config.txt file. I was trying to get readings from a ds18b20 when it didn't work I tried a bunch of different things, what I noticed is that changing nothing but the datapin got it to work. That tells me that it's got to be something with the Pi or possibly the cobbler that I'm using, I did change out the cobbler with no difference in results.

rosylinda

Aswin, you provided right and correct information on Pi4. Before some days later I faced the same problem and followed that instruction from official link - www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md