3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2020 5:08 AM by BigG

Solar Orbiter

andrewj

It’s pretty impressive and I’m looking forward to some cracking images.  I’m also surprised they can get it so close:

The Sun's emissions have profound impacts at Earth that go far beyond just providing light and warmth.

Often, they are disruptive; outbursts of charged particles with their entrained magnetic fields will trip electronics on satellites and degrade radio communications.

I wonder how many cheeks were sucked by the engineers when the idea was first mooted.  Even after 50-60 years, space research is still exciting (at least to me.)

• Re: Solar Orbiter
          jw0752

Hi Andrew,

Did you get a look at the comet Neowise. It has been visible here in Wisconsin the last couple nights. It was better than I anticipated. I was able to get a picture with the cell phone much to my surprise.

John

andrewj

That's pretty amazing.  It’s been too cloudy here unfortunately but it’s supposed to better this weekend and it’s higher in the sky, in the Great Bear constellation.

BigG

For a moment there I thought you had taken a picture of tarmac with some chalk scrawl.... (sorry couldn't resist). Yes, that's very impressive not only to capture it but to see this comet with your own eyes. I recall seeing the Hale-Bopp comet in 1997 while supporting a friend complete a 125 mile canoe race (DW Canoe Race). It was in the wee hours of the morning, freezing cold and was wondering why I'm standing beside a river, then I looked up and there was the Hale-Bopp comet up in the clear dark sky. It was crystal clear. Magical.

1 of 1 people found this helpful