Follow on Info: Some good news.. I downloaded the pre-built vadd project and I get the same error. The my mistake must be simple..
I compared file sizes and they are all identical. So I was building the project correctly.
Here are my exact steps with the prebuild vadd:
1. I use fdisk to create 2 partitions.. one for 1 gig and bootable - fat, one for 13 gig Linux FS. formatted.
2. I copy the bin and ub onto the bootable
3. I expand the FS onto the 2nd partition
4. I copy u96v2vadd,exe to /home/root so I have it in my home directory (this is ok, right?)
5. I do the same with the .xclbin file.
6. I wait for the card to eject correctly after syncing.
I boot the 96v2 with the SD card. I log in root/root
I "export XILINX_XRT=/usr"
I run the app... and get the error. All final steps can be seen on screen shot.