9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2020 9:09 PM by btetz14

minized doesn't detect usb 2019.1

miamedra1

Hi there,

I'm new to petalinux.  I'm using petalinux 2019.1 and am following the Avnet Petalinux Lab2.  I'm stuck on step 10 of AvnetTTC_Minized_Petalinux_lab2_2019p1_v1.pdf- where it asks me to mount /dev/sda*.  I'm finding that there are no sda* in /dev/ and fdisk -l just returns info on /dev/mmcblk1p1. 

I've made sure to plug both usb ports into the laptop to address the power issue.   I've checked that the thumb drive is FAT32.  Also, I'm using the prebuilt boot.bin and zynq_fsbl.elf files provided by Avnet.  Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks!

• Re: minized doesn't detect usb 2019.1
          drozwood90

Hi there,

I'm not sure what you mean by plug both ports into the laptop for the power issue.

Can you try to explain that different?

As far as I know, you should have 1 type A connector with the thumb drive, and then 1 micro with a micro to A cable plugged into a power source.  Typically we suggest to developers to use a wall adapter, but in some cases for a low power draw device, you can use a laptop (such as described in the TTC).

The power should be on J6, the connector labeled AUX POWER farthest from the large TYPE A connector and closest to the push button.  The other microUSB connector is NOT to be used in this case and might be causing your issues as that is the OTG connector.

--Dan

miamedra1

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response.  Can you explain what you mean by - "the other microUSB is not to be used in this case?"  My setup is as follows:  Connected a micro usb connector between J6 and a wall adapter.  J2 is connected to the laptop for my serial data- the bash terminal to the minized OS.  On J1, I've connected my FAT32 formatted usb stick.

With this setup I get the same result.  I do an fdisk -l   - which returns only /dev/mmcblk1p1.  And ls /dev/| grep sda returns nothing.  So it seems like the minized doesn't even detect the usb stick.

Best,

Mike

drozwood90

Hi there,

Thank you, that is very helpful.  I was confused as to where you were in the TTC (I know you specified it, but I thought i had it memorized!).  It sounds like you are setup properly.

Are you seeing the terminal?  From your initial post it seems so, but I want to confirm.

if you check with

ls /dev/sd*

What do you see?

For example on my workstation I see:

in this case, I would want to mount the sda1 (on my workstation that is already mounted, but I think you get my point)

--Dan

miamedra1

Hi Dan,

Thanks again for helping.  Yes I'm able to see the terminal.  Attached is a snapshot of it.  The command: ls /dev/sd* returns "No such file or directory".   Any ideas?

Best,

Michael

Terminal pic of ls/dev/sd*

drozwood90

Hi there,

One last question before I need to escalate this, have you tried a different thumb drive?  Just in case for whatever reason it is not compatible with the MiniZed?  I've only seen this once while in Germany.  Once we swapped to another drive, everything was fine.

--Dan

miamedra1

Hi Dan,

Yes I tried another FAT32 formatted usb stick and got the same result- "No such file or directory" after doing an ls /dev/sd*

Best,

Michael

miamedra1

Hi Dan,

I'm able to detect my usb stick now!

I was able to bypass this issue by using the .bin and .fsbl files from Restore QSPI and eMMC Factory Images | Zedboard  in the "Micron QSPI flash" sub-directory.  Something to note:  there may be issues with the prebuilt .bin and .fsbl files from PetaLinux_2019_Student_v1.zip.

Best,

Michael

drozwood90

Hi there,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll poke around the group and see if there is any history of this issue with the student files.  I have not seen anything myself and we certainly painstakingly test every step in ever lab to ensure positive customer experiences (trust me some labs takes me 3-4 days to validate as we run through them meticulously).  Of course, you can't account for everything!

If you have time for an experiment, I'm curious if there was corruption when that got loaded up, maybe try reloading the MiniZed with freshly extracted files.  If that has the same issue, try getting a new copy of the ZIP, then trying to load the files to the MiniZed a second time?  It's a long shot, and can take time.  However, if you are good to go, I won't hold you up, please don't gate your learning on this!

--Dan

btetz14

Hi Dan,

I am seeing the same problem that Michael did on step 10 of Lab 2 as well.  I tried using every combination of boot.bin that I could find or build myself and they all failed to recognize the inserted USB thumb drive.

Zynq_PetaLinux_2019_1_student_v01.zip

boot.bin from the /petalinux/2019_1/support_documents/lab1/prebuilt/ folder

boot.bin created from doing every step in Lab 1 Experiment 3/4, using the Z_system_wrapper.hdf file from Hardware

boot.bin created from doing every step in Lab 1 Experiment 2/3/4, using the minized_sensor_fusion_hw.hdf file from hdl/Projects/minized_sensor_fusion/MINIZED/minized_sensor_fusion.sdk

Zynq_Petalinux_2019_1_Solutions.tar.gz

boot.bin from the /lab1/prebuilt/ folder

The only thing that worked was using the recovery files from the 'Restoring MiniZed to Factory Status_03.zip' file.

My minized can now boot from emmc and the thumb drive is working from within the emmc petalinux image.

Regards,

Brian