10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2020 7:44 AM by shabaz

ESD

rajkiransingh

Hi ,

I have developed a robotic modle in that I am facing couple of problems one is with ESD.

The robotic car consists of 4 drive wheels. When it moves for some distance after that when I touch that robot it gives shock. I think it should be electrostatic.

Can you help how to over come this.

• Re: ESD
          DAB

If it is just electrostatic build up, just run a ground wire off the vehicle so that it can discharge the surface when it stops. Some wire and a metal washer or nut on the end would do it.

I would carefully check your electrical connections, you might have a ground loop issue somewhere.

DAB

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              rajkiransingh

Thank you for the inputs. As I told this is a robotic modle which is like mopping the surface with cloth everytime and it will be continuously moving in different directions so how to ground that.

And grounding has to be provided from electronic devices or the chassi of the bot.

shabaz

Same solution as a vehicle ground strap surely? You've probably got some friction going on.. rubber tyres or plastic shafts or gears.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                aswinvenu

From where exactly you are getting the shock? Is it from the tyres, or from the motor or the chases?

Ground the chase properly.

jw0752

I had the same trouble in my lab only it was my office chair with the wheels that picked up the charge. I would roll across the floor and get a shock from the chassis of a piece of equipment. This was not a good situation in an electronics shop. I now have a small piece of chain than hangs down from the metal of the chair and drags on the floor, problem solved.

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    jw0752

If you can't find a way to install a ground you could try an air discharge. You do this by having a lot of very sharp points. If you have some very fine stranded wire you can strip off the insulation and splay out the strands. Mount several of these with the other end of the wire tied to the metal chassis. The charge should accumulate at the ends of the wire and discharge into the air at a lower potential than you are currently experiencing. This is the same principal as the lightening rod.

John

rajkiransingh

Thank you John, I will try this.

Meanwhile i would like to know is there any electronic device available so that i can use that.

shabaz

Hi Rajkiran,

Regarding

"mopping the surface with cloth everytime"

This can generate large amounts of charge, the solution by John above (many fine wire strands) is precisely what you need. That is the electric device you need (wire). It doesn't have to touch the surface.