3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2020 4:07 AM by gpolder

Any use for older model Raspberry Pi(s)?

rsc

I have a few Raspberry Pi 1 and 2 Model B V1.1.  I will trade them for other interesting stuff.

Other dev boards available:

-Odroid with display and battery

-Beaglebone Black

-Microchip multimedia board

-Hexiwear boards

-Edison "stuff"

Too many projects.....too little time....

• Re: Any use for older model Raspberry Pi(s)?
          socalsteve

I’ll second the “what can I use it for” question. I’ve also got a couple older ones including a model B from the first run 7 years ago. I may keep that for posterity. I’ve thought about donating them since any computer beats no computer to those without.

Vimarsh ‍

Just run Pi-Hole on an Old Raspberry Pi board to block internet ADs in your entire network

or

Make a NAS (though it will be slower than Pi4)

or

A data logging platform (use influxDB, Grafana, Nodered, Mosquitto MQTT) - you can also port forward your board to access all of it over the internet

or

A web server

These were some uses I came up with because I used my old boards for this.

Another Idea-

Just make a Home media center to stream content (you can install Android also - i guess) or some OS on the board and connect it to your TV. No need to buy Chromecast ot anything. [I have never tried it though]

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              gpolder

I'm running a home automation system on a Pi 2. Good thing of the older Pi's is hat they are much less power hungry than the 3 and 4 and also disipate less heat, which is good for a system that is always on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful