11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2020 10:21 AM by drozwood90

VCU TRD Application Software

ralphjy

I'm currently doing a roadtest for the UltraZed-EV and I've seen references to application software and libraries that are used to control the VCU in the VCU TRD for the ZCU106.  I can't seem to locate that any of that software (vcu_gst_app, vcu_qt, vcu_gst_lib, etc).  If it would work or if I could modify it to work with the UltraZed-EV it would be very useful.  Is that software available anywhere that I could get it?   I thought it would be better to start in this forum first as someone might have already gone down this path.

Thanks,

Ralph

• Re: VCU TRD Application Software
          ralphjy

Just a quick update.  I think I've found the reference that I was looking for - Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2018.3+-+Run+and+Build+Flow…

I'll have to download the TRD and see if this might work.  If anyone has tried this before, I'd certainly appreciate any input.

Ralph

drozwood90

Hi Ralph,

That is the older 2018.3 version from Xilinx for the ZCU106 as you pointed out.  Avnet's Subject Matter Expert Jason Moss already ported that design over to the UltraZed-EV and you can see that here:

http://avnet.me/AvnetUZEVVCU

That page has a few links of interest including videos of the demo running, links to the source (which has binary downloads to test with).

Once you get over to the Xterra2 server, you will see Jason's efforts.

I also did a webinar on that (although that is likely to not help as much for you, but I'll post for others)

https://www.element14.com/community/events/5474/l/embedded-video-processing-using-the-ultrazed-ev

Lastly, here is a link to the 2019.2 port:

http://avnet.me/uz7ev-vcu-trd-2019-2-rel-repo

I am not sure that the 2019.2 port is complete, but that link will take you to the site!

--Dan

http://avnet.me/uz7ev-vcu-trd-2019-2-rel-repo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  ralphjy

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response.  I’ve been to the links you provided and also did attend your webinar.  All really great stuff.  And I am using the 2019.2 VCU TRD port and have run through the demos.  I was looking specifically for the vcu_gst_app software and the related libraries.  I don’t believe that software is in the ported repository.  If that app works with the UltraZed-EV, it would be very useful to try out some multi-stream configurations.

I was looking at the 2018.3 ZCU106 repo because that seemed to provide the build instructions for that software.  I think the 2019.1 repo might have Petalinux recipes for it.  I’ve downloaded the 2018.3 repo but haven’t had a chance to look at it yet.

Do you know if Jason or anyone else has used the vcu_gst_app with the UltraZed-EV?

-Ralph

drozwood90

Ralph,

Sorry, I missed that those applications were the specific thing you were looking for.

I "assumed" they were all part of the build process, but now that you mention it, I do not recall ever running them in the demos I have run.

I'll reach out and see what I can discover.

--Dan

drozwood90

Hi there,

The engineer that was working on this project was only able to get back to me now (he was out the last few days).

He explained to me that those are more user space applications and generally left to the customer to work with due to the focus of our training materials.

At this time, we have not worked on it, but that he mentioned "the vcu_gst_app source provides a good example for how to use GStreamer from an application, which is what you’d want to do for a product development effort." so he suggested working with it.

--Dan

ralphjy

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that input.  I did end up using PetaLinux to build those apps using the ZCU106-vcu-trd-2019-2.  Looks like things compiled fine and I've gotten the vcu_gst_app to run and the pipeline rolls - just haven't been successful getting an output on the DisplayPort.  I may just not have the configuration file set up correctly.  It seems like all of the Xilinx examples are using HDMI.  I'll need to work on this more when I have time.  It looks like the vcu_qt GUI might be useful in setting up config files but I had a library issue with that app that I need to resolve and I also mainly run using the serial console so I'll have to add a mouse and keyboard.

I did have a question related to HDMI.  I had thought that I might want to put the HDMI IN/OUT back into the design for my project but I saw a comment from the other person doing this roadtest that using the HDMI IP requires a license.  Is that true?  The starter kit did mention a license voucher but there wasn't one enclosed.  I haven't needed a license thus far to build the UltraZed-EV reference designs but I haven't tried HDMI yet.

--Ralph

drozwood90

Ralph,

We used to ship licenses for "Design" Edition as that was the only way to use the 7EV MPSoC.  Once Xilinx moved that SoC into what I would call "WebPack" we stopped including that license.  And actually, since the time when Xilinx did that, running the DisplayPort design just now is the first time I ran into a license issue (again, not installing licenses on my machine).  Also, it seems that the QuickStart card was never updated.  I've noted that.  I currently run 2020.1 Vitis install (Vivado / Vitis) on my Windows Machine for validation and quick tests.  I never installed a license, as I try to mimic what customers might be doing and it is hard to see that when you install a full up developer license or one of the other "give you every feature" license.  Regardless, on my windows machine, I was able to create a Vivado output using the Xilinx ZCU106_hdmirx design from the VCU TRD without issue. Extract, run script, check for output.  Please MIND the path length...that can cause you issues under Windows.

Suspecting the PL DisplayPort IP block being another question you might have, I then tried a similar design with a DisplayPort IP Block and that failed.

If you pull up licenses manager you can see all the licenses you have.

easiest way is open Vivado, then under "Help" --> "Manage License..."

As you can see I do not have a v_dp (the name of the license for the PL DisplayPort), but I do have the v_hdmi, which I did not add to my machine.

So, I believe you are good. If you do have issues with it, please reach out to the administrator and we'll get you sorted as you should not have to struggle with a license for a roadtest.

--Dan

P.S. if you take a look at the Avnet GIT repo, check out this file:

https://github.com/Avnet/hdl/blob/master/Scripts/ProjectScripts/embv_python1300c_fb.tcl

That is an older file, so you might want to check another branch, but that was the first one I found that had the function I was looking for.  That file starting at line 45 is how we check for licenses for designs that require that.  That might be helpful for your design if you encounter something that needs it.  For some reason, the tool itself does not look for licenses up front, only as it encounters the IP in the build process.  As such, instead of customers spending a long time on something to then discover they needed a license, we do this check up front and present a table explaining what is going on.  I cannot be certain, but I believe based on the response from that function, the main build script will exit.

ralphjy

Dan,

I learn something useful everyday .   There are so many license variants that it's hard to keep track.  I see for the PL DisplayPort that there is a dp and v_dp license.  I am using the PS GTR implementation of the DisplayPort so haven't run into any issues there although I do see that as you mentioned that I don't have either the dp or v_dp license.  I do have the v_hdmi license but it's listed as "DesignLinking" so I'll try that hdmirx design in Vivado to make sure I don't have any issues.  It's possible I may not be able to write the bitstream if this is a simulation only license.   I notice that your license is listed as "bought".   I have to admit I don't pay much attention to licenses unless something doesn't work.

--Ralph

drozwood90

Ralph,

Yes, licensing can get complex fast!

Look at the version of your tools.  See that I am on 2020.1, you look to be on 2019.1  That's likely the difference we are seeing in the HDMI.  And yes, you do NOT need a license for the PS GTR based DisplayPort.  That comes "free" as the "fee" is covered in buying the chip.  The same goes for any of the other PS blocks and the VCU.  It is also why using the VCU IP blocks in Vivado fails unless you choose a VCU capable chip.  While you COULD use the VCU DDR controller, the tool (last I checked) would not allow it without having a VCU capable chip selected.

--Dan

ralphjy

Hi Dan,

Thought I'd give you an update.  It took me a while to get the 2020.1 tools loaded, but I did verify that I still only have the limited licenses.  I think you've got something extra in your setup that gives you these licenses.  Also not sure why my Version Limit shows up as 2020.05 while yours are 2020.12 and 1.0.

I also did verify using the hdmirx design with the 2019.2 tools that my interpretation of "Design_Linking" is correct.  I can work with the design in Vivado but I can't write the bitstream.  I think this is probably what the other roadtester encountered.

I'm pretty late in the roadtest (deadline is August 30) so I think that I won't bother asking Randall for a license.  I really would have liked to try out these other elements and use them for my project but I may need to simplify my project to complete in the roadtest window so I wouldn't be able to justify asking for the license in that context.   I really appreciate the opportunity to work with this hardware.  It's a great collection of hardware but working through the tools and version issues consume a lot of the roadtest window.  I hope that I'll be able to get a lot more done post roadtest.  I'm glad that the VCU doesn't require a license as that was my primary interest in this roadtest.

Thanks,

Ralph