15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2020 9:23 AM by rscasny

I Have 6 Connector Kits Giveaway. Tell Me What You Think of SKEDD Direct Plug-in Technology

rscasny

Back in mid-May, I ran a short blog on Phoenix Contact's SKEDD Connectors. At the time, I thought they were interesting. The connectors employ SKEDD technology which is a means mounting PCB connectors directly to a PCB via through-contacted bore holes. After I posted the story, one of our top members, shabaz, commented to me that he saw they were interesting as well; he had seen them at an Embedded World. Well, I mentioned this to my boss who asked the supplier for some connector kits. A little while I received them and had my colleague, danzima  take a photo of one.

I received 6 connectors kits last week. And now I have to decide on what I should do with them. There are any number of ways these kits could be used. I feel the best way is to have members examine the connectors in the kit, and experiment with them, as they see fit.

A Little About the SKEDD Connectors

I think part of the challenge is that the kit is only part of a larger system. But interconnects are an important component of a piece of hardware. This interconnect system is unique. These combine direct plug-in technology to the PCB with push-in spring termination and tool-free installation. The contact zone is made up of two flexible halves that bend easily, enabling the contacts to easily adjust to plated-through holes on a printed circuit board. Upon insertion, the contact has sufficient force to establish a gas-tight connection with no special requirements for the PCB.

So I'm looking for some members who want to play around with these wire-to-board connectors and write a blog in this group to tell about your experience. You might have to get a little creative to experiment with them. But that's part of the fun!

What you have to do to get a SKEDD connector kit for FREE

Tell me why you'd like on of these kits, what you would do with them, or how someone could use them. Maybe you want to compare the connectors in this kit with out wire-to-board connectors. Maybe you want to experiment with connectivity and durability. Go for it! Just tell me what you want to do in the COMMENTS section below. I'll contact you when I decide on who gets the kits.

• Re: I Have 6 Connector Kits Giveaway. Tell Me What You Think of SKEDD Direct Plug-in Technology
          shabaz

Nice kit!

I'd like one (or two : ) if possible, I can add a SKEDD footprint on my next PCB and write a blog. It's quite an efficient use of parts, reducing BoM and board production costs, since one can re-use the entire connector a certain number of times!

• Re: I Have 6 Connector Kits Giveaway. Tell Me What You Think of SKEDD Direct Plug-in Technology
            Fred27

I've read the white paper but I'm still not entirely sure what their use case is. Is the connector supposed to be temporary? I'm not sure of the benefit of being able to remove it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                shabaz

Hi Fred,

From what I can tell, the removability is just a possible secondary benefit. The primary benefit of the push-fit connector is that there's no need for having to put the board through manual soldering or wave soldering.

There may be reliability benefits too, but I don't know about those. I do recall seeing that normal 0.1" headers once were available in press-fit pin options (they came pressed through tape), and a production machine would push them into the board. Some military hardware used them. But I also saw normal 0.1" soldered headers used too. This was during wave-soldering time (even for SMT), maybe it was difficult to reliably wave-solder pins at the same time as the SMT. I'm speculating heavily though : ( Processes change, maybe it's all just as reliable now.

However, the ability to remove it could have some secondary applications.. thinking of boards like control panels which come with dozens of connections, but not all are used. Not having to fit so many screw or other plug-on terminals which don't get used. Also, the bare wire and the ferrule crimps are low-cost, so it might work out cheaper to use this all-in-one connector rather than a separate plug and socket and connector crimp tool, for scenarios where the wiring may need to change very infrequently.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    bradlez

The immediate benefit I can see with this is it provides great efficiency for production lines that require the PCB to go into the reflow oven (like for SMD solder paste). I wouldn't dare to put plastic headers into a reflow oven, not sure if there is plastic that can withstand such temperatures. Then afterwards, you just insert the SKEDD onto your board and whatever happens next in the production line (maybe test it, put it in some moulded case and sell it). This completely avoids as shabaz describes the need for manual soldering and wave soldering.

But for hobbyists, researchers and students, this product just doesn't do it for me. I was thinking about using it as a connector keeping the wires in so if you had a design that required many different PCBs to connect to it but the center board was prone to fail, it would be easier trying to connect everything back than figuring out which wire goes where. However the fact it can only be placed and removed for only 25 times is unfortunate. So it seems pretty niche to me and only people who intend to make industrial production PCBs would find great use with it. It's probably better for product repairability overall too since if the connector for some bizarre reason fails, really easy to replace it and no soldering hassle required. Or if the board fails you can salvage it, but then you have 24 times left. I have an obsession with durable products.

Bradlez

rsc

I could see using such a connector as a diagnostic or programming port.  Might keep the end user from plugging in where not wanted.

Scott

karthickiot

As a hardware design Engineer and hobbyist I used to design circuits to interface the electronic components to MCUs for innovation projects in households, industries, medical etc. In the process of designing circuits we use soldering tools to connect the components to MCUs with extra PCB or header pins some of the example are shown in the below figures. It will be clumsy when connecting wires are soldered to the header pins, sometimes the on-board components may get damage due to accidental contacts during soldering process as shown in the below figure.

In many situation I experienced that it was difficult to interface the appliances to the screw terminal and header pins it takes time to fit them in a specific point to screw and unscrew, to solder and re-solder. sometimes mismatching of connections occur again we need to open them and replace to exact ports. In the below figure shows the Fritzing schematic of the Bulb interface to Arduino UNO via Relay, the connections in this circuit were made via header pins and appliance with screw terminals when we want our project prototype effective we need a simple plug connectors with more suitable contacts.

In my recent "Home IoT system for smart appliances control" project I used NodeMCU, Relays and Blynk app. The appliances are connected to relays via screw terminals and the relays are interfaced to NodeMCU via male and female header pins. It was difficult to choose different category header pin connecting cable to interface MCU and components. It was clumsy to interface the appliances and a side of the box was kept open to connect or replace the appliances connections.

If the connectors were like SKEDD technology to plug, it will be easy to replace the appliances which we need to connect. Their are many other methods of connection which are listed below

• Plug and socket connectors
                    • Jacks and plugs
                    • Crimp-on connectors
                    • Soldered connectors
                    • Insulation-displacement connectors
                    • Binding posts
                    • Screw terminals
                    • Ring and spade connectors
                    • Blade connectors
                    • Crocodile (alligator)
                    • Board to board connectors
                    • Twist-on wire connectors
                    • Wire wrapping

As SKEDD technology enables direct connection to the PCB via through-contacted bore holes, without the need for tools or an additional header. The elimination of the header, soldering process reduces component and process costs for the user. Wires can be terminated to the connector with the popular push-in spring connection. Solid and stranded wires with a ferrule can be pushed directly into the terminal block without opening the spring clamp. To remove the wires, the user simply presses the orange spring lever with a standard screwdriver. The products that power, protect, connect and automate systems and equipment for a wide range of industries. All the features drawn my attention to use them in my feature projects before implementing to to the end products I would like to test their performance and in different application purposes.

After going through this present blog I felt the Phoenix Contact's SKEDD Connectors will be helpful in my next design, before implementing them in my prototype that I would like to test their performance and easy to fit function through this giveaway and complete the blog writing about the importance and use case of the connectors.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                      redcharly

I probably have a pessimistic view of things (I firmly believe in Murphy's Laws ), but I think that using a connector that does not use soldering multiple times and on multiple different boards, ultimately leads to both electrical and mechanical problems. The friction and the inevitable torsional forces that are applied to the connectors during insertion or disconnection in the printed circuit could have negative effects on the reliability of the electrical contacts, especially if the boards that mount these connectors were to be found in industrial environments in presence of vibrations.

I'd like to try these connectors by simulating a hostile environment (vibrating platform) and checking how they behave when they are crossed by analog signals.

Question: is the printed circuit shown in the photo made only for insertion-disconnection tests or there are soldered connectors from which to take the signals coming from the SKEDD ??

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        sumedh

Hope the give away is still on.

I have designed a datalogger-telemetry system for an Formula Student team. We will start prototyping when our college reopens, these connectors will be very helpful in that. In the DAS sensors are sometimes used and sometimes not thus soldering and desoldering them will be very inconvenient and individual connectors for each sensor will take a lot of space. I would like to have 2 kits but 1 is also appreciated.

Thanks!

moi8765

Hi all,

rscasny By chance, do you still have a kit left. I am currently working on a robotics project that targets the Covid outbreak. I am working with a hospital to build an autonomous robot capable of traversing in a Covid ward, cleaning it and maintaining cooling and lighting systems and delivering essentials like food and medicines to patients. The bot is also capable of establishing two way audio communication over WiFi and controls all lighting equipment over the same Wifi network. The bot will interact with modules mounted on patient beds that send data over to the cloud for doctors to remotely analyse the data and take decisions. The module would also act as a beacon to call the bot to the bedside for some essential like food or water or if some message has to be sent to medical staff.

The problem lies with the next part of the project. I was planning to log patient data from monitoring devices on the bedside like a ventilator or an ECG for the module to check if they are working fine and send a notification to medical staff over a webapp in case a device has malfunctioned or patient health has deteriorated. The problem what I found during my tour of the hospital is that there are n number of biomedical devices with varying connector configuration. To design separate receiving modules for each bed is not at all practical. Currently, I am using wire to board connectors from Molex and assembling and testing are taking up quite a lot of time. Therefore, I believe these Skedd connectors can greatly help simplify my design, help save on board space and reduce prototyping time so that I can provide the hospital with a practical solution and scale this product.

I am only trying to help the hospital fight this pandemic. I hope you would help me realise this noble deed.

Thanks a lot!!

rscasny

I have one more kit left. I you would be interested in getting this connector kit and writing a blog about it, let me know.

Randall

swathic

Dear Sir,

I am interested to receive the kit to test the performance of the connector kit and willing to write a blog on my experience with the connectors.

Connectors are the important linking components to the MCU and actuators or sensors. They help in coupling of different hardware and communicating data to master and salve kits. For a hardware design Engineer this kind of components are very important to select and pair easily. When designing a new prototype the selection of SKEED direct plug-in technology connectors help to test the system connections faster and replace for the exact port. The giveaway sample help to compare the performance with screw terminals connectors.

For students this kind of connectors help to design prototype and is easy to carry to exhibit. SKEED connectors will be screwless terminal help students to disconnect the robotic parts hardware easily.

Through this giveaway I would like to test the usecase of connectors in my future project to interface the MCU and actuators.